DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

1+1=Headache [ATTN:Rowul] (Repost)

Guest Estel

Guest Estel

Ramza:

Rowul had been asked to teach a basic math course to some poor man and was waiting for the perosn to enter, he ahd several books, lots of paper pads, and other things that he might need.

Now all he had to do was wait for the guy to show up

Estel:

Sheepishly, Carnhain peeked around the door. Few people in the Citadel knew that he was in no way educated, though Rowul did. Rowul knew about his past too, another thing he didn’t like being known.

“Hello uncle.†Carnhain said his face red. Even though Rowul knew him better than anyone else, he still felt embarrassed admitting he could do even the simplest arithmetic, even to Rowul.

Ramza:

Rowul goggled, "Ummm ok hi nephew"

Rowul hadn't been told who he was teaching just that he was teaching.. oh wait.. evil calvary idea.

"Ok if i cut off two of Black Fires legs how many does he have left?"

he waited for the answer

"Ok you can do basic math you just don't realize it yet, you jsut solved this problem."

4-2=2

"Now lets say he suddenly grows 4 legs that would be what"

Rowul wrote the problem on paper

4=4=?

Rowul was suddenly on a roll, "If you have 25 horse arrows and shoot 15 how many are left?"

25-15=?

This is easy, he can do simple math he has just never tried to use it with stuff he knows

Estel:

Carnhain blushed when a sudden realization crossed Rowul’s face. His uncle hadn’t known it was his nephew he was teaching.

"Ok if I cut off two of Black Fires legs how many does he have left?"

The blonde man stood, horror painted across his face. That was about the worst thing you could do to a horse! “Two.†Disgust filled in his voice at the very idea of cutting off a horse’s legs.

â€Ok you can do basic math you just don't realize it yet, you just solved this problem- 4-2=2.â€

Carnhain stared a moment at his uncle. That was math? That wasn’t that hard, maybe he really could do this. It must be easier than reading and writing at least.

"Now lets say he suddenly grows 4 legs that would be what?"

“Eight.†Carnhain said excitedly as Rowul wrote the problem on a piece of paper.

"If you have 25 horse arrows and shoot 15 how many are left?"

After thinking a moment and using his fingers to help him, Carnhain came up with the answer. “Ten. Wow, this is a whole lot easier than reading and writing.â€

Ramza:

"Alright here we go," Rowul gave his nephew severeal sheets of papper with only one with problems"

"If you don't know what they are asking just ask me and i will put words to it"

(ooc jsut ask on however many you want)

1+1=?

1+2+?

1+3=?

2+1=?

2+2=?

2+3=?

2 times 1 =

1 times 1

1 times 3

1 times 4

1 times 5

1 times 6

1 times 7

1 tiimes 8

1 times 9

1-1

1-2

1-3

2-1

2-2

2-3

3-1

3-2

3-3

Estel:

After about an hour of working, Carnhain was doing well with the adding and subtracting. True he was using his fingers for a visual aid- but he was doing it. He was doing it!

1+1=2

1+2=3

1+3=4

2+1=3

2+2=4

2+3=5

1-1=0

1-2=1

1-3=2

2-1=1

2-2=0

2-3=1

3-1=2

3-2=1

3-3=0

ooc: I purposefully left a few mistakes in there...

looking at the paper he noticed a few problems so he brought out a chalk board adn a drew pictiures in order for Carhain to understand

1+1=2 (check)

1+2=3 (check)

1+3=4 (check)

2+1=3 (check)

2+2=4 (check)

2+3=5 (check)

1-1=0 (check)

1-2=1 (picture time)

1-3=2 (picture time)

2-1=1 (check)

2-2=0 (check)

2-3=1 (picture time)

3-1=2 (check)

3-2=1 (check)

3-3=0 (check)

So the problem was that he did not understand negative numbers

Rowul drew a picture of 4 horses on the board.

"Alright the first promblem you should think of a herd of horses. Why, well because i like horses adn 2 because when the 2nd number is larger than the first in a subraction problem you need to think of things that can have more taken from it.

Alright lets say you owe some one something, and don't pay it back, you owe one horse. But you don't give it to him on time so he demands 2 horses, you don't have 2 horses so you still owe him one

1-2= -1

ok lets say you lose 3 coppers in a dice game, but you only have 1 that means you still owe him two

1-3=-2.. so you come to me for the other 2.....that would be

1-3+2=0

which means you don't owe any money

(ooc sorry gf calls)

Guest Estel

Now understanding, Carnhain was able to complete the questions. He had to use his fingers, but he was doing it. He was actually doing it!

1+1=2

1+2=3

1+3=4

2+1=3

2+2=4

2+3=5

1-1=0

1-2=-1

1-3=-2

2-1=1

2-2=0

2-3=-1

3-1=2

3-2=1

3-3=0

He smiled proudly. "Finished Rowul!"

• 3 weeks later...

Rowul smiled, "Good the next thing i want to do is simple yet hard, i want you to count stars, of you count one 2,3, 9 times thats fine, the next time we have a class i want you to tell me the number you got to before you couldn't count any higher, deal?"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Estel

Carnhain lay on his back, staring up at the expanse of inky black. It was a beautiful sight- and humbling for the arrogant young man.

Humbling also in the sense that he struggled to count the vast amount of stars. "103, 104, 105... 697, 698... 998, 999, what's after 999?"

He returned the next day to Rowul, rather put out. "I only got to 999, uncle." he said bitterly. "What after 999?"

• 1 month later...

Rowul goggled again "if you know that many than your your lesson is over, the next nember is one thousand, after that is yoru hundred thousand, then milliions, then billions then trillion, quardaillion, (word for five)illion, sexillion, septillion, octillion, after that even i don't know."

(ooc done)