DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blade Waltz (Open)

Shoar

Shoar wandered through the gates to the Yards, stretching his arms as he nodded at the two Guards on station. His Fancloak swirled in the light breeze blowing through Yards, shifting colours streaming out behind Shoar as he walked through the Yards to his tree. Brand would be after Shoar in a flash if he caught him wearing the Fancloak since he was technically a Guard, but Shoar was quick on his feet. "Hmmmm... Maybe not quick enough..." he grinned to himself.

He arrived at his tree, unbuckling his blades and putting them down on the ground. He dropped to sit with crossed legs, closing his eyes and beginning to breathe deeply, the Spring rising up as he began his training. He strained his senses to their limit, pushing all his emotions into the Spring. His eyes snapped opened and he exhaled from his last breath.

Grabbing his swords, he leapt to his feet, the sheathes dropping behind him as the twin blades flashed in the early morning light. He began moving through his normal forms, The Aielman Takes A Stance became Night Of Shooting Stars became Cut The Cross, forms after form appearing out of the Spring and being absorbed by the blades. He spun in a circle, slashing low, then stood still, both swords pointed low.

He smiled to himself, thinking "Hmmmm... Blade Waltz." he nodded and turning to face an invisible partner, he bowed low, blades dipped low in respect. He began moving more fluidly then before, dancing a slow waltz with himself, swords flashing out at every step as he flowed from dance step to dance step. He avoided imaginary blades in the moves of the dance, blades flashing out at imaginary opponents.

He spun in a circle, continuing the deadly dance against the invisible foes. Form after form mingled perfectly with the steps to the dance, gradually becoming faster and faster as he increased his speed, forms executed flawlessly as he moved through the dance he had learned long ago. The breeze began to pick up as Shoar moved faster and faster, face a mask of concentration as he moved.

OOC: Anyone bored can come and play :D

Shoar Gaidin

(ooc: time wise I am gonna  put this one as after the thread on the TV boards. Oh and in case you did not know lol Kalush is Akira’s daughter.)

Absently she wondered who was going to kill her first, it seemed she had a knack for getting all of the older Tower Guards and Warders for that mater very mad at her. Aran was upset because of her request and seemed determined to ignore her. Well she could not blame him for that since she had busted in to his room, she took a breath and let it out before her temper started up again. Daemon was less than pleased with her for more than one reason, the first being that she hurt the guy who made fun of her and the second was her going out in to the City with out permission, lastly was what happened while she was in the city. Andular seemed to be upset with her as well even though she was not sure why, he has that I am disappointed look that makes any one squirm. Kalush wondered if there was any one else she could upset with out trying.

Since she was grounded to the yard and had been working non stop since she had been hauled back to the grounds with several injuries and a pounding head, it was time for a small brake. Daemon had given her a list of things she was to do, of course they all had to be the loudest jobs possible to go with a head that felt like it was going to pop at any moment. Most of them were done but she just needed a few moments of quiet so that she could get though the rest of the day with out whimpering. Seeing a small brake in the trees she slipped though it and ended up in a very interesting way. Moving though the trees as quickly as her weighted down pack would allow she came out of the trees with her back to a clearing. Hearing some one behind her she tried to spin around hoping it was not Daemon or Andular, the only bad thing is the pack changed her balance. A small rounded rock did not help matters at all as she lost her balance and ended up sprawled on her back at the feet of a warder who reminded her of her mother. She closed her eyes to the fact that he was going to kill her, only to open one eye and look up in stunned silence.

Arturus stepped into the clearing to see an older man standing over a young female who had her eyes closed and immediately thought that seeking out Shoar Gaidin might have been a mistake. If he was willing to thrash a young girl who didnt even have a weapon out then maybe losing so many bonds had taken more of a toll on his mind than Arturus had heard.

"Uhm... sorry to interrupt...I heard rumors of an old warder and wanted to seek you out Master Shoar." Arturus felt a knot in his throat. Had he found the man meditating or doing forms he would have felt much better. But this... "You see uhm... well it seems that the warders yard... well while it might have people learning to fight... there does seem to be a lack of pride and principle. Honor is becoming rare and I dont want to get started on anyone's sense of duty."

Arturus looked into Shoar's eyes. He held his head up not to show any disrespect but rather to prove that this was how he felt. An honest man always looked you in the eyes while speaking.

"Its not all the students mind you...but I figured since my mentor is away." Arturus bent over to offer Kalush a hand up but never took his eyes off of Shoar. "Well... Master if you are willing I would like you to train me like the warders of your days."

Shoar twirled as he sensed the movmement near him, blades held at the ready to meet the opponent. He paused as the young lass fell flat on her back, eyes staring wide up at him as he stared down at her. She squeezed her eyes shut, opening one eye to look up at him.

He stared in disbelief at the youngling lying on the ground. "Akira...?" he whispered under his breath. "No... Looks VERY similar to her, but it is not her... She would be as old as you, Woolhead." He lowered his swords as another youngling came walking onto the scene. The colour drained from the young mans face immediately as he came across what must look like Shoar about to attack the girl.

He listened to the younger mans words, eye never leaving him as he moved to help the girl up. Still slightly shocked from the similarity to his old friend, Shoar turned and planted both his swords into the ground, picking up his sheathes. He sheathed his blades with a neat click, and lay them down next to him. Turning around, he noted the girl still had not gotten up, despite the young man's hand being offered. Bending over he hoisted her up, asking "You alright?" She nodded, a look of relief spreading across her face and Shoar nodded. He turned back to his tree, sitting down with his back to it and stared at the pair.

He fixed the young man with his one eye and said "So you wish to learn how I learned? It is not an easy path and there is not much I would be able to teach you in one day... But I think I can pass on some knowledge, yes. First..." Shoar picked up Cor'Aan and tossed it at the young man, who caught it with one hand. "Begin practising so I may see how far along you are." He turned to the girl next as she looked at both in bewilderment. "How about you? Do you wish to learn?" He offered Mi'Cue's hilt to her as the young boy began moving through his forms.

Shoar Gaidin

It was hard to tell what was going on in his mind, she at least was glad that his blade stopped just inches from her nose. He had a strange look come in to his eyes almost as if he did not believe what he was seeing. Hearing her mothers name come from him caused a slight widening of her only open eye before her other one snapped open to stare at him, he knew her mother. Why did it seem that every one but her knew her mother and all of them seemed to be keeping secrets. All accept Daemon who told her any thing she asked if he knew what she was looking to learn, but his stories seemed beyond belief.

Some one else came in to the clearing and spoke with the man standing over her, he even offered her his hand but Kalush could not move at all. So this was Shoar Gaidin, man this was not her week and she would give any thing to the Creator if he got her out of this with out making this one mad. She had little choice but to take Shoar’s hand since he all but hauled her to her feet, pack and all. Grumbling under her breath she took a few moment to adjust her pack before looking up quickly shock showing on her face, he wanted to know if she wanted to train too? Her voice showed her shock and uncertainty.

“ Can some one who is doing punishment train with another Mentor?”

Arturus smiled at Shoar's acceptance. Then frowned as the first thing he was asked to do was practice forms. (Blood and Ashes!) he thought. With a slight bow he turned and began working the few movement forms he knew. He knew only three basic movement forms that incorporated little in the way of sword play. But he did them slow as to do them correctly rather than fast with mistakes. He could move fast with his legs in short bursts, perfect for a warrior, but these forms would not show that. He could swing with blinding speed and with a strength to break skin and flesh with a lathe but the speed he was doing would not show that. He was slow because he focused on his accuracy. He must have looked like an idiot.

Shoar didnt even acknowledge him when he finished. He just stood there looking. Arturus turned away when Shoar turned his attention away. He began a form that was not a part of usual training. It was not part of anyone's training because it was a form his father had made. The Peony Blossom. A form that uses basic movement for a solid stance. Made to fight multiple opponents and the same style that got in him trouble with Thera when a dozen students attacked him. A very fast form of flowing and hard thrusts that looked like a blossom when done in water, and perfect for Arturus to get his frustrations out when he knew he was doing horrible.

Shoar chuckled at the girls question. "I remember a time where my training regimes were CONSIDERED a punishment. Who is your Mentor?" Shoar smiled. "Daemon Ronshor." came the uncertain reply and the grin on Shoar's face only widened. "Oh? He will be fine with it, I am sure, but knowing you have a punishment to face I will only push you harder. Here is Mi'Cue, be careful with her. Show me what forms you have learned thus far."

His attention went back to the young lad. He studied the new form on display and was impressed. "Not bad... Not bad at all for a novice... Fast and effective. Reminds me of Alin's fighting style." He got to his feet and circled Arturus, watching him carefully. Off to one side, Kalush had unsheathed the sword and was holding it nervously, but becoming more relaxed as she held it. "If she's related to Akira at all, she'll be a natural."

He was still studying Arturus' form when he moved in, slipping past the flashing blade and knocked the sword out of the younglings hand in one smooth motion. Catching it as it descended, Shoar nodded. "A good form, nice execution. A few flaws as you just saw but those will be fixed with time, you are only at the start of a long, long journey. Well, I have enough to go by now." Shoar bent over and picked up Cor'Aan's scabbard and sheathing it. Glancing up to the boughs of his tree, Shoar took out the dagger he always kept at his belt. Throwing it with pinpoint accuracy, he hit one of the higher branches. "Climbing trees is a superb way to build strength, stamina and agility. Retrieve my dagger for me if you could." He grinned and stood back to watch the two begin their work. "I think the full Stamina workout will be good for the girl... As for the lad... All-out, I think." He grinned to himself and folded his arms.

Shoar Gaidin

(ooc  I have a feeling that Shoar would let her get away with snitching his second sword but if not let me know and I can change the post )

She accepted the sword but knew that if she took off her pack and Daemon found out she would end up doing twice the punishment. Since it was Shoar’s sword she was careful with it as she stood there for a moment before deciding to do as he asked. She shifted her shoulders and tested her balance with the pack before taking a few practice swings and forms. She had to shift once to make up for the added weight but she could do her forms with it on her back easily. Judging the distance between her and the other two she moved a little farther away to give herself a safe amount of room to move.

For Shoar she moved though all the basic forms that seemed to be the starting point for all the trainees, they actually bored her since her mother had been training her to change them to suit her style and the situation she was in. Even though she had not been training long her forms had a smoothness that was lacked by some of the others, but she still made mistakes. Once she completed the basics she then shifted in to her own forms and the ones that her mother had taught her before she disappeared. Her attention was on her forms and those around her, if Shoar was surprised by some of her forms she could not tell and let the thought slip away as she became more engrossed in her forms. 

A small smile came and vanished as she watched Shoar sheath his other sword and send the boy up the tree. As he watched the boy she knew that he was aware of her as well, but that did not stop her form darting towards him and pulling his second sword free. Dancing back away from him again she started again on the forms this time doing them true to her style, although she was young her mother had taught her well in the short time she was working with her. Kalush still needed to improve it seemed as one of her forms miss its mark, growling she did it again just to make sure the flaw was fixed. After completing all of her forms she came to a halt and then looking up at Shoar, absently wondering what else he had in mind.

Arturus looked up at the tree. He had climbed trees as a child. How hard could it be? Had not Shoar specifically stated the fact that climbing trees was way to build up stamina and so on. He would have used his own throwing dagger to knock the blade out of the tree. Those at least he was good at. He might have even surprised the old Gaidin when he used his left hand to throw even though he is an obvious right hander. However much strength and stamina Arturus might have though. He needed agility. He had it only with his legs from many hours in river training and practicing movement forms on slick rocks there in. He could pick up on forms but he couldnt hit the broad side of a castle when it mattered, at least with a sword, throwing knives were another matter.

Climbing was the easy part (Strength, Stamina, Check!). Staying up there was a little trickier. More than once had he slipped and caught another branch just in time. (Reflexes, Check!) He found the dagger on an outstretched limb with nothing to hang on to. relying completely on his balance which was a mistake of its own he ran in a burst of speed along the limb and recovered the dagger before jumping off and catching a limb on a tree nearby. Shoar turned and looked up at the sudden amount of leaves falling on his head and seemed slightly surprised when Arturus was suddenly standing beside him studying the tree as well.

OOC Arturus would definitely do something smart ass like risking his neck in a jump from tree to tree just to be standing next to Shoar looking at the tree knowing full well Shoar was searching the tree for him. But if you dont think Shoar could be snuck up on like that even though he was probably wondering if Arturus just busted his fool head let me know and I can alter is slightly.

OOC: Both of your ideas are fine, I'll write it slightly differently from Shoar's point of view though... He's not so old that he won't noticed someone suddenly appearing next to him or sense them falling near him, or reaching for one of his swords ;)

Shoar watched as Aruturus began his climb, turning as he sensed movement near him and raised an eyebrow as Kalush dashed forward, taking Cor'Aan out of it's sheath, she danced back and began performing forms with both swords. He watched her with an expert eye, nodding. "She's had training elsewhere... Sloppy on some forms but enough skill that it puts her higher then most new starters."

He glanced up as leaves began descending, watching the flash that was Arturus as he leapt to a neighbouring tree. Shoar put on a faint look of surprise as Arturus leapt from branch to branch to the ground and appeared next to Shoar, peering up with him. Shoar turned in surprise, nodding his head. "Well done." He took his dagger back and sheathed it.

Turning, he walked up to Kalush and stopped her forms mid stance by grabbing her hands gently. He took his blades back and sheathed them both, eyeing the two students.

"Very well. Kalush, that back on your back. Put this on." Shoar held up another pack he had brought with him for his own training. It was as heavy as the one currently on her back. "Begin laps around the Yard. I want 20 done before next bell. Go." The look on her face made him grin and he turned back to Arturus. "As for you... Here." He handed Arturus his blades again. "One or both, your choice. Follow me."

Shoar lead Arturus down to the river and began picking up handfuls of rocks. He could still see Kalush from where he was, nodding in approval as she began running. "I will be throwing rocks at you. For each one that strikes you, you will be running one lap. If 10 strike you, one of Kalush' packs becomes yours. 20, 2. Any more then 30 and we're going to be here for a long time." He smiled and pitched the first rock immediately, striking the young man on the shoulder. "One lap. Unsheathe, I will not wait for you." The second rock sailed on it's way.

Shoar Gaidin

Aim. Arturus knew it to be his greatest weakness in sword play. As Shoar began throwing the rocks the laps began to build up.

"Two laps! Three laps! Four laps!"

He wasnt hitting any of them. He would swing as fast as he could and as hard as he could and would miss them by a mile. He became so agitated that he lost the clear state of mind needed for sword play.

(I should be able to do this! I have the meditation training to feel everything around me when blind folded! I can throw a dagger at fifteen paces left handed and expect a good mark! Why cant I hit with the damn sword?!)

"Fifteen laps. Sixteen laps."

It wasnt until Kalush came around and made eye contact with him during her run that Arturus finally deflected. He made eye contact with Kalush and felt bad for the girl when suddenly two rocks thrown harder than usual came at him. He didnt see them, he wouldnt have had time to turn his head to see them even if he wanted to. Just the same a quick whirl of the blade and a slice deflected both.

Plink! Plink! Arturus turned. One rock had split in two and went to both sides of Shoar's head where they embedded themselves in the tree behind him. The second he wasnt sure where it went. Just the same Shoar looked very amused... then threw another rock at him. Arturus didnt hit another one after that and relieved Kalush of her pack.

Looking at the extra pack Kalush sighed before picking it up and heading out for her first lap, the fact that she had a time limit to do them was some thing new. As she started her laps she thought about what he had said and how he was working her. This had to be a test of sorts to see what she could handle, how long she could run with twice the weight on her back. The time limit added pressure but not one of a physical nature since she was sure that she could do them in that time.

While running her laps she watched Shoar with the other trainee, something about what he was doing seemed familiar to her but she could not place where or when she had seen it. Shrugging it off she continued to run counting the laps in her mind and glancing on occasion at the time. With each lap the weight seemed to be more, pushing down on her shoulders and making her legs arch. About the time she caught eyes with the other trainee her pace had slowed some what but she was determined to complete them with time to spare. Pushing a little harder she picked up the pace after adjusting the packs to fit her back better.

She was just completing the last lap when the bell rang, smiling to herself she could really feel the strain of doing that type of exertion. Walking over to Shoar she stopped and slid the second pack down to the ground, instantly she felt relief and worked her muscles to ease the tiredness.  She asked him her question as soon as he turned his attention to her.

“What you are doing, is it part of a specific training? I think I have seen it before but I can not remember where or when.”

• 2 weeks later...

Arturus picked up the packs Kalush dropped and started his laps as Kalush walked over to Shoar. He had quite a few ahead of him and while he had been punished to do fifty once, he had not had to do them with packs on. Lucky for him, he had only twenty eight instead of thirty. (Thats not too bad... right?) Swinging the weighted practice rod as he went he tried to focus on the two he had hit. He had not even been looking but rather felt them coming and responded. (How in the world did I do that?) he thought as a pair of badly thrown Bolas were spinning towards his legs. Not even thinking about them he leaped up, difficult to do with packs, and they sailed past below him. (How did I hit those two?) He didnt even hear the student who had thrown them yell "Sorry" to him.

Shoar chuckled and nodded his head atthe girl. "It's an old training technique. It is not seen much nowadays... The originator of it has long since departed from this world." He smiled and said "You worked hard... You may take a brief break. What I want you to do is to throw stones at me as I train." He paused, shaking his head at the uncanny resemblance to Akira.

He grinned at her confused look and unsheathed both his blades. He turned his attention to Arturus and smiled. "I know what needs to be done with this young man..." He shouted "ARTURUS! For each stone that hits you, another lap you must complete! For each stone that you avoid, Kalush must run a lap. If any hit ME, I must run a lap!" He chuckled and said in a normal voice "Make sure you throw them well so my blades can hit them or aim true so they hit me." He bowed to the invisible opponents, and began twirling through the intricate dance of the Blade Waltz.

*ping* *ping* He deftly maneuvered, striking the first two stones with the flats of his blades, sending them flying toward Arturus. One struck him hard on the rump, the other on his arm. Kalush picked up more and more stones as Shoar flowed through the dance, throwing them with excellent aim at Shoar. *ping* *ping* *ping* Shoar's blades met every stone, sending them all flying at Arturus, completely lost in the Blade Waltz he had been taught so long ago.

Shoar Gaidin

Arturus turned towards the home stretch of his first lap. The packs were heavy but he was convinced he could complete twenty eight laps with them. He had only just completed his second when Shoar shouted at him.

"ARTURUS! For each stone that hits you, another lap you must complete! For each stone that you avoid, Kalush must run a lap. If any hit ME, I must run a lap!"

Arturus dropped his pack (He must think I dislike him to strike stones back at him so he will run.) Arturus dropped the packs. (But when he runs I am not being trained. So I will show him that not all of the trainees are without honor and not willing to sacrifice.) As Shoar began to strike stones towards him Arturus began to use his body to block them. They came hard and fast and every one left a welt. They did hurt and Arturus struggled to disconnect his mind from the pain. He began to wonder for a moment if it was worth it. But yet it would make a good memory, another good deed for a woman who would not care, but a good deed all the same. A few shots actually were not going to strike him but Arturus simply stepped in the path of those stones as well, not even  raising his sword.

When Kalush looked at him confused, he simply smiled at her warmly.

• 2 weeks later...

Absently she wondered if it had been her mother who was the creator of the dance, but she was still alive. Putting down the pack she pushed her thoughts aside and stood before Shoar. Even though she was glad to be able to rest there was still a challenge in throwing rocks at Shoar and trying to hit him. She picked up several rocks and tried to find the best way to hit him, would throwing more than one do it? Maybe different angles so that he had to work to hit them.

"ARTURUS! For each stone that hits you, another lap you must complete! For each stone that you avoid, Kalush must run a lap. If any hit ME, I must run a lap!"

Oh to be able to hit one of Shoar’s skills, she did not think that she would be able to since he was a grandmaster. She was still going to try her best to hit him just to see him run a lap like both of them had. The only problem was the more rocks she threw the larger the risk of her having to run more laps. Risk? No it was not a risk it was all part of the training and building themselves up to be protectors and warriors. She continued to throw them but her throws faltered slightly when Arturus moved in to the line of a rock in order for it to hit him. There was some thing in his eyes that caught her attention before he stepped in to the path of one of the rocks that would have missed him. He gave her a smile when she looked at him confused by what he had done.

What? Was it that he thought she could not take the running the laps? Part of her was angry at the insult but another part of her was shocked that he would willingly incur more laps so that she would not have to do any more than she had done before. There was no real way that she could make it fair unless she was able to hit Shoar instead of him being able to deflect her rocks. Kalush tried throwing more than one at the same time and that seemed to make it harder for Arturus because he had to jump from one place to another in order to catch them against his body.

Kalush was tempted to stop throwing them but she knew that it would be a dishonor to all three of them if she did that. Closing her eyes to every thing around them she let her instincts guide her movements, trying to feel for an opening like her mother had taught her. Her movements took on a flowing grace as she turned throwing rocks in to her own dance, she threw several more not even aware of where they ended up.