How Long???

Andrew B.

What do you know most about?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you know most about?

• "Hard" Sciences (specified below)
    • Languages(Specified below)
    • Social Sciences(Specified below)
    • Anatomy, ;-)(you all get two votes in case you need to vote here and somewhere else)
    • Other (Specified below)

• 2 weeks later...

3333 pages or not at all

well over 1988 would be acceceptable, not inclueding the glossary but i want what we were promised or i'm going to have a tantrum.

even if it were absolue crap, which it will definatly not be, it would be something to tell people about on the bus, :twisted:

me: hey i've a 2000 page book you know

Random traveler 1:(shuffles away to edge of seat and gets of next stop)

me: really its actually over 2000 pages

random commuter 2:really thats nice dear.

me:i bet you haven't a 2000 page book?

random dude/ette on bus 3:AHHHHHHHH*jumps under wheels of next bus.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If it does get too long to be published cost effectively as a single book they could always cut it in half, though if they do they had better release the second volume no more than a week after the first or I will be pissed.

I doubt it will be any longer than Lord of Chaos. Jordan does not need to set anything else up, he needs to finish things which take much less space, especially the way he writes. I think it will be an incredibly action packed book with almost no filler, but nowhere near as long as people are thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
come on guys' date=' if he cut out all the dress discriptions and killed of all the subplots it could be done under 1000 pages easy.[/quote']

But he won't do that. This is RJ we're talking about. He's got to give us the whole package, or he won't feel he's done a good enough job.

I wish one of those who complain of dress descriptions in Jordan’s books would one day count how much space in the books is actually taken by those descriptions. Just take a couple of Egwene or Elayne chapters, count the number of lines on a page and the number of lines taken by dress descriptions. More likely you’ll see that all those complaints were too much exaggerated. I think RJ’s illness may influence his style in some way, though there’s no way to tell now how exactly it may influence him.

It’s a pity we don’t know the word count of at least one book in the series. Say, LoC is only 100 longer than PoD, but the print size and margins used in the books are very different. If the two books had been printed with the same print size, I doubt PoD would have more than half as many pages as LoC. KoD has the greatest page count so far, but it’s not the longest book in the series. For my own part, I believe many people take Jordan’s words about a 1500-page book too seriously. They show his determination to finish the series in one book, rather than an actual estimation of how long the book will have to be. When after CoT was released he said he hoped to finish the series in two books, three at most, I believe he had divided the remaining plot into two approximately equal parts. In his recent interview to locus he said he had managed to include in KoD everything he had wanted except one thing. That thing would have made the book 200 pages longer, but now he knows how to write it quicker. Let’s not forget that the state of things at the beginning of AMoL will be very different from the state of things at the beginning of KoD. He’s completed enough plotlines in KoD. A lot of people who occupied a lot of space in previous books probably won’t be seen in AMoL at all, so this time Jordan will have an easier task. So, if TOR keeps the same print size that was used in KoD I don’t expect the book to be bigger than 1000-1050 pages at most, maybe not even as long as that (say, 900-950 pages). Though if I prove wrong and the book really will be 1500 pages long I won’t mind.

Archived