DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Avi and her 'Special' Weave

The Dragon Reborn

I'm just reading Path of Dagger at the moment (2nd time). I came across a POV that Avi has where she makes a pretty poor gateway. She thinks to herself that the gateways she made to escape Rand was bigger. That had she used that weave, she could have made a far bigger gateway.

This got me to thinking: Is this one of the things where the Aiel happen to discover a slightly different weave that achieves the same result and that Avi's weave is more efficient. Did she perhaps discover a more efficient way to travel?

Guest silver89

The impession I got after reading that POV was that Avi had developed a small block that didn't allow her to make bigger Gates. Like Nyn couldn't channel unless angry or the Asha'man who couldn't use the power beyond a certain distance.

Mmm. The other option, though I've always held more to Silver's, is that Avi's weave was so close to Elayne's that the 'second method' effect came into play.

But no, Avi did not discover a more efficient method of travelling. Elayne's gateways are larger than Avi's. Its purerly a personal issue.

So is it more of a jealousy thing you reckon?

Her exact thoughts are:

'She was sure she could have woven a larger (gateway), as large as Elayne could using the weaves without thought while trying to escape Rand al'Thor what seemed a long time ago.'

Sounds like she realy believes it to me...

Wait I just realized what you meant by 2nd method effect. That's what I was asking about, did Avi discover the 2nd method for travelling....I can't remember does that mean that one of the 2 methods will work better subjectively? Will some will have an easier time with one method, while others will have it easier with the other method? Or is it that one is slightly easier universally?

No, not a jelousy thing. The issue is this. Aviendha, when using ELAYNE (i.e. the Forsaken's) method of weaving a gateway can't make one as big as Elayne's, and she should be able to. The possible answers are...

1. The emotional nature of the last time she made a gateway has created a psychological block that affects her when she tries to weave a gateway.

2. Aviendha's method of travelling was slightly (but not significantly) different from the Forsaken's. As such the 'second learned weave' effect comes into play, and Aviendha cannot make that weave work as well as she should be able to.

Now, the second learned weave effect does not apply to different weavings entirely--for instance the new method of healing is not effected by the fact that the person knew the old method--therefore it is likely a simple matter of very slight variations in the weave. Much like the difference between the way Aes Sedai weave fireballs and Wise Ones weave fireballs. The same weave with only a slight variation (the lack of a gesture) causes the second learned weave effect to come into play, and thus the second weave does not work as well as it should have.

So Aviendha's weave was likely very very close to Elaynes, only she wove water before spirit here, or doubled that loup there... or even sobbed as she wove it, and that influenced the patterns in her mind thus causing the issue when she tried to use Elayne's method.

That was what i was trying to infer. One would not be better than the other, its just that Aviendha, having learnt the first, would never have been able to use the second to the same degree as Elayne despite the fact that at equal strengths their gateways should be perfectly even in size. Neither are more intrinsically easy, its simply a matter of whichever you learnt first.

There is also the fact if i remeber correctly, that once you learn a weave it kind of  imprints itself upon you. You can learn a diffent weave to acieve the same results only its much harder to do it that the way you originally learned it. that could be another factor of why her s was smaller than before. she was trying to use someoneelses weave.I hope i'm making sense.

Archived