DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Yet another newbie to this forum. Yankee says hello.

yankee

Hi @ll,

the wheel of time fell into my hands last year while I was staying in the USA. It was really accidently. I asked a friend whether he has something to read for me since I was going to go some place by train and I was very bored and he gave me "The Eye of the World". The next couple of weeks I kept reading. I laid the books down to eat or to sleep, but most of the time I kept reading. I have never been to caught by any book at all. Considering that it was the first fantasy book I ever touched I have been very lucky indeed to start off with the best fantasy book I can imagine :-).

Anyway. I stayed for 10 months in the USA and returned home to Germany afterwards. I discovered the books in the last couple of weeks while I was staying in the US.

Unfortunatelly nobody knows the book here in Germany. Or at least I have never met anybody who knew it. I miss the oppertunity to tell somebody "Yes, and the Lord Captain Commander of the Whitecloaks married the Amyrlin Seat". Nobody would understand that here.

Finally I have to add some comment to my name. I like flying a lot and I sometimes fly gliders. Thus I am fimiliar with the ICAO-alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Ecko,...). Yankee means simply "Y" in the ICAO alphabet. At the point where I choose yankee as my nickname I did not know that there is a baseball-team called "New York Yankees" or something like that. I discovered that later when I played several online-games and americans said something to me like "yankees are stupid" or whatsoever.

I decided not to change the name. I like it. It is rare, it is easy pronouncable, it is memorizable and everybody can write it without that I need to spell it. Be assured that the name does not have any political background and that it is nothing to do with baseball at all.

Have a lot of fun!

Hi,

Welcome to Dragonmount(DM). I dicovered the WoT series by accident also. As for you being lucky to have found this series first, I am not so sure about that. You see, I red other fantasy books before WoT and was able to enjoy them because I was not camparing them to the writings of the brilliant RJ, may he rest in peace.

At any rate welcome. On this site you will find plenty of people to talk with about the Lord Captain Commander and Amyrlin Seats' secret affair. Let me recommend that you check out the Wolkin org, we are the official nature org of DM and would appreciate any picture you have taken while flying one of your gliders or any other outdoor pictures you have.

Guest Stefania Sedai

Welcome to DM! And I think that Yankee is a fine name, don't let anyone tell you any different!  ;)

Yeah, it's great to have people to talk to about this series that seems to have enchanted us all. My husband doesn't get how I can be reading the same series for the 3rd time. He says that he is going to buy me some new books, but I tell him that it won't make a difference! I'll just keep reading and rereading WoT!

When you get your feet under you here on the boards, I would like to invite you to come over and visit the Band of the Red Hand. We are the music and trravel ORG, but we are so much more! We have lots and lots of fun together. We'd love to have you join us!

Thank you all for your welcome and your invitations.

I keep looking for a "documentation" of this forum. Some document that explains the structure. The first time time I saw the Organizations category I wondered what the hell those organizations are :-). I think I got an idea now... It is really just a group of people I can identify with to have fun... Am I right?

At least it sounds like a very good idea. The forum is too big otherwise :-).

That is pretty much the idea. Each ORG tries to offer something different as a focus. The Band of the Red Hand is the music and travel ORG, while the Seanchan are the entertainment ORG. Most have a ranking structure - some keep to WoT as much as possible, others don't. And each ORG has internal activites as well, for example, the Band has a lottery game, a RPG-style game based on the roll of some dice and much much more! So why not pop on by! ;)

Oh, and welcome to DM! :) Have fun!

Hey Yankee, welcome to DM, and your names fine with me (but then I'm not American so wouldn't know about baseball teams) ;D

I recommend the Band and the Wolfkin as mentioned here already, but most places would love to see you drop by we are a pretty friendly bunch...so make sure you have fun.

Oh and there should be a thread at the top of this board explaining a few things, at least there used to be, so try there first ;D

Archived