DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine

DemandredFO

The prequel is New Spring.  It has been a while since I read it, but I don't recall any references to the Green Man (possibly something in passing?).  New Spring covers the Aiel expedition against King Laman, the prophecy/exclamation about the Dragon being reborn on the slopes of Dragonmount, Moiraine starting her search, and Moiraine meeting Lan.  Also,  why the initial attempts by the White Tower to find the infant failed because the Sisters made an obvious (but wrong) assumption.

If you don't read the prequel, you will miss out on the details, but you really don't miss the main story thread.  So, when should you read the prequel?  Maybe after reading Book 7, 8, or 9; you are already hooked on the series, but you need a change of pace (from the Perrin/Faile deal).

my personal suspicion is that we will find out in AMOL. Moiraine coming back will be an important part of the story and when all is said and done, i suspect (like many other great series), there will be alot of questions answered. The birth of her knowledge may very well be one of those loose ends tied up and I think RJ would have passed this information on to Harriet and others. It seems too vital to the plotline to leave out and is connnected to so many other plot lines.

I haven't seen this anywhere else but if it is apologies.  Do you have any idea why moiraine went to the Green Man the first time or what information she obtained, if any?

My personal guess is that she made Lan her warder so she could have him to guide her through the Blight.To search out the Green Man.

Hahaha. That made me laugh, stoneface. That Perrin/Faile nonsense gets CRAZY.

Anyway, I don't think we'll find out in Memory of Light because it's not that important. I think whatever she learned then has already helped her to this point and lived out its course, whatever it was. Perhaps it was about fighting Rand, or something she had to do for herself. I'm not sure.

Also, I don't remember Lan ever having gotten there.. but it's possible. I think she went alone, though, but again I could very much be mistaken.

Also, does the Green Man give knowledge? I really need to hear that last bit about him again and why they went there in the first place... -__- I know they were finding him out of need, and then.. the battle bit, and what they find. But that's it.

Seems more like a spirtual thing, though. Dunno, all guesswork.

I doubt it will be explained in A Memory of Light. RJ probably planned it for his third prequel, the one depicting the months or so leading up to Moiraine's "in the nick of time" arrival at the Two Rivers.

Unfortanetly we will never know.

Briwan Dragain, I think the Green Man(Someshta) does give knowledge as well as being the guardian of the Eye.  His knowledge however is imperfect because of whatever happened to him.  I think people went to find it, similar to quests for the holy grail and aren't interested in Someshta but he is there if you need him.  It just so happened that, that time Rand and crew needed to find him to thwart Ishameal.

Thanks. Also, that actually brings up a pretty good point.. his knowledge not being completely perfect. Not that it really helps, since we don't know what Moiraine learned there or if it really did help her.

Alas, I think this will go down with 'What was Book's back story?' from Firefly as something we just won't know.

I've assumed much the same that it had something to do with finding the Dragon Reborn, since this has been her life's mission.  There really wasn't much for her to go on for finding him. She very likely would have hit a dead end somewhere that would have required her to seek out extraordinary help.  New Spring doesn't include her first finding of the Green Man, its timespan is pretty short though.

And for the Perrin/Faile thing....ugh, I'm sick of those two, and am contemplating skipping the chapters where they appear.

Archived