DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My asmo theory

SonAr

Ok here is my personal theory on asmos death:

The coincidence in Rands announcment about recruting male channelers and asmodeans death i think are crucial.

We are pretty sure tazrim is a darkfriend, so he has to be known to some forsaken and the dark one for sure. Slayer has to be known to all forsaken and at the commands of the darkone. So lets look at events in LOC - shadar speaks with osangar and tells him he will channel when he tells him to, and that he will take orders from shadar now.

It means it has a plan for osangar as he has plans for all the forsaken from now on. The plan for osangar is probably to pretend to be dashiva. But if it was planned by the darkone and shadar it means it was planned a bit earlier.

Lets look at chronology, asmodean dies after rands announcment and before tazrims comming. If asmodean is a traitor and knew of tazrim being a DF he had to die, couse he could tell rand. Also he could maybe recognise somehow dashiva? Or maybe he was just standing in the way of letting the lord of chaos rule in chaos, guiding him and teaching him things he should not know.

That makes him a pain in the ass for the Darkone. So the DarkOne uses Slayer to kill asmo. Asmo should know Slayer and since Slayer is the only one capable of disposing of the body without channeling, he had to be the killer!

If it would be someone channeling - a lot of power would have to be used for balefire (look at when moggy used it to try to kill nyneave - she said people  far away could sense it) or any other wave to dispose of the body would also require a lot of power, and rand and female channelers were present there and noone felt any use of power. So short of gholan who could done it somehow and eat the body - and that is too absurd, or some mydrael - which would be unlikely to dispose of the body (and asmos reaction to a mydrael would be diffrent remember he is a forsaken and mydraels obey forsaken - shadar coudnt have done it since most forsaken took him for a normal mydrael at first and tried to order him, asmo would try to do the same). So that leaves us only slayer and im 99% sure it was him. Tazrims DF secret is covered and rand looses his teacher, noone can tell him if its really Laws therin he has in his head, or he is going mad, while asmo could tell asure him in one way or the other. DarkOne is happe. Period

Whadda ya think?

Two quick things:

RJ said the DO didn't order a hit on Asmo.

The first mention of amnesty for male channelers if they come to Rand is at almost the same time as Asmo's murder. That mention was only to Bashere and the two maiden guards if they were listening. The next book starts a month after this day, so we don't know much about the interim except that a few people have shown up in Caemlyn to learn to channel in the interim.

I do not buy your theroy at all, to many signs point to female chosen.  never in the many rereads that i have had, had i ever suspected wolf killer.  While i may agree that taim is freind of the dark, we have no pov from him.  he could very well be a power hungry ass.  Beliveing he is a friend of the dark, does not make him one.  Also, the use of the one power seems to happen in the blink of an eye, luc does not use the one power.  I hardly think even the small amount of power Asmodean can use could not stop whatever luc did, even looking for wine.  it happened so fast, one power had to be used.

No, Taim is definitely a darkfriend now...the whole "Let the lord of chaos rule" statement at the end of KoD's kinda sealed the deal if all the circumstantial evidence didn't.  The only question is whether he has always been a Darkfriend, and did he turn voluntarily or was he forced (i.e. 13 channelers/13 myrddraal)? and when did he turn?

Not knowing who it is, I have one theory which I think narrows it down to one of the good guys. Or gals.  Asmodean's reaction when he opens the door is one of question more than it is shock.  As if he looks at the person in the closet, knowing he is going to die, but not believing what he is seeing until that person actually kills him.  It is someone he never suspected would even want to kill him.  It also does not have to be someone who can channel.  They could just as easily hidden the body somewhere as make it dissappear with the one power.  Since RJ stated that only one person guessed correctly, I suspect it is a good character that no one would make the connection to.

It must have been balefire, I thought I saw somewhere that Shai'tan said that because of where and how Asmodean was killed I can't bring him back.  The How must have been balefire unless Shai'tan lied, which is always possible.

Asmodean was cut off from the dark one by rand, so thats why he couldnt be brought back by him again. As for mazrim taim being a darkfriend... COME ON ! he is using the OP for almost 20 years!!! And he isnt mad, while most channelers get mad after 1-2 years... So dont you think its obvious he is a darkfriend and the darkone protects him? Its strange not all false dragons went to the dark to be protected from the madness as forsaken are.

Back to asmo:

As for balefire - someone would have sensed it and noone did, so if it was a channeler it had to be TP, that leaves only moridin and moridin couldnt have done that. The reason noone felt channeling leads me to believe that it wasnt a channeler so leads to slayer as the most likely suspect. If it was a female channeler using balefire every aes sedai, wise woman and aviendha sittin a few metres away would notice. And also remember aviendha can spot waves that have been used in the past (TPOD she brakes her wave apart so noone will be able to reconstruct it). So she might be able to pickup a female wave of power to kill asmo ,or a portal to travel by the forsaken, who might have stayed in the palace. So that is why i think the theory on WOTwiki about female forsaken dressed up as servants, lacks sense. IT couldve been only grandeal if she used  TP but could she done that? And if not her or slayer it must be someone who we wont be able to suspect until we read it in AMOL, and the tip by RJ might be becouse someone just made a absentminded comment and guessed right by accident.

It must have been balefire, I thought I saw somewhere that Shai'tan said that because of where and how Asmodean was killed I can't bring him back.  The How must have been balefire unless Shai'tan lied, which is always possible.

Asmodean was cut off from the dark one by rand, so thats why he couldnt be brought back by him again.

DemandredFO: it  was a statement from RJ at a signing. I don't remember if it was confirmed, etc...

SonAr: RJ's talked about this, I think question of the week. In short, that wasn't what Rand did at the end of tSR. I think all we know for sure is that Rand severed Asmo's Taint Filter .

Asmodean was cut off from the dark one by rand, so thats why he couldnt be brought back by him again. As for mazrim taim being a darkfriend... COME ON ! he is using the OP for almost 20 years!!! And he isnt mad, while most channelers get mad after 1-2 years... So dont you think its obvious he is a darkfriend and the darkone protects him? Its strange not all false dragons went to the dark to be protected from the madness as forsaken are.

Couple of things: First, RJ cut down the "Black Cords equal transmigration" at Dragoncon a couple of years ago so Asmo still could have been brought back unless he was balefired, which we don't know for sure

We don't know how long Taim has been channeling for exactly.  We know that he is younger than he appeared to Rand when they first met as he was "rather worse for wear" but other than that we have very little idea.  I think its obvious that he is a darkfriend now, but we cannot pinpoint when he became one.

SonAr, there is no set time to go mad with the use of the one power. The only thing for sure was that they would go Mad eventualy.  I suspect that he is a friend of the dark, one of the new dreadlords.  But, that does not mean anything.  He could be being used by one of the forsaken as a tool. Until we get a pov, from him or someone with him cleary stating he is a friend of the dark, it is still an opinion.

You are saying that someone would have had to feel the op on the balefire, why would you base everything on that? Most of what we have learned of the op is based on Aes Sedai, and has been proven over and over, they most certianly do not know everything, or even a 10th of everything.

If Asmodean had died any other way besides balfire, he most certianly would a guest of the Great lord Of the Dark.

Archived