DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Rooms and New People (Attn: Sana, Rodrik, and Baine)

Zachary

Maldrin looked at the note in his hand. It held the address for his new room in the barracks. He shifted slightly as the hilt of his scimitar dug into his side. He was still unused to the weight of his weapons, although he had finally managed to walk without tripping over the scabbards. For the most part, he admitted ruefully to himself.

Hefting his bags, which held a change a change of clothes and a few personal items, he headed for the barracks. Inside the barracks, he glanced at the room number and headed to the left. Glancing at the numbers for each room, he realised he was going in the opposite direction as his room. Sighing silently, he shook his head and turned around.

After a few minutes walking, he reached what must be his new room. But there was something a bit odd. Someone was already there. And appeared to be moving as well.

Approaching the person, Maldrin coughed to announce his presence. "Um, could I help you?"

Ursana was not having the best day of his life. No, the best day of his life involved a small inn, a lot of dancing, a certain village girl, and a small room to call their own for the evening until it was time to move on in the early morning to some other exptic destination.

Being told that he was getting a roommate in what had so far been a private room was not his idea of a good time. Being told that 3 others would be rooming with him was certainly not a good time. It wasn't like he was used to having a room since he was a traveller by nature and calling, but in the few weeks he'd been here, he'd had this space all to himself. Until this afternoon when he was told to clean his stuff up and make room because they had some new people bunking in.

So Ursana was now clearing and cleaning everything up. He was just putting away the rest of his clothes, which were mostly still in a napsack strangely enough, when someone walked in.

"Um, could I help you?" The someone asked in a surprised voice.

Ursana smiled. Alright, so not the best day in his life, but he had always enjoyed being around people. Maybe having roommates would help him take his mind of what he was doing here. Thoughts of running back to the trading caravan had invaded more than one session with his mentor and resulted in bruises. Thoughts of his sister just seemed to make it worse since he'd barely seen her since waking up in the White Tower. Yes, roommates would be a good thing.

"I'm Ursana Tahn Sakhr. Trainee. I take it your one of my new roommates." He said, extending a hand. "Call me Sana."

Maldrin blinked at the hand blankly for a minute, then belated took it. "Maldrin."

A roommate? He thought to himself, slightly disconcerted. Did the note say anything about that? With that thought, he looked at the note in his hand, chewing his bottom lip as he looked at it's contents.

No, nothing about any roommate. Maybe she forgot to mention it? Suddenly, he realized he'd completely forgotten about the person in front of him. His new roommate, apparantly. "Oh, I'm sorry. It's just that the message sent to me mentioned nothing about a roommate." Maldrin showed the note to Sana. After a few seconds, his mind suddenly registered an unwelcome, and slightly startling, meaning to the other's words.

"Wait, did you say roommates, as in more than just us?" Maldrin asked, slightly apprehensive. Living with one stranger was more than enough. Two strangers would be stretching it.

Ursana tried not to laugh at the other boys confusion. Light, he'd learned not to laugh too much at strangers from that girl in the Yards. A lesson very well learned, though it didn't keep him from smiling at the question.

"Wait, did you say roommates, as in more than just us?"

"Yes, more than just us. Two more actually. You're the first one that's shown up. I don't know anything about them yet. So, where you from Maldrin? Been here long?"

"Yes, more than just us. Two more actually."

Maldrin groaned, slapped his forehead, and sat down heavily right there on the floor. Unfortunatly, he'd forgotten his sword at his side. As he was going down, the scabbard hit the ground with the end, which caused it to push up and go right into his side knocking the air from his lungs and causing some unpleasant cracks to come from his side.

Wheezing, he rolled to his uninjured side, holding his injury and tearing up in pain. Even then, rolled up in agony and possibly with some cracked or possibly broken bones, he realized how funny that must have been. Any other time and he'd be enjoying a good laugh, but at the moment all he could do was groan slightly.

A goodly time later, after being carried to one of the beds by Sana, My good friend Sana, he thought to himself with no small amount of gratitude, he was feeling much better, it only slightly hurting to breathe.

"Note to self; Do not sit down on the ground without using your arms when wearing a sword." Maldrin said ruefully, looking at the ceiling. "I suggest you heed that as well, Sana." Hurting yourself seemed to break the ice fairly well. Though Maldrin didn't think he'd ever recommend it.

"Note to self; Do not sit down on the ground without using your arms when wearing a sword. I suggest you heed that as well, Sana."

Sana smiled, but refrained from laughing. Again. Not about to get pummelled as soon as his new roommate was able to sit up again. "I will keep that in mind." He said. "Especially when I start wearing a sword on my hip."

The whole thing had been a bit surreal, but as Sana had helped his roommate up into a bed he had to admit that this was far more entertainment than he had expected for the night.

"At least it won't get boring with a couple roommates around." Ursana said with a grin. "You feeling OK now?"

"At least it won't get boring with a couple roommates around. You feeling OK now?"

Maldrin sat up carefully and probed his side. Hurt almost as much as when he'd broken his ribs, but felt like everything was in one piece. "Yeah. Nothing seems to be broken. Will probably hurt like a bloody horse kick for the next week, but I suppose it'll serve as a reminder not to do that again."

He layed back down and stared at the ceiling for a couple minutes. Then he sighed sadly and shook his head. "I seem to be cursed when it comes to weapons. First I cut a swath from my face when I was a kid, then I hit a horse in the nose and break my ribs only a few months ago, now this." He replayed those various scenes in his mind. He saw himself running around, half blinded by blood running through his eyes and tripping, saw himself bending over as he recieved a sharp kick to the chest while attempting to soothe that horse, and then curling up into a ball while holding his side only minutes before.

He gasped for breath as those thoughts finaly reduced him to gales of laughter. It was so hilarious, how he got himself into those sorts of situations. The laughter made his side ache, but he couldn't stop. It was just too. Funny.

Alright. Maldrin the Mad. His first roommate and he was definitely mad as an 85 year old Ashaman. This could be fun.

Sana smiled at Maldrin as he laughed and just shook his head. "You know, I think i'm keeping my weapons away from you. Light only knows what you'd do to yourself with them." He was still smiling though and he made the comment in jest. "Actually, I've never been around weapons all that much, except always having a walking stick that worked pretty good as a staff." He said as his... friend... got himself under control.

"My family runs a trading caravan and sometime we had guards along for the ride. I learned a little about the staff from them. I can play a little flute too from a gleeman that travelled with us once. Not nearly as helpful in a fight, but it does tend to help pass the time." He said.

"You know, I think i'm keeping my weapons away from you. Light only knows what you'd do to yourself with them."

Grinning, and with the occasional chuckle escaping his mouth, Maldrin replied, "Never fear, never fear. I have more than enough weapons to injure myself without a need for more." Gesturing to the assorted sheathes at his belt.

"My family runs a trading caravan and sometime we had guards along for the ride. I learned a little about the staff from them. I can play a little flute too from a gleeman that travelled with us once. Not nearly as helpful in a fight, but it does tend to help pass the time."

"Interesting. I don't play any instruments, and the closest thing to a staff was a stick I found while sneaking in the Ogier Grove. So you been all around the world? I've only ever been in Tar Valon, myself. My parents own the Amyrlin's Glory. Greatest inn in the whole of Tar Valon, with rooms only second to the Tower itself." Maldrin boasted, grinning widely at Sana.

OOC: Maldrin the Mad. Got to say, I just love that. And I'm going to have to remember that, mad as an 85 year old Asha'man.

"Ah, a Tar Valon lad." Sana said. "That's good because I don't know my way around Tar Valon all that well. Been around a lot of other places, but we didn't come to Tar Valon often and I... well... when we did come I used to head for the Taverns, gamble, that sort of thing. I have only a handful of momories. Too much drinkt he night before always got me the next day." He said with a grin. That was certainly easier than explaining the trouble he'd gotten himself into while avoiding his dearest sister.

"I liked the Borderlands. Something about them, always ready for something to happen. Everything about them is ready for battle, but then you come across something completely unexpected from them, something beautiful and exquisite. And I really enjoyed travelling to Caemlyn also. The problem with travelling all the time though is that you leave someplace almost as soon as you get there. You don't get to know the places as well as I'd like sometimes. Guess that's part of the reason i'm here." He said, gesturing to their room.

"What's got your in here?" He asked.

OOC: Not sure what you meant by "What's got your in here?", so I'm guessing it's "What's your reason for being here?" or something along those lines.

Maldrin tilted his head and thought about that. He'd never thought about why he wanted to be a warder, he just knew that he did. "Hmm.. I've never thought about why, before. I've just always wanted to join them. Maybe because of the Aes Sedai. That such powerful women need the Tower Guards and warders, and that I could be needed." He pondered that for a moment, then shrugged and smiled. "Or maybe not. Maybe I just want to kill evil doers and go into the blight every now and then for a good battle."

Grinning, he put an arm around Sana's shoulder. "Never fear, never fear. I'll show you around some when I've the time. We'll gamble away our money, pinch a barmaid or two, and get drunk as a sailor on leave. Then we'll get to the real fun with a nice bar fight."

Ursana laughed at his new found friend. "Alright, but this time if I gamble, I quit when I break even." He said, thinking of his last gambling binge. Oh, he'd won alright. He'd come out far better than even and had been mugged for it. Mugged and badly beaten. It tickled in the back of his mind that it seemed a bit off to have muggers taking that sort of chance over gambling winnings, but he pushed the thought aside.

"Always wanted to be a warder huh? Guess growing up in Tar Valon with the Aes Sedai and Warders close at hand would give you something to think about. I'd never seen an Aes Sedai until they were healing me. I don't even remember which one it was. I should remember something like that, to say thanks at least, but I don't. I bet Rosheen would know..." He drifted off then in thought.

Maldrin looked at Sana for a second, then shrugged. "All I know about that is that a Yellow most likely healed you. Though I seem to remember hearing that getting Healed wears you out, especially if you're really hurt. I'd imagine if it was bad enough to require Healing, it'd bring you unconcious or at least too tired to remember things." He said thoughtfully. People were brought from all corners of the land in the hope that an Aes Sedai could save them. And some of them had stayed at the Amyrlin's Glory and were in a good enough mood to answer some questions about it.

Suddenly, Maldrin remembered something. "So, about what you were talking about earlier, about two more roommates. Do you know anything about either of them? Names maybe?"

Ursana shrugged. Yellow sister or something else, he really should have at least said thanks. Maybe he did and he was just too tired to remember it. It seems like something he would have done.

"So, about what you were talking about earlier, about two more roommates. Do you know anything about either of them? Names maybe?"

"I don't know anything. They just told me earlier that this was gonna be a full room today, and that all 4 beds were taken now. You ever had a roommate before?"

ooc: Sorry for taking so long to post.

ic:

Rodrik was excited. His own roommates. Finally! After over a year in the Yards, he was slightly lonely. He had everything packed and was ready to move to his new room. He opened the door and exited. He was about to close the door, but he stopped, taking one long last look at what had been his home for the past year. He shut the door and walked to his new room, opening the door slowly. There were two trainees in it already, and they looked pretty friendly. They stopped talking when he entered the room. " Howdy fellas. I'm Rodrik Hellok. You must be my roomies. Glad to know you." Rodrik extended his hand to the trainees and shook their hands. He waited for them to introduce themselves.

" Howdy fellas. I'm Rodrik Hellok. You must be my roomies. Glad to know you."

Ursana looked up from his new friend to see, hopefully, another. He was a laid back kinda guy and never seemed to have any trouble making friends so he was enjoying the interaction, even if he had been unsure in the beginning about losing his privacy.

"Ursana Tahn Sakhr." He said, shaking the other's hand. "Or you can call me Sana if that mouthful is too much for you. Light, it's too much for me and i've lived with it all my life." He added with a grin. "And Maldrin." He said, nodding to the other trainee. "So, you're roommate number 3. If number 4 ever gets here we'll have a nice little party in here."

Maldrin nodded to Rodrik and smiled. "Good to meet you." Then he turned to shake his head at Sana. "You call four guys a party? We really need to get you out into the city." Without waiting for a responce, he looked back at his other roommate. "We were just talking about our new roommates. You know who the last one is?"

Ursana smiled. From the sound of things, he was going to be getting along just fine with his new roommates.

"I'm from everywhere." Sana said with a grin. "Born in Arafel, but only because that's where my family caravan was when I decided to pop out. My family trades all over the place, though my sister has been a Tower Guard for a while now. You?"

"I'm from Tar Valon. Been here all my life. Parents own the best inn in the city, Amyrlin's Glory, second only to the Tower. I'd say I know some good places to get drunk too. So if we get kicked out from your places, we'll have some back ups." Maldrin said, grinning slightly.

"Now then, I think I'll get unpacked. I assume this is my bed?" He gestured to the bed he'd been carried to, and was still currently sitting on. "Good, good. Feel comfy enough." With that, he rolled off the bed, grunting slightly as his side twinged a bit, reminding him of his recent injury. Unpacking his things, he kept an ear on his roommates' conversation.

Rodrik was amazed at where Sana said he had come from. "Your parents own the Amyrlin's Glory! That's the best place to get drunk in the entire city! A litttle expensive but still. Great! I'm from a small town on Haddon Mirk in Tear. I can scout, I can ride, and I can drink!" Rodrik picked a bed and began unpacking his clothes. "You guys ride much?" Rodrik turned to see their answers.

"You guys ride much?" Rodrik asked as he and Maldrin began unpacking their things. Ursana shook his head.

"I walked a lot. Run a lot now that I'm in training." He said with a grin. It seemed to him that running was the favorite past time of the Guards. There was always a group running around the Yards at different times of the day. "I can ride, it's just that traveling with a caravan is normally slow moving. It's easier to just walk along without having to worry about taking care of a horse. At least, to me it was."

"I don't believe I've ever ridden. I can take care of horses fine though. I was a stable lad over at the stables a few months ago, so I know how to take care of horses. But not to ride them." Maldrin said, looking at a letter in his hand and frowning.

Sighing, and putting it away, Maldrin went back to unpacking his things. "I wonder when that last roommate of ours is coming. I think I could do with a good drink and a nasty barfight." He grumbled under his breath.

"Blue" Sana said to his roommates with a smile. "And while I could use the drink, I think i'll try to avoid the Barfights. The last thing I want is to have to stumble in needing healing before I have to get back up and train in the morning." He said with a laugh. "I don't think Sovuld would take it easy on me because I had a good time the night before."

He didn't know much about the man that was training him, but the Light knew the man was tough as nails. He supposed you had to be that way to live a life of protection. Especially if anything you heard about Aes Sedai were true, women who did what they wanted, regardless of how dangerous it was, and then expected their Guards and Warders to get them out of trouble.