spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

Of all time? Babylon 5. Red Dwarf comes second with Doctor Who in third.

On at the moment? Battlestar Galactica (the new one), followed by Heroes and Lost.

I'm also fond of Blake's 7, The X-Files and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and some of the better instalments of The Next Generation. Voyager is an abomination and Enterprise was very dull.

In your poll I chose Smallville, however that is definately not the top on my list.

First and foremost is Firefly. It is fun how unsci fi it is while being sci fi. But it is one of the best written and character driven shows I have seen in a long time.

I would also have to put the current incarnantion of Battlestar Galactica as being a definate must see. Again I think I like it because it is not in your face sci fi. More of a space opera.

Other stuff that is really overtly sci fi, phasers, starships and aliens really bothers me. It is the more subtle stuff like Firefly and BSG that really is good.

From that list, I chose Heroes, but In my current mood, I'd vote Doctor Who if it was available. BSG, Lost, and Firefly are other favorites. Honorable mention goes to several seasons of the X-files.

Never seen Babylon 5. Saw a few episodes of Red Dwarf, but got bored.  :-\

If you want sci-fi you should start watching anime.  its full of sci-fi.  Cowboy Bebop, Eva, Akira, Serial Experiments Lain, the list goes on and on.  Theres also a plethora of crazy tenticle hentai...if your into that sort of stuff.  *shudders*

I think BSG is a piece of crap. I so much wanted to like it as I grew up watching it as a little un (along with Buck Rogers). I think it features some of the most insipid dialogue and wooden acting Ive ever seen. I appreciate how its darker and grubbier than the original, which gives it an edge, but I just cant watch it regulary.

Admittedly, Im not a huge fan of sci fi though...

Im prepared to be shouted down now  ;)

Gotta back Oz on this one - and I'm desperate for decent Sci-Fi. BSG can be wooden if you just walk in to it without all the hype. SG-1, the spin-offs, Babylon, Andromeda all lack the "cool" qoutient. What do you think will happen with Lucas and the live action Star Wars?

from that list, had to put star trek

mainly for most of the movies (1st,5th,8th were low points) Deep space 9 after season 3 and the original series (what can i say.. some bad acting in places, poor special effects and many bad scripts, but it is after all the core that started it all.)

my perfered sci-fi series... Firefly,Dr who, Red dwarf and blake's 7 (blake's 7 isnt good imo, its just so bad its funny as hell)

i like BSG although not as much as star trek.  original ST rocked. so it had some poore scripts, and the spetial efects where cheap.  i read in a book about it that they were picking thrugh the scraps left over from i love lucy to get props becuase the studio wouldent give them enuph monney for thier own props.  DR mcoys little medical insterments were a salt and peper shakers.  babolon 5 was pretty cool too but i dident get to see much of it. 

Guest silver89

Firefly completely slipped my mind. :P It was a great show, to bad it only went for one season.

I haven't seen enough of BSG, Doctor Who and Red Dwarf to form an opinion on them. So I'll give them a looksy. :)

That was a hard choice I love sci fi, but had to go with the X-files, I have all 9 series.

But I agree with others, love the new BSG, and Babylon Five. Dr Who and Torchwood I enjoy. When I was younger Blakes 7 (can't beat those gravel pits in Wales, they used to use those for Dr Who too...lol) was a must and Red Dwarf.

Can't believe BSG is being described as wooden!I think the cast is first rate(Edward James Olomos in particular!)and the plotting and structure well written and briskly driven.Yes some of the dialogue can occasionally be a bit clunky but then I think that is a comment that can be attributed to almost any series-sci fi or otherwise.Best of all the series intends to come to a logical conclusion with the next series being the last and not having the survivors forever searching for Earth.

Other than that Heroes is great.

On the movie front (separate but loosely related) I would recommend Gattaca as a brilliant peace of Sci Fi and Children of Men. : ; :o

Doctor Who is obviously the greatest sci-si show of all time (as well as being the longest running at 44 years this November). Blake's 7 was very good at times, although there was some rubbish occasionaly. The Quatermass serials were very good for the time, and still stand up quite well today. Star Trek had its moments, and I quite enjoyed 4400 when I watched it, but of those on the list I think Heroes is the best (haven't really) seen the others. Oh, and Red Dwarf was very funny, and Torchwood is alright. Survivors and Doomwatch were both very good, if you're interested in classic shows, rather than this new-fangled rubbish.

ahh, supernatural was the show i was thinking of.
Not sci-fi. Mentioning a fantasy show, however good, in a sci-fi thread is very risky. You're liable to get torn apart by wild fans...

Guest silver89

That was a hard choice I love sci fi, but had to go with the X-files, I have all 9 series.

Just bought all 9 seasons of the X Files about 2/3 weeks ago. Watched them for years on TV and loved it so I decided to by the DVD's. Currently watching season 3. :)

i kind of think it's more sci-fi because of the way it's set up. everything is real world and real world mythology, legend, etc. :D
Still fantasy, even if it's based on real world folklore. Now if it was aliens, or there was some sort of scientific rationale presented, then it would count. As it is, things are done by magic, demons are just demons, and so on. So the question is now does someone start a new fantasy TV show thread, or do we just add the fantasy to this one?

I voted for Stargate SG-1, but Stargate Atlantis, Firefly and Star Trek(all) are also good. And Alys I agree, I see sci fi as more the futuristic, aliens, supernatural and fantasy as more of the magic, mythological style creatures (as Alys as sited). I also see fantasy as being more swords and bow and sci fi being the more advanced weponary.

I voted Heroes since that is the only one I watch.  Otherwise I would have voted for Battlestar Galactica.

Also we discuss all these shows quite a bit on the Seanchan forum, Dragonmount's Entertainment Org.  Feel free to stop by and discuss these shows with us.  ;)

Archived