DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Peacekeeper (attn: Shoar & Mia)

Arette

OOC: I p0wn you, Steve :P

IC:

Even pouring rain wouldn't have dampened Annais' mood today. She didn't want to entirely hide her cheery state of mind but she moderated her grin as it wasn't appropriate for an Aes Sedai to look like a total fool. She was usually fairly modest and level-headed woman and she didn't want to be too smug about her accomplishments because negotiating was what she did as a Gray Sister and success was expected of her. Regardless it always brought satisfaction when a treaty was reached that both sides were happy with. The parlay with the Black Tower had been the most challenging task she had ever done with the sudden change of M'Hael and walking into a suddenly foreign ground. The premise situation had been difficult and the Hall's instructions that she wasn't to compromise the Tower's dignity hadn't helped go make things easier. The Black Tower's suspicion and even slight hostility had added an extra layer to the deal but the communications between the Towers had been officially opened now and there seemed to be some genuine will to tentative discussions in the Hall as she had been allowed to bring up the possibility of ambassadors.

She was of a mind to celebrate but that was no fun alone and as she had delegated the practical arrangents to Odelia's capable hands, she could focus on personally inviting her friends to dine and dance with her tonight. Her first target had been Mia Stavros but as she spotted another person on her list, she decided to make a deviation. She had a feeling that Mia would need a bit of cajoling to spend the night so socially but she was determined that the woman would show up. Maybe Shoar could help her with that, he had been her mentor after all so he'd know how to get her to relax and enjoy.

Approaching the said man, she smiled at him merrily. "I hope that your best outfit is well groomed and you feel like dancing because you are going to attend this little gathering I am hosting. Don't forget to wash well and even behind your ears because I will be inspecting." She laughed and delighted in the reaction she expected for her next comment. "Oh, or even better, maybe I will supervise the whole bathing. You seemed to enjoy Mistress Elin's spa so much the last time." Poking his ribs she admired the becoming slight blush.

"But teasing aside, you should be really proud of your old mentee. Mia Stavros is a credit to the Tower Guards. She will also be coming so you'll get to twirl her on the dance floor too. She does dance, doesn't she?" She wasn't quite this bubbly ordinarily but today was no ordinary day. "Name the Dark One and he appears", she exclaimed as she spotted the said Guard emerging from the barracks.

"Mia! Mia Stavros!", she called and waved beckoningly. The woman seemed to have heard as she made her way toward them. "Well, technically she isn't invited ye...", she begun confiding to Shoar when she noticed the odd look on his face before he could smooth it out. It seemed like he for some strange reason wasn't quite so eager to speak with his former mentee. Were there some problems between them? Good thing that a Gray Sister was present then. She was curious now.

Annais Nevell

Gray Sister

OOC: NOES!

Shoar turned from his training as Annais approached him and he smiled broadly. He had heard she had been away and had only recently returned to the Tower.

He laughed and said "Well, I don't reall have a large range of outfits, but I think I can find something that will suffice... You're welcome to superise my bathing but I have taken to wearing pants while I do it!" he grinned impishly.

Her next words took him off guard. "Mia... I haven't yet run into her since I returned. I wasn't aware she was still here until recently..." His eyes widened and a distinct look of discomfort descended on his face as Annais pointed out Mia had just exited the Barracks "Ooohhhh boy... THIS is going to be unpleasent." Shoar's mind cast back to that fateful night, 13 years hence...

FLASH

Shoar rushed around his room, gathering his belongings. The gaping hole in his soul still fresh despite the Bond having broken 2 weeks prior. The distorted signet ring, warped by the Amyrlin Seat, sat deep in his pocket. Tears were still streaming down his face as he stuffed his packs full of belongings, a hastily scrawled note on the nearly-empty desk. To everyone, he was abandoning his post. The truth would be kept hidden from everyone, a punishment for doing his job? He barked a harsh laugh as he looked around the room, nodding. He had one more person to visit.

He strode through the halls of the Barracks, silence on the building in the dead of night. He stormed his way silently down to a certain room and opened the door. Quickly and quietly, without making a sound he strode in, putting his hand over Mia's mouth he picked her up as she woke up, wide eyes staring up at him. Carrying her out, he exited the Barracks and let her down.

"What are you doing?" she demanded angrily, eyes flashing up at him. "Shutup and listen. I... need to leave, Mia. I need to find out what happened to Nimue." The tears were still streaming down his face as she looked up at him, colour draining from her face. "Wh... What? Why?" she asked, confusion and fear spreading on her face.

Shoar shook his head and said "I need to go, to find out what happened to her. She isn't where the Tower claimed she was. I need to find out what happened to her. I NEED to." Mia's face went through a number of emotions; fear, sorrow and finally, anger. "So that's it then? You're going to abandon me? Without a word? Without TAKING ME?" she poked a finger into his chest, glaring up at hime. He responded "I am sorry, I must go alone. I... likely won't return either. Understand I need to do this... This is the third one I have lost... I need to find out. I just... I need to." He raised a hand to halt her next angry retort, tears now beginning to well up in her eyes. "Just... no. Don't make this harder then it already is." He turned and adjusted the packs on his shoulders while she stared at him, weeping with her mouth open. "I can't tell her about the exile... I can't."

He turned back to her. "I am sorry, Mia... I love you, but I am a Warder before all other things. One day I hope you understand... Goodbye." He turned and ran towards the stables as her sobs broke free. His own heart broke even more, but he had to... He had to go.

BLINK.

He blinked his eyes and eased the pouch on his belt open, slipping his hand in and taking something out of it as Mia approached, not even paying any attention to Shoar. "Not the most elegant way of handling things... I am going to be in trouble here." He kept his face blank as she arrived, unsure of how to act.

Shoar

In REAL big trouble

"Mia, you know I would never lie.  Whenever you enter the room, my pulse races as your hips sway, my mind becomes foggy as your words enter it and burn themselves indelibly upon my memory so I might treasures them long after they have been spoken for they are more precious than gold or jewels."

"So I should stop talking to you?"

Mia laughed at the rejoined that Jaz graced her with in turn.  He was persistent, but then he was persistent with nearly every single woman he knew.  Yet for all his troubadour ways, there was a little innocence inside him, more so than Aran but then that man had been strange ever since he had returned from Cairhien.  Wouldn't talk to anyone and was progressively crawling down the bottom of one bottle after the other during his waking hours.  But, he still had a few more days before they simply tied him up and forced him to sober up.

Speaking of which, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go and look for him.  He wasn't in the barracks, Jaz had checked already and that was why he'd come to the common room in the first place, to see if he were there.  He'd probably be in town somewhere, though the fact that he had no favourite bar was going to make it difficult.  At least he'd be taken care of wherever he was, he organised so many nights out and knew so many of the owners that they would take care of him.

"I think I might go for a wander, see if I can't find Aran.  You going to keep looking?"

The shrug that Jaz gave seemed more resigned than anything else.  "He'll turn up, but I think I'll keep looking anyway.  If nothing else, might see whether he's up for drinking with someone yet."

Nodding, Mia got to her feet and went to her quarters to find some boots.  Pulling on a comfortable pair, she also changed her shirt while she was at it from the basic white that was worn for training for a light blue blouse.  Fixing her hair wasn't time consuming as it was already braided, rolling it up and fixing a couple of hair pins was all that was necessary to keep it in place.

Things were moving rather smoothly until Annais caught her leaving the company barracks.  Smiling as she looked over, her face smoothed as she realised who was with her.  Taking her time to approach them, Mia was vaguely aware of Shoar's reaction but more than anything she was simply ignoring him.  He'd ignored her for thirteen years and even when he had returned he had done nothing, that had told Mia everything she had needed to know.  She wasn't going to waste her time on him.

But Annais on the otherhand was worth her time, and furthermore she doubted the woman had been aware of any problems.  Mia hadn't mentioned anything beyond him once being her mentor, and she doubted that Shoar would have mentioned a thing to the woman about it.  Stopping a few feet from the pair of them, Mia deliberately turned her body so she looked to the Gray sister rather than the pair of them.  Her tone measured and polite, she gave a simple greeting.

"Annais."

Mia Stavros

Tower Guard

Oh yes, the way Mia's appearance changed when she noticed Shoar told her volumes. There definately was something there. Mia was basically ignoring him but Annais didn't let that disturb her cordial smile. "Good day. I hope that you have recovered well from our ordeal. I definately have and I am minded to celebrate a bit tonight. You are naturally invited. No, actually I would say that you are vitally important party element as you were half of the team. It will be just a small gathering with good friends in an inn called the Dove." Well, small for her at least. The more the merrier the dancing was but only so many would fit to sit to the large table with her and they were all invited personally. "I really hope that you will come. Please?"

She turned her eyes slightly toward Shoar and decided that the topic couldn't be skirted around. "I don't know what is going on but would you mind if he were there too?" She poked Shoar's ribs again lightly. "What has he done anyway? It's always the men's fault somehow."

Maintaining her calm, Mia wondered inwardly why Annais had thought it was such a good idea to broach the topic when she could tell something was wrong.  Then again, Annais had proven a few times that she was willing to stick her head in the lion's mouth.  "Him?  I don't know him.  You won't want me at your party Annais, there is happier company you could keep."

Mia's words made Annais wince slightly. Things had gotten really bad already. But dire situations made her want to fix them even worse, especially when they involved two people she liked. "You would be mistaken, Mia", she said resolutely. "I enjoy your company, happy or grumpy, so the invitation stands." She supressed her smile at the thought of the other gift that was coming Mia's away. Likely she wouldn't appreciate Odelia measuring her and telling her exactly what kind of new clothes she needed but she had yet to meet a person who had been able to dodge Lia. Besides, by making sure that she was busy with the party preparations, Annais would manage to avoid the lecture about not taking Odelia with her no matter how unfair it was. She had been saving it and had left Annais to stew.

"And why did you shut out your mentor? What did he do?"

Mia's reply was to simply turn her back and walk away. Annais stared at her retreating form with a slight frown. Obviously that strategy hadn't worked but nothing unsalvageable had been done yet. Mia likely just didn't want to speak of the issue in front of Shoar so there would have to be a private discussion. First however she would get the other side of the story. Turning to the stone-faced man who might well be resorting to Spring, she smiled at him.

"I'm going to help you, Shoar. Why don't we sit down and make ourselves comfortable while you tell me the story. And don't even imagine squirming out of this. Since you haven't been able to sort this out yourself, another set of fingers is clearly needed with this pie."

Annais Nevell

Gray Sister

Shoar sighed and shook his head. "As stubborn as ever... Rightly so, though, I can't fault her for this." he thought as she completely ignored his presence. He slipped the medicine he had taken out back into his pouch, knowing that Mia, at least, had seen him take it out. She knew what he kept in that pouch and it would have been useless if expected.

He remained in the Spring, his anxiety pushing it to new heights of power. He KNEW he had done wrong and he knew he should say something, but at the same time he didn't know what or how. Affairs of the heart were not something he was used to, his prior relationship only ending because of the death of his partner...

He was brought back to reality by Mia storming off. She appeared relaxed and calm but Shoar still recognised the anger that had been her hallmark, but it wasn't as much as he expected. "That's not a good thing, woolhead." He started at Annais' words, watching her carefully. Then he shrugged, letting the Spring go and allowing his anxiety and sadness to come to the fore.

"What happened? I fell in love with a Mentee of mine, head over heels. It was the first time I had felt complete since Ryell. Then... I abandoned her. I left, departed for my own selfish crusade in search of Nimue or any sign of her after I had my Bond severed. I was a selfish, stupid man and still am, in many ways. I spent 13 years in the Blight trying to surive and die at the same time. No note, no word was ever sent to the Tower. Mia never knew what became of me, which is what I wanted. I wanted her to forget about me and to move on, to move past me. I was never any good to anyone, Annais." he chuckled sadly at this. "I mean, I did let three Bondholders of mine die. I wanted Mia to... Have a good life, a happy life, without me in it. I was and am pure scum, and if there was any way I could make it up or apologise, I would. But there isn't, not a single way I can think of. Nor should she accept the apology of a foolish, selfish old man too."

He finished and rubbed his eyes, feeling the weight of years upon him. "Duty is heavier then a mountain, death lighter then a feather..." he muttered to himself. "I must bear my mountain for many more years to come. I would at least like to stop making the Light blasted thing heavier then it already is though!" He grimaced and turned from Annais "By your leave, Annais Sedai. Whilst I am sure the mediator inside of you can attempt to fix this rift, I'm not quite sure the Gaidin in me is ready to be forgiven yet." He adjusted his belt and began to walk off.

OOC: Pathetic, ain't he? :D

Shoar Gaidin

Shoar had been gone for thirteen years and had sent no word! Light, it was no wonder that Mia hadn't been exactly thrilled to meet him again. She herself would have wanted to strangle the man and unlike Mia who had chosen to avoid him, she would have dealt with his cowardness by confronting him even after all these years. This was a valuable insight on the way Shoar acted in relationships and she had to say that she wasn't very impressed. She tried to keep her disappointment and displeasure under wraps, though because she had chosen to get herself involved with the situation professionally so she couldn't afford personal reactions. They would be no use in any other way either.

She couldn't help a disapproving purse of her lips when Shoar went on a self-pitying rant about how he was bad for the people who cared about him and not worth them. The last bit was when he tried to escape the situation by walking off. "So now you are trying to leave me too? Good going, Shoar", she remarked sarcastically after him. "Hold it right there. I did not give you leave, Tower Guard and nor will I." She closed the distance between them.

"You most certainly are making that mountain of yours heavier by refusing to deal with things and avoiding them. You thought that you were doing what was good for Mia even though you really had no right to make that kind of choices for her. What you did hurt her instead and for that you owe her an apology, the general courtesy demands it and you should consider THAT your duty instead of continuing your quest of self-pity. Likely she isn't willing to forgive you or even listen but that is why I will speak with her first. It won't be easy to speak those words but that is your way of showing real courage and repentance." She was tempted to add 'instead of this whining and running away' but she managed to refrain from it.

"You have been plenty of good to many people, including your Bondholders and Mia. And maybe you were foolish but that doesn't make you scum. You were trying to look after Mia's best interest even if your idea wasn't quite right. So that's not selfish either. Besides, I wouldn't be wasting my time on a total loser."

Annais

Gray Sister

Shoar stopped walking as Arette ordered him to, years of training meaning he had little choice in the matter. He unclenched his fists which had clenched due to anxiety. He turned slowly, facing Annais, refusing to retreat into the Spring as he normally did.

He listened to Annais' words without a comment, unhitching the pouch from his belt while he did so, his complete attention on her. He gripped the pouch in one hand as she finished and arched an eyebrow at him. Even thought she tried to hide it the waves of disappointment emanated her as clearly as if she was holding a sign proclaiming him a Darkfriend.

He sighed and said "Aye, maybe... I could just be a very gifted actor." he permitted himself a small smile. "I know that all that you are saying is true, Annais, but I... just don't know how to go about it." He shrugged helplessly "Words from the heart is something I have never been any good with... If I was I likely wouldn't be in this mess to begin with."

He stopped a Trainee walking past and handed him the pouch. "Take this to the Gaidin's Way in Tar Valon. Hand it over to the innkeeper. There'll be a mark in it for you." He then turned his attention back to Annais. "I will not mention the banishment... I don't need any more shame added onto this." he thought to himself.

"At the end of it, I do feel you are right. An apology is warranted, even if I do not believe it will aid the situation at all. After that... Anything you or she decides to do will be entirely justified. If I am to be banished again, so be it." he spoke, missing the slip on the word 'again'.

Shoar Gaidin

• 2 weeks later...

Shoar's suggestion of being a talented actor made Annais smile with amusement. Not very likely. He could be stone-faced when he wanted to but she found it hard to imagine that he could pull off roles. She understood that it was hard to find the right words or any words when you were facing someone you hadn't spoken to in thirteen years and had left. Sometimes little help and practice could get them out and it didn't lessen their meaningfulness or the genuine feeling behind them.

It seemed that Shoar wanted to play time when he gave an errand to some Trainee but Annais waited to see if he had anything more to say. She was glad that he agreed with her of the necessity of the apology but first she would have to work Mia a bit to make her at least listen it. Any forgivance was up to the woman then but at least discussions had been opened and maybe they could work it out. Or then Mia really wouldn't want to ever see Shoar again. It would be a shame but she couldn't really blame her.

She almost rolled her eyes at Shoar's melodramatic words about banishment. She hadn't expected him to be such a drama queen. Sheesh, it had been him who had left and chosen to go. No one had kicked him out. But it was good to sort out that kind of feelings before he went to speak with Mia. "What would you say to Mia? And banishment?"

Annais

Gray Sister

Shoar kicked himself with his foot, hard, as he realised he had mentioned banishment. "Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just the ramblings of a foolish old man, please ignore them." He kept his face blank, while inside he panicked. "Not here, not now..." He thought on the other thing Annais had said to him.

"Well... I would just say that I was sorry. I should have written, I should have made contact... I should have let her decide." He sighed and rubbed his eyes. "Actually WHAT to say? I have absolutely no idea. Even if I had a prepared speech I think I would muck it up somehow." he chuckled. He sighed sadly. "Shall we continue this conversation over by my tree? The topic of discussion is depressing enough and I feel a change of scenery might aid in that." He led the way, praying she would not question further into the banishment he had let slip.

Shoar Gaidin

• 4 weeks later...

Shoar kicking himself when Annais mentioned the banishment was pretty telling and she frowned darkly when he tried to cover his slip. He was lying to her. She tried to help him and he wouldn't tell her everything. But then it was hardly the first time some unpleasent things had surfaced totally unexpectedly in negotiations even after parties had assured her that Annais had all the details.

His should haves were all things that she agreed with so she nodded slightly with every sentence. "With that kind of attitude you certainly would muck it up. You should have confidence in your intention at least. If you don't have faith in yourself, the no one else will have faith in you either. You should let me to speak with Mia first, to hear her side of the story. I can then give you better advice about what does she think to be the biggest issue."

She allowed herself to be lead to the tree and sat down beside him wishing that her dress didn't get grass-stained. Still, just a little One Power and it could be mended. "All I would ask from you in return is honesty. If you don't want to speak about the banishment, then say so. But don't insult my intelligence by trying to lie to my face."

Annais Nevell

Gray Sister