DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aiel spears

Wandering Aiel

^^^ ::) tss.....

;D

Actually, aboute a year ago on this site, I did a small calculation of how many cart loads of spear shafts that would be neaded to equip all Ail warriors. I have forgotten the actual number and are to tired to redo it but it was by no means an ureasonable amount of wood they would have had to trade.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I wonder is how the Aiel manage to carry so many spears at one time. Like... supposing one spear is as thick as your average broom handle.... how many broom handles would you be able to hold with a reasonable grip? I've got small hands, so I'd say about 2 or 3 at best. But can you imagine holding onto those in a combat situation plus bows and arrows plus buckler plus huge belt knife? All that and still be able to veil at the last minute! Aiel must have 3 hands.

I am assuming they hold two in the crook of their left arm (if right handed) while holding the buckler in their left hand. Then they keep that top part of their arm pretty much rigid against their body and move the buckler only with their elbow, if not some minimal use of their shoulder. Then they fight basically with the right hand holding another spear.

It says quite a few times that they hold their spears in the crooks of their arm, not necessarily while fighting, but it mentions this so I would assume it is so. They could also stick it on their back between the bow and the skin.

They could also be passed down in societeies. Like when a maiden gives up the spear it goes to a new maiden. Or they could be sung wood from the Pact maybe.

I haven'tseen any evedence of sung wood diminishing the source at all.

Any time a maiden gives up the spear or goes to be a Wise One, all her weapons are destroyed and made into gifts to be given away. I don't know what this means for the wood but, I'd assume that the Wise Ones want no trace of the weapon to remain, seeing as that's the whole point of the exercise...

Perhaps Avendesora isn't the only great tree in the waste. There are lesser trees, but still strong, that could have been brought along on the journey to the waste. Each clan could have a stand of trees that they preserve in hidden locations with soil that can maintain them, carefully watered from wells. They also could supplement their stores by trade, or raids into  the borderlands. They could also take the shafts from Shadowspawn they kill in the Blight.

The Wise Ones could play a role in growing forms of wood for the clan to use. Use of the power to make weapons is not forbidden to Aiel Wise Ones.

There could also be kinds of wood roots that grow deep underground because of large bodies of water buried below the surface. I mean there is vegetation in the Waste. Where does Oosquai come from?

Just some ideas.

Archived