DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

worst scene

Guest leebarr

Guest leebarr

What is the scenes in the books that could have been left out. I think some of elyan's or nyn scenes could have been left out mainly because I really do not like these chacters.

Ironic since I'm already having this discussion on another board but here goes:

Elayne and Nynaeve while annoying are very essential to the story and they are annoying because they are well written by RJ to be that way.

Scene that makes me cringe every time however: The one with Mesanna where it goes "until she found a way to teach them all!!!" Its in both LoC and the BWB and it kills me everytime.  Somebody mentioned it on TL and it just reminded me how bloody annoying the scene and line is.

The scenes that are annoying to me are whenever Berelain went on a manhunt after Perrin, or any other man. To me, it looks like it is obvious that she was trying to hook up with a man of power such as Perrin, and sleep her way up higher in the world. Granted, from her pov, she may have good reasons for this, but to me, that is just extremely annoying.

<Quick side track for a Rant> :):):D

By the way, I think I am one of the few WOT fans who likes all of these female lead characters such as Egwene, Nynaeve, Elayne, Faile, Aviendha, Min, Tuon, Cadsuane, and Moiraine. Instead on focusing on their negatives only as human characters, I enjoy taking a balanced look of their motivations and entire personality. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the female fans are just as infuriated at some of the male lead characters as us male fans are at some of the female lead characters. <Rant Over> :D :)

Lay off Berelain...she's a good girl.

How can you like all those other strong female characters but have a axe to grind with Berelain?  Egwene's acted like a stuck up B#*# for about 5 books, but she's okay? All Elayne can think of is baths and what dress her and Avi should wear that day, and Faile's capture and release was the most drawn out annoying storyline of the past 3 books.  The rest of the females listed I ahve no issues with and actually like reading about.

Egwene's arrogance gives her the strength to prevent the other Aes Sedai from turning her into a puppet Amyrlin Seat. Elayne's situation is different since she arrived in Andor, and she has changed, but being pregnant and fighting for a throne that one believes should have always rightfully been hers because she was the crown princess does change a person. Yeah, Elayne has her faults, and lots of 'em, but she ain't as bad a person as many see in her. :)

As for Berelain, .. a good girl? she is a full grown adult woman, and she chased after a married man for how long??? :)

Pretty much every scene Faile is in. She's a crazy b%#&%, I don't have too much of a problem with that, but she's totally messed up Perrin for me. He was my favorite until TSR.

Another stupid scene is from aCoS, where Mat mutters "Those bloody flaming women", and Lan grips the hilt of his sword and says 'coldly', "I hope you don't include my wife".

On another note, the Mesaana line is probably the single most cheesy sentence in all of the books. I don't think it's even trying to be a funny pun, but rather something to build up how hardcore and evil she is. It totally misses the mark.

Elayne's baths and dressing routines were excessively boring.  I know, she's nobility and all and those things are important for her.  But they're dull for me as a reader and didn't think they deserved as many words as they were given.

Faile's drawn out rescue and Perrin's brooding over it were getting quiet tedious as well.  I realize that it went on so long b/c RJ wanted to resolve that plotline at the same time with other events, so it needed to wait for other things to happen.  But that didn't prevent it from being dull.

Egwene's umpteenth kidnapping was annoying.  She's really making a profession of it now.

And of course, how nearly every female character shares the same basic personality.  I've never actually met a woman who sniffs and smooths her skirts like an addiction.  But Randland has no shortage of them.

When her chapter came in Crossroads and the bathing and dressing never seemed to end.  I had to scan the next few chapters, just to make sure she did eventually do something that day.

A few things that have always really bugged me in WoT are how all the servants, everywhere they go, love their jobs.  Love them to the point of getting very defensive over every slight toward their masters.  Which is very unrealistic given that these people would have all been born into servatude.  And how despite a long winter, and a terrible drought, followed by another cold winter, there don't seem to be massive food shortages anywhere, in fact Tear seems to be doing as well as ever.  Given the population of the big cities, and the agriculture of the time, there's no way any of them would be able to eat.  And yet, a borderlander army of 200,000 doesn't have to much trouble, nor the massive Aiel armies and Seanchan scattered everywhere.  The chaos and banditry that has sprang up everywhere would only make it much worse.  But this has been glazed over too far.  Even to the point where all the major players have cups of hot spiced wine following them around wherever they go.  RJ didn't seem to want to take the logistics of what it takes to support medieval armies.

I am only on the 4th book but thus far the scene that most induced a gag reflex was the scene where Nynaeve, Egwene, and Elayne are getting ready to depart from the Stone of Tear and Lan bursts and has this really sappy moment with Nynaeve and even kisses her I think.  Some of the romance is well done, some is just silly and totally out of characters for those involved.  Lan kissing Nynaeve in front of everyone else?  Come on!

Elayne thinks too much. Half or whole chapters are spent with her in the hallway thinking about Rand, or not wanting to meet merchants or Norry, it's quite irritating and slow. I have actually stopped my reread (at CoT) because the next 5-6 chapters or so are about her, Arymilla and Egwene. Though Egwene's story does get interesting going into Knife of Dreams.

I also think the chapter about Elaida in ACoS could have been taken out, save her for prologues.

It wasn't sappy.  It simply showed how far Nynaeve has been able to push Lan out of his comfort zone.  Also, if you recall, Nynaeve was actually upset about him doing it public...though he did take her breathe away.

I was thinking more out of character for Lan than for Nynaeve.  It just seemed so, well, un-Lan like, especially in front of Egwene and Elayne.  RJ seemed to have spent the entire first two book building Lan up as this rock, devoted to Moraine to the death.  Suddenly Nynaeve is the rock and Lan seems all blubbery and love struck.

It wasn't sappy.  It simply showed how far Nynaeve has been able to push Lan out of his comfort zone.  Also, if you recall, Nynaeve was actually upset about him doing it public...though he did take her breathe away.

I was thinking more out of character for Lan than for Nynaeve.  It just seemed so, well, un-Lan like, especially in front of Egwene and Elayne.  RJ seemed to have spent the entire first two book building Lan up as this rock, devoted to Moraine to the death.  Suddenly Nynaeve is the rock and Lan seems all blubbery and love struck.

Love can make people act out of character so I think it's quite realistic.

I'm going to get you guys off the love topic. I want to kill Berelain with my bare hands, so I wish I could say every scene Berelain is in should be cut, but I think we all know that can't happen, because Perrin wouldn't get so much face time. Anyway... I agree the whole rescue thing should never have happened. Mesema is enough of a pain, all his intrigue could have been shown on the way to Rand without all that silliness. I am reading COT right now - and there is the part where Perrin and Balwer are going somewhere to talk and IT TAKES LIKE 3 PAGES for them to get where they are going. I gotta ask - where is the editing, people?

WAY too much time has been devoted to Elayne's story arc , and , to a certain extent , Matrim and Perrin's Arc. Some chapters involving Egwene are also , in my opinion , very draggy . Vast swarthes of the Crossroads of Twilight , Parts of Winter's Heart and a small portion of the path of daggers could have been ommited out . The Knife of Dreams However was superbly written , Leagues ahead of the past two books .

I also feel that the Cleansing of Saidin was rather rushed and truncated . I always feels that the most momentous events often consume a very small portion of the pages .

As tolkien said:  It is not possible to please everyone at all points in a really long tale, to some the parts that are a blemish are to others specially important.  It was something like that and I think it's deliberate, RJ wanted to make his characters as human as possible.  Now, for my post.  parts with Perrin and Egwene are my least favorite.  I never really liked Perrin, he seemed dull, I like Egwene earlier on, but since that Mat scene in tDR, I have disliked her.  My favorite scenes with her since then have been her get strapped by the Wise Ones and then Silviana.  One of the reasons I dislike her is because with all of her experiences, she should be a much less arrogant Aes Sedai but she falls right into the Aes Sedai mold.  Most Aes Sedai either annoy or intrigue me.  One of the things I find hilarious about Aes Sedai is they scoff at Asha'Man being Gaurdians, yet they don't see the contradiction in calling themselves Aes Sedai(Servants of All).  I got annoyed by Nyneave too but now I like because of how she's changed

First of all, I would like to state,the reason I realy like The Wheel of Time is all the descriptions and depth of the scenes. I have read alot of people *non fans* consider it fluff and what not, but I feel that is what makes them great.  I loved Perrin until he fell in love with,Falcon. Now I realy hate him, but I continue to read and reread. :)

Taken as a whole, I am not sure any scene should be dicounted. The ability of Robert Jordan, to let us know these Characters is what makes us all read and reread the series. Sure, some hate Elayne, Egwene and etc.. etc...  But we have seen all of the two rivers folk grow way beyond who they were in the eye of the world.  Without all of these scences, we would be scrathing our heads, saying where the hell did that come from.

Now, with all my fluff out, I would like to state, the whole perrin chasing after Faile is way to long. Other than that I love it the way it is.

Any scene with Cadsuane. The only reason she exists it to show that no matter how much any AS may think they are the top of the food chain, there is always another who is nastier at intrigue, Know-it-all-ism, rudeness, and just plain "don't mess with me because i'm Aes Sedai". in fact, half the time since she's been wedged into the books, i've expected someone else to pop up that Caddy bows and scrapes to.

WAY too much time has been devoted to Elayne's story arc , and , to a certain extent , Matrim and Perrin's Arc. Some chapters involving Egwene are also , in my opinion , very draggy . Vast swarthes of the Crossroads of Twilight

I was told before I got that far in the series, that book 10 sucked. Many people I run into didn't bother with book 11 after they read CoT.

So, now I warn friends that they don't need to waste their time reading CoT.  It really has no point as there are only about 5 pages you need to read.  I guess there is some character development and I'm glad that I read it, but I don't want people to not read Knife of Dreams because they got fed up with CoT.

So, I tell them to read chapter summaries or just read the Wikipedia page on the book.  Unless, they were really really enjoying it all, then I encourage them to read it all.

The scene where Rand couldn't kill Lanfear and then mentally beat himself up about it afterwards because Moriaine ended up doing what he should have done.  I wanted to slap him upside the head and knock some sense into him, like what Nynaeve, Elyane, or Egwene would say, "fool man!". ;D  I just started lord of chaos and Rand has become quite moody and morose and tries too hard at suppressing his emotions it's somewhat annoying.  Oh, and I thought those dreams he has had about a naked Min, Elayne, and Aviendha in the pool are so corny. lol

I'm really not a fan of all rand's emo-whine-guilt complex "women have died for/because of me" bits to say the least, they get on my nerves majorly. And to be honest I'm surprised that the forsaken/Moradin didnt catch wind of it and send Cyndane/Moghedien/Semirhage/Graendal/Mesaana to blow him away, risk-free, during the stage when killing Rand was A-Okay anyway.

He would have deserved it if they toasted him.

I just think "Rand, stop acting like an idiot" and have to surpress the urge to possess Cadsuane and paddle him till he can't sit on whatever ugly new throne has been made for him to replace the old one.

Archived