DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Total War Gaming

GrnEyedDvl

I dont know if any of you play the Total War games or not but I thought I would post here and see if anyone is interested.

The Total War series of games by CA in Australia are turn based strategy games that have a great battle feature built in. In fact the History Channel used this engine to do some renactment stuff. The games are highly moddable, and I am starting a mod based on the WoT series that will have a custom map, custom skins and scripts, and characters all based on the series. As this is a forum dedicated to the WoT I thought I would get some input from people here. Even if you arent interested in playing the game feel free to drop a few comments if you have ideas. Anyone that wants to contribute artwork or that has any game modding skills would be welcome too and will certainly be listed in the credits.

The mod will be based on the Kingdoms expansion pack for Medieval 2 Total War.

Anyone is free to view without registering, but if you want to comment you have to register, you will find the forum familiar as I am also using the Simple Machines forum, but with lots of addons and custom stuff. You can find it on the site listed in my sig or just go to www.twmodsquad.com

M2 has a lot of stuff that RTW didnt have, and Kingdoms has lots of new scripting stuff you can do with it. I have been modding games for 15 years and specialize in scripting. I just started modding the TW series probly a year ago, played around with modding RTW some but I really got into scripting for M2.

If you want to see some of my stuff you can look through the mods section of www.twcenter.net I have the same user name there.

Nice. Are you aware of the existing Wheel of Time: Total War project going on here?

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=99

I think the Medieval 2 mod effort thread at the bottom will be of interest.

I would suggest pooling efforts, especially if those guys have any artists on board.

Does Kingdoms solve the problem of not being able to model units, only reskin them?

I've been giving advice on the Song of Ice and Fire Medieval II mod, and I know these projects often die due to lack of people working on them.

I thought the ASoIaF mod was dead, there are some guys trying to bring it back but I have no idea how much luck they are having.

You can model units in M2TW, grumpyoldman made a .mesh convertor for Milkshape and there are several new models out there. Thats one thing I am going to have to learn how to do is modeling and skinning. The mapping and scripting I am already quite proficient at, so I am going to complete that first.

I hadnt seen the mod on the org, I havent been there much in a long time as that board seems to be dying. Thats an RTW mod, about the only things you could use without heavy modifications are images.

Regarding the M2TW thread at the bottom, I know a couple of those guys and offered to share resources but I have some doubts about that mod, as the mod leader has absolutely no modding skills at all. Not a good way to start. They sort of have a mapper and a newbie scripter, thats about it I think.

I have permission from a couple of digital artists to use their work in loading screens and stuff like that, and I have a guy thats pretty good with skins and other artwork. The only thing I completely lack is a modeler. Most of the units can me normal M2 units reskinned. The beta release probably wont have trollocs or Seanchan animals other than elephants.

Anyways thanks for checking it out, and if you have content ideas throw them out there.

It's worth looking at the stuff they had for the Rome mod. Many of the ideas were really good and stuff like the unit roster, how to handle channelling etc were quite well done.

The ASoIaF mod is alive and well at the Westeros.org forum, although things have slowed down a lot. The campaign map is about done and a lot of the stats, unit rosters, how generals and family names work in the game are all complete. The biggest problem was the lack of skinners (a recurring modding problem), although there was some discussion about just using the base models for now and changing the flags/emblems. It helps that ASoIaF is a much closer fit for the time period and technology of Medieval II (although WoT could actually be better as its armies should be more varied).

I already pulled just about everything I wanted from the old RTW mod.

I really thought the Westeros mod was dead, nobody posted there for over a month and some of the threads are two months old. It looks like they are down to two guys which makes it pretty tough. Hopefully they can get it finished.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this. I have most of the map laid out but need to finish the details. The map will be my main focus for the next few weeks. I will use generic untis for now.

Traits and Ancillaries partially coded, need more ideas.

Loading screens and quotes mostly finished.

I have a lot of event/scripting ideas, but more is always better. Some are already scripted, some are just a framework and some are just ideas at this point.

Units I have barely begun laying out. I have a pretty good idea of what I want, and how I am going to set up the Areas of Recruiting, but I havent worked out all the Eras in my head yet. After the map is done this will be my next big step.

Working on character names. This is going to be another big chore.

Anyone that wants to contribute ideas is welcome to do so. You dont have to be a modder or even a gamer. If you are fairly familiar with the books you could be a great asset as I cant think of everything. Some of the things you can contribute are:

Faction Introductions, a paragraph or two about the faction.

Character Names, sorted by faction, first and last name.

Music ideas, instrumental preferred.

Traits. Character traits in the game are used to give bonuses/penalties. I have a lot of them already, like Blademaster, Plays Daes Dae'mar, Foretelling, and then some funny ones like Well Turned Ankle, Woolhead, and Thinks with Hair on Chest. Other stuff like that would be great.

Ancillaries are pretty much the same thing, but they are objects or people. Heron Marked Sword, Gleeman, Illuminator, I have a bigger list of these on my site.

http://www.twmodsquad.com/index.php?action=forum;f=7

If you want to contribute thanks in advance, if not wish me luck  ;D

Archived