DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aes Sedai

Smoosh

Will "The Last Battle" really be the last battle?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Will "The Last Battle" really be the last battle?

• It will be the last battle.
    • It won't be the last battle because the Wheel of Time constantly turns.
    • Other

I think the time of the "New" Aes Sedai is coming to an end. I don't think the Asha'man will join the Aes Sedai but the Aes Sedai will join the Asha'man. The traditions of the Aes Sedai are to strict for men to easily join.

The White Tower's rules are not too strict for men as the Asha'man to become Aes Sedai.

In truth it would be the other way around. The White Tower don't kill their runaways as deserters....

And yes. I HATE the Aes Sedai. They are the most annoying and petty group in the entire WoT series.

Guest Majsju

I wonder how much of this "I hate Aes Sedai" whining comes from teenage boys who gets a hissyfit from seeing women having actual power over men...

Aes Sedai are, to a certain extents, hermits hiding away from the world. They've spent so long manipulating truth to the extent that they've even somewhat convinced themselves of their own skewed view of their own knowledge, importance and mystiqe... and until recently there was no one around to call them up on it. Now there is. the Wise Ones, the Asha'men and even the windfinders and the kin to a certain extent. Aes Sedai blindness cannot, and indeed is not really surviving in the face of that. Aes Sedai are no longer a law unto themselves, and thats begining to sink in. I don't hate Aes Sedai, i quite like them, especially now that that they are begining to come down from their high horses.

They're rules aren't strict but the Aes Sedai TRADITIONS are. Remember during Egwene's election they're was "who is woman", and all the women stripped to insure no men were present. Even the current Aes Sedai symbol, the Flame of Tar Valon, excludes men.

The Red Ajah isn't obsolete, yet. They could still reorganize their "mission statement" to stay valid, but the Aes Sedai are becoming obsolete.

I don't have a problem seeing women in power over men. I quite liked the storyline of Tylin and Mat Cauthon. She was a queen, and she got what she wanted you know?

I also like Berelain. She too is in power over men. Power over men is not the issue. The issue is condescension and a refusal to recognize that Rand in particular need not ask permission of Aes Sedia before they act.

Again, I hardly think it is an issue of Women being in control of men since I cannot stand the Aes Sedai thinking that they should or ought to be able to control the Aiel Wise Ones, or the Kin etc.

In truth it would be the other way around. The White Tower don't kill their runaways as deserters....

Remember at the time they were very dangerous since they were now trained in the power and sure to go crazy as the taint hadn't been removed yet. It would have been irresponsible to let a bunch of mad renegade Ashaman roam Randland. I wonder if they still kill them after the taint has been removed?

Probably, simply because as it is now, the Black Tower is full of secrets that Taim doesn't want revealed.

Now, as far as the Aes Sedai, no, I don't hate them. In fact, I find them damn admirable. For three thousand years they have been the authority over the world, and in less than a decade, everything they believed is different.

I'd be quite proud of myself if I could cope the same way in the same circumstances.

Guest TigerToe

They are Aes Sedai ...here them ROAR!!

This is what happens to many people as they get older....thinking they know better because they lived it(i am not discounting the wealth of information that many sane minded and sharp Oldsters posses...i once interviewed a guy whose parents came to the states Before WW1...very cool), "aint no durned whipper-snapper gonna tell me how it is!"

Its fun when overbearing women get taken down a peg or two...but this is just because i enjoy the battle too much, the battle of the sexes.

And you can't even say it's about Aes Sedai not recognizing Rand.... Firstly, how many Aes Sedai have sworn fedality to him? and Also, all his other allies don't listen to him, or show him respect. I mean, the wise ones tried to halter him themselves by trying to make him fall for Avi (the Shadow Rising and Fires of Heaven). The Seanchan have been trying to kill him for ages. The Seafolk made a bargain with him, they aren't in awe, and Mat and Perrin both ignored his orders and were off with their woman until the 11th book. If you ask me, Aes Sedai are friggin sweet, and they have handled the situations tey've been thrown in pretty damn well.

The Wise Ones didn't expect to control him. They set out to try and temper him and make him respect the Aiel enough that he didn't kill them all needlessly, and the Sea Folk saught to openly bargain with him...

The Aes Sedai, on the other hand, assumed that he would take direction from him. And that cause numerous problems, because for obvious reasons he couldn't. They in turn couldn't quite understand why he couldn't... they were, after all Aes Sedai. Thats their problem, not that they manipulate, or have power, or seek power over everything, but because in their hearts they expect to have power over everything. I respect Cadsuane because she is strong, and even overbearing, but it is internal. She defines herself. Where as the other Aes Sedai, barring a few like Verin, Moiraine etc, all define themselves by being Aes Sedai, and by others and their opinions of Aes Sedai. It makes them weak, to my mind.

In other words, you can be powerful and demandcontrol over others without lessening them as people. Aes Sedai cannot, they require for their own piece of mind that all others be less then them. Look at their regaurd for the wise ones, despite the fact that without binding themselves, they have a well respected position in their society. As a group of channelers they have been finding and training women since before the Tower was founded. They have six times the amount of channelers in the Tower--Yet Aes Sedai need to look down on them.

and the reason they make poeple what they want is because they think that those actions will be for the best.

think about the murandian lordling that suian tried to protect by kicking gareth bryne's proverbial nether-regions

they see rand and the rest and a buch of 'whipper snappers" (thankyou tigertoe) who dont see the whole picture

most of them are just doing what they think will be best in the long run..

there are always ajah politics, but there are just as many factions in any governing body; which is what they are.

neutral

mediators

advisors

Archived