DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"Now a Flame" (Attn Thera) Closed-

DarkHallow

(The clash of steel... my life has been full of it.) Arturus thought as he banged the sticky contents of a  pot he was cleaning out with a spoon. Not the glorious training of a warrior he thought it would be. He had been serving Mistress Thera as a punishment for fighting with other students. He had been doing so for a week now, using his short breaks to complete minor chores to catch up on what must have been a few months neglect on her quarters and office. He thought he was doing well... in fact he was sure he was. But even so Thera would order him to do some chore that he had already planned on doing. She sounded desperate when she did it and he never did understand why. Scrubbing the last pot out with some sand he stopped to wipe the sweat off his brow. The heat also did nothing for Thera's temper. But Arturus needed a night of peaceful rest so tonight that would change. Collecting the pots and the bags with both their laundry he walked back to where Thera's office and, attached to that personal quarters were located. Opening the door the scent Jazmin washed over him. He had made planters with Jazmin growing in them for her windows. It did wonders to cover up the smell of old sweat. He had to make them as punishment for the rumors flying around about him being a blade master in disguise as a student. Some of the students began to salute him and to make a show of him not being a blade master, he was forced to do gardening with all the students watching. He reluctantly admitted he wasnt bad at it.

It took some sneaking around to drag the bronze bathing tub that had once actually been in these same quarters back inside. He had a large pot of water boiling over the fire and another on the stove. He has managed... in the studies of plants he did after the gardening punishment which he will never admit to... make a mix of herbs that when burned had an effect to make others relax. He also picked up a mix that is used to loosen tight and wound up muscles. He had a bottle of wine chilling in the river. It took several student to help him get his chores done early enough to do all this but he assured them they would have a day of peace from the Mistress the next day.

When Thera walked in that night as usual she threw her sweaty cloak toward a chair. Arturus being used to this caught it and threw it in a bag. He had timed dinner already since he knew when she would be in, (Same time as every night) he thought.

Thera sniffed the air and sat at her desk. She looked around the room as Arturus helped her remove a set of over polished armor. She had asked him to do it yesterday, she knew he would have anyways but she needed to make sure he knew she was in charge, something she did on occasion and hated doing. But he polished it to be shinier than her personal mirror, the whole day students were losing duels and messing up in practice because of the glare of the sun off of her armor. She suspected he did that on purpose. She noticed the burning of some herbs that made a pleasant smell and when Arturus  pulled a chair out from under her desk to eat she felt glad to be home. He put a plate in front of her loaded with vegetables and a small piece of chicken. She looked up at Arturus with obvious dissapointment with the lack of meat. But Arturus was already explaining.

"I noticed you started sleeping more and you woke up in a bad mood every morning. So I am making sure you eat healthier." Thera was about to protest. "If you dont like it Mistress you can talk to the Mistress of the Kitchens who ordered what I asked her to. There is a month supply here and more on the way. Its already paid for and wouldnt be enough to feed everyone so if we dont eat it it will waste and waste money." Thera's chill made Arturus smile. No one wanted to tell the Mistress of the Kitchen to waste food and money.

Arturus noticed Thera wince as she adjusted on her seat. She had a sore muscle in her shoulder that was bothering her, another thing she would never admit. Without a word Arturus calmly took the herbal balm and walked behind her. She didnt seem to care. He applied it on his hands and pulled the collar of her shirt to reveal her shoulders. She turned with rage on her face but a strong hand on her shoulder pushed her down.

"You are in pain and we both know this. I will not allow you to neglect yourself. I am well trained at this and if you dont not allow me to continue you will tear muscles. You may punish me later for this if you wish but I will not back down." She looked him in his eyes and relaxed. Though normally he would be too shy to do this for a woman the desire to take care of her won over. She needed a full body work over but he would not have the courage for that even now. But those eyes... for a moment, just for a moment, he was lost in there.

Many people had criticized her and the choices she had made since being raised to Mistress of Trainee’s, but all had finally learned that the trainee’s were her concern.

It had been a few weeks since Arturus had entered and terrorized her yards and the pair had fallen into a steady routine. He got up and prepared her breakfast, cleaned her office, and went about his training. His nights were spent much the same way. The other trainee’s tortured him and made his life hell. Still Arturus did not bat an eye or raise a voice in protest. Thera was determined to see how deep his honor ran, but not at the risk of breaking the young man.

Thera was beginning to think it was about time to lesson his punishment, but then again she had grown accustomed to the services he provided. It was nice to come back to her rooms after a long day and be greeted with a warm meal. Service and treatment like that was something she had never experienced, and Thera was finding it hard to let go of.

Upon entering her office Thera was greeted with a heavenly smell, and she inhaled deeply as she took her seat at her desk.

Somehow she had grown so accustomed to Arturus that she no longer scoffed when he helped her out of her armor. Though her eyebrows did rise when she saw what he had ordered from the kitchens. Thera preferred meat, the more the better. She worked hard in the yards everyday; and saw no reason to eat like a bird. In all her years her figured had never changed, why should she worry now? She was about to voice these complaints but Arturus spoke in front of her.

"If you dont like it Mistress you can talk to the Mistress of the Kitchens who ordered what I asked her to. There is a month supply here and more on the way. Its already paid for and wouldnt be enough to feed everyone so if we dont eat it it will waste and waste money." A flame white hot, sprang up inside her and she glared daggers at the young man. What made this young man think he could bully her in this way?

On the other hand the Mistress of Kitchens was not a woman Thera cared to tangle with. The woman had no care for rank, and she wielded her spoon like a club.

Perhaps a short time of this would not be so bad.

Thera’s shoulder twinged as she reached for her spoon, taking a deep breath she embraced the pain and continued on. Things that did not kill you only made you stronger. Once again the young man over stepped his bounds. "You are in pain and we both know this. I will not allow you to neglect yourself. I am well trained at this and if you dont not allow me to continue you will tear muscles. You may punish me later for this if you wish but I will not back down."

Even as she sighed and relaxed under the feel of his fingers; Thera began working up new punishments in her mind. She only allowed his touch to continue long enough to work out some of the pain, anything else would be improper. She was unsure that she was not already walking the thin line of propriety.

Tightening the muscles in her back Thera stood pressing Arturus away from her. “You were right in saying that I would punish you, too often to treat me as if I am your Mistress and you are my body servant. I assure you that our relationship is not as intimate as that, I am your teacher and trainer and that is all. I trust I will not have to tell you again?” Her deep brown eyes were fire, but her heart was not in it. Turning she examined her armor which had been cleaned to a mirrors finish. ” For this last indiscretion you will do 50 laps around the yard before first light,..and..” She caught a glimpse of Arturus’ eyes in her armor and her heart skipped a beat. Somehow she had gotten herself tangled in too deep with this young man and it would take a very skilled dance to get her out.

(Did she say 50 laps?) Arturus grinned slightly. He was no stranger to running. That was a bit excessive but still, it could be done. He simply nodded and answered his usual "Yes Mistress." He let her finish her meal and took her plate and the dishes. As he walked out the door he he casually mentioned over his shoulder.

"Your bath is ready for you in your room Mistress." (Did she really feel the need to tell me that we arent Mistress and body servant?)

Arturus walked out before anything more could be said to him. Inside her room she would find a hot bath, clean sheets and blankets, and herbs burning. It would take a little while for him to clean up. He intended to bathe himself. He tried the bath houses but was uncomfortable with so many women around. He had never even seen a naked woman before he came here, and the baths were too warm so he would run out to the river for a bath. The guards were used to his unusual habits already.

Thera had settled in the bath by the time Arturus got back. He timed how long it would take for the water to cool and casually took the pot from the fire place and poured more in as he passed, thanks to the soap in the water he didnt see anything. Thera looked troubled, Arturus was not sure why.

"Do not be troubled Mistress. I understand very well what our relationship is, and I do not see myself as a body servant. I am using my punishment as a learning experience. I have learned how to time how fast water will cool in certain temperatures, how long certain woods burn, how to heal with herbs rather than just a massage. I even found an old book of martial arts by a master who could wield a bed sheet and use it to cut like a knife."

There was more to tell... he took a deep breath, dishonesty and hiding secrets would not do.

"And... I say this only because I will speak only truth, even if it leads to my death, but though you wear anger as a mask, I know your heart is gentle, and because of that I found an opportunity to do good for a stranger by giving her a few weeks of the appreciation and treatment she deserves... and besides, it may be my last chance, the two of us could only offer one another temporary comforts and nothing more. Because I will be a warder, I have seen it in my dreams, and the Aes Sedai I am bonded to may not care if I am happy or if I have someone."

He couldnt look at her but felt her eyes on him.

"This may be my last chance to make such memories as these for someone who deserves the treatment I give her and more."

His knuckles were white with the way he was gripping a towel he intended to give her. He had brought back the wine as well, cool in a bucket of river water.

"Punish me if you will, it is worth it. The thought that once I was appreciated as I served a beautiful woman will give me what I was taught every borderlander seeks. A memory that will make him smile as he dies a violent death."

Thera looked horrified almost and was breathing heavy as Arturus approached. He kneeled down and placed the bottle of wine soaking in the cold water bucket on the ground next to the bath tub and placed the towel on the chair. He stayed down there, faces less than a foot apart and looked her in the eyes, those beautiful eyes, it seemed like forever. (The cornerstone of my memory to die for) he thought. For a moment pain in his own eyes, pure agony. But by the time he stood his face was hard. His eyes resolute. He didnt look like a boy anymore, and never would again, because now, he was ready to die.

"Enjoy your bath..." He said as he stepped through the curtain that seperated office from bed room. "...Thera..." The first time he had called her by her name.

Thera opened the door to her rooms and was overwhelmed by a heavenly scent. Instantly sweat sprang up making her skin glisten. A roaring fire on the hearth was only have to source of the heat; steam wafted from a large copper tub set up on toweling in the middle of the room.

Forgetting her anger and frustration with Arturus Thera stripped off her boots with a relaxed sigh. She shed her sweat soaked pants and clinging blouse, paying no mind to wear they landed. Gingerly she dangled her toe over the side into the water; it was just shy of too hot and Thera’s stern face broke into a smile. The boy’s faults were many but it had been a number of years since she had relaxed in a steaming bubble filled tub. The hot water soaked into her bones and she sunk in up to her neck.  The steaming water began to work its magic, releasing the tension in her shoulders all the way down to her knees.

Thera closed her eyes and leaned her head back to rest against a towel that hung over the side of the tub. She let her mind release all the troubles in the yards and it flowed on to more appealing things.

“A blanket was spread out under the stars, and there Thera lay on her back staring up into the night sky. Seemly out of nowhere a hand drifted down to brush her face, and sent a shiver up her spine. The warm touch of a man had always made her blood boil, no matter how hard she had fought against it. Gently the hands stroked her cheek, before drifting south to the opening in her blouse. She relished in the feel of the fingers caressing her skin. Slowing a face bent into her view, his eyes were so gray and so vast Thera thought she could spend a lifetime a never learn all their secrets. The face began to come into focus..”

Her daydream shattered and Thera sputtered, spiting out the water that had entered her mouth when she had tried to scream. Why? Why was his face haunting her daydreams? Thera’s brow was furrowed with worry when Arturus entered the room.

Most times she was unashamed of her nudity, but at that moment she wished for more than bubbles to cover her skin. Arturus rambled on and Thera could only stare in amazement. Seeing his face, looking just as it had in her daydream was a shock, one she would not easily forget. When something in his eyes changed Thera began to listen to his words as they flowed.

He turned his eyes away from her and Thera felt a mix of relief and sadness. The sense of duty and honor she had seen in Arturus had only grown ten fold in the weeks since they had met. Whomever would hold his bond would never have to fear anything with him at her side; even if he had lived up to only half his potential with a sword.

"This may be my last chance to make such memories as these for someone who deserves the treatment I give her and more." Thera could see his knuckles turning white as he gripped furiously the towel that was in his hands.

Her mind raced trying to process his words. She was old enough to be his mother and yet he treated her like he was a man in love. Thera had been to the borderlands, and had the pleasure of lying with a man before he went off to fight his war. That had been the only other time she had ever been treated with such a loving respect.

Thera tried to keep her stern mask in place as Arturus walked back towards the tub, and bucket and bottle of wine in his hands. Her breath was coming in labored pants and she struggled hard to maintain a semblance of superiority and control.  Over and over her own words rang in her head… I am your teacher and nothing more, I am your teacher and nothing more”

As she looked into his eyes the years that separated them seem to melt and for a moment her hand started to drift out of the water and towards his face. She stilled it with a stern jerk that sent a spray of water up into her eyes.

For a time after he had left she sat staring at the door. Thera was unsure of what to make of what had just happened.

Arturus’ willingness and diligence in his work had suddenly taken on a different meaning. His strictness over her diet and the secret smiles suddenly seemed significant.

It was not as if a mentor had never before laid with a student, in fact love seemed to flame up and die everyday in the yards. The life of a warrior was uncertain and sometimes even the small comforts meant the most. When her life had been at its worst memories of a love, a love lost, had been more than enough to get her through.

Stepping out of the tub Thera wrapped a towel around herself and opened the bottle of wine. Her glistening skin left a trail of water as the padded across the room and removed two tin cups from the shelf. She poured the fist glass of wine and downed it in one swallow, then she poured two more and set them carefully on her writing desk. From the back of her wardrobe she pulled out a pale green silk robe. The hem, which fell well above her knees, was lined with tiny yellow flowers, which also lined the neck and the cuffs. Shrugging it onto to her still wet body she tossed her toweling on the floor and took a seat in the rooms’ only chair.

The bed may have been more comfortable, but she wanted to be careful in how she handled  Arturus, she was still unsure as to what she intended.

Pitching her voice to be heard out in the office Thera shouted for the boy. Despite the atmosphere and her silk robe she made her face a stern mask, and her caramel eyes were as impenetrable.

Arturus had only just undressed when Thera called for him. Rarely did she ever call for him and he wouldnt have mind if it was more often. He wore only a old pair of breeches that cut off above the knees, it was too hot for even that but he decided to show some modesty. He had a light glaze of sweat on his body but he had used a soap that smelled of pine and also worked to keep wounds clean. So a smell of pine hung heavy in the air around him. As he opened the door to Thera's room he noticed she wore a face of pure sternness and her eyes held no love. But a slight twitch of her lip and a moment of her eyes softening revealed a hint of uncertainty. Or had he imagined it?

Arturus approached her and noticed she wore only a silk robe that showed off more leg than he had ever seen before. He blushed.

“You called Mistress?”  It was difficult to remain composed and pull his eyes off of her legs. He felt desire stir within him but sighed when he saw her eyes. (She would never have a student. What did I do to deserve that look?)

He recalled her words, just teacher and student, not Mistress and body servant. Just the same he wished it was Mistress and body servant looking at her fit legs. He tried to stare her in the eyes but his eyes kept wandering to her almost exposed body. He thanked the light that she looked him only in the eyes as the cut off breeches he wore would hide nothing, but then again, as his eyes once again met hers. (Did I just see her smile?)

“What do you desire of me?”  He lowered his eyes and head. He closed his eyes to keep the vision of Thera out of his eyes. He begged inside his mind that she would be done with him. He figured he would be punished for the bath. (She will punish me, I will accept it, ask to be dismissed and turn and walk out. I don’t need my eyes open for that. Oh light shes beautiful!) Arturus was thankful that bowing ones head was a sign of obedience, one that was not required or expected here but one of honor and obedience that suited his purpose. After hearing no response he opened his eyes to look upon her again. He would regain his composure if it killed him.

• 3 weeks later...

Thera held hard to the stern mask that ruled her life as the boy entered.

There had been times over the years when she had let her guard down, hard as it was to believe she had even made a friend or two. She’d taken many lovers since Andular, but never before had she allowed them to see what was behind her mask. She could count on only one hand the people who knew the real her.

Thera’s secrets had always been her own, as closely guarded as any treasure. And now out of the clear blue sky she longed to take this boy, nay this child, into her confidences. Why is it that the bloodiest battles always take place with in?

She could feel Arturus’ eye on her, and her suddenly her robe was too thin a shield. The hunger and lust that emanated from him was too much; and the silence only heightened her discomfort. Gathering her courage around herself Thera spoke “Sit Arturus” It was only two little words but the tension that had hung thick in the air shattered. Her self assured nature was once again wrapped around her.

Thera stretched out the now full mug, filled to the brim with wine. He hesitated and with a firm hand she pressed the cup to him. “There is nothing wrong with the wine, I swear it.” Tilting back her head Thera drained what had to have been her third glass.

The wine was beginning to fuzz her head, enabling her to relax. Even with in her own mind Thera’s intentions were unclear, but she had called the boy to her, she could not just send him away.

When she looked up Arturus’ eyes were still down cast, seemingly intent on studying his wine. Idly Thera began kicking her leg as she studied the boy in front of her. “You seem nervous, and out of sorts. Where is that over confident child that stormed into my yards and laid waste to a dozen trainee’s? If the boy had known her better he would realize that she was making an attempt at a joke. “Arturus? Look at me! I have to ask….. You have done a wonderful job these last weeks, I have never before been taken care of and as much as I hate to admit it, it has grown on me. But when I look into your eyes sometimes I think I am seeing something more…”

Thera had always thoughts of herself as a warrior first and a woman second, the idea of someone lusting after her was not far from absurd but when she looked into this boys eyes she thought that is what she was seeing. “Arturus..do you think of me as….more than your teacher? “ As the words left her lips Thera already began to regret them. Some feelings were better left unsaid…

“You seem nervous, and out of sorts. Where is that over confident child that stormed into my yards and laid waste to a dozen trainee’s? If the boy had known her better he would realize that she was making an attempt at a joke. “Arturus? Look at me! I have to ask….. You have done a wonderful job these last weeks, I have never before been taken care of and as much as I hate to admit it, it has grown on me. But when I look into your eyes sometimes I think I am seeing something more…”

“Arturus..do you think of me as….more than your teacher? “

Arturus felt the tension coming off of Thera. There were many ways this could go. But honor dictated that he be honest.

"You are more than a teacher to me... in private. On the yards you are nothing more than my teacher and for the sake of our careers I will keep it so. I do not mean to make you uncomfortable if that is how you feel." Arturus gave her a mischievous grin much like the one he wore in the fights that got him into trouble. But he was still careful not to break eye contact and look at her body again. He finished his first glass and being not used to too much drink felt relaxed. He became aware he was sitting on Thera's bed as there were no more chairs in the room.

"Does it bother you so much that I wish to take care of you Mistress? If you are truly bothered that I have decided to make you my good memory before I am bound forever to a fate of pain and servitude to the tower I will pull away a bit. It is up to you really how good you care to allow this memory to be and I assure you it will be good with what there is so far."

Thera picked up the bottle and Arturus noticed that she was a bit unsteady. (Tired and drinking can do that) he thought. She almost seemed as though she would drop it and so Arturus jumped up to steady the bottle, spilling some of the contents on Thera and himself. He was aware his hand was over hers and so once again grinning and not releasing her hand he refilled both glasses. Taking Thera's wet towel he knelt down in front of her and with the gentlest touch he could dabbed the towel on her feet, then her knees, then a little higher on her exposed leg. But then stopped and looked her in the eyes. There were spots of wine on other places he had never touched a woman and would not continue without a word, a nod, or a head shake to tell him to continue.

Being taken care of was never something Thera had been comfortable with, not since she was very young. Caring and providing for herself had always been one of her badges of pride. It was not a badge she would easily part with.

Trying to buy herself a moment Thera reached for more wine. She could do nothing but watch as the contents of the bottle spilled all over herself and the floor. Her teeth were clenched tight as Arturus’ used a towel to dab away her spill. As his hands crept slowly upward Thera’s heart began to race and she knew that this would be the moment that decided it all. His clear eyes met her caramel brown and for a moment there was nothing in the world but the two of them. Time slowed to a crawl as Thera struggled with in her self. She had been so long with out the touch of a man….but..he was a student and…

Thera reached out and placed her hand on top of his, caressing it gently. Her red curls fell and framed her face as she leaned in a pressed her soft lips to his. It was only a moment before she pulled away and as she did she pulled Arturus to his feet. They were of a height and Thera was able to look him in the eyes as she spoke. “The life we lead is not easy, but please do not think of it as a life of servitude. There will be a young woman whose eye you catch and in her you will find all the memories you ever need.” She stroked his cheek gently with her hand. ” There were days that I doubted my chosen path and even my Aes Sedai, but Arturus I swear to you the life you find with your Aes Sedai will be the greatest gift any man can receive”

Thera held back the heartbreak she still suffered over Serena, because the words she spoke were true. No matter the pain she would not change anything about her life or who held her bond. “My life before hers” Thera muttered, barely above a whisper.

Thera gave Arturus’ hand a squeeze and let it fall. “It is late Arturus, and we both have an early morning, I will see you then.”  She turned away and began gathering her things for bed, she did not look to see him leave.

“It is late Arturus, and we both have an early morning, I will see you then.”

Arturus grinned. He got a kiss. If she were not standing there he would be jumping for joy. (So just friends then? Fine by me, I could use a few of those.) He turned and walked out with a final.

"Thank you Mistress." He would let her decide if it was for the kiss or the advice.

Sleep was not going to happen now. He was too full of adrenaline. He dressed and went out to the yard for his 50 laps around the yard. The Tower Guard doing the counting had to actually stop him to let him know he had finished. He was so lost in thought and burning that memory into his head. That was the memory after all, should the Aes Sedai he was bonded to not really care for her warder, that he would remember when he stared his own death in the face. He cared about Thera as a friend already, was attracted to her for sure, but for that one kiss, he would love her for that, and she would never know. It wouldnt be a love like two people in love. It would be a love that should she ever call upon him he would be there.

Arturus continued running to the Mistress of Trainees quarters. There was laundry to do that he had intended to do later that day but instead gathered it now. Using what he had learned in his free time in the stealth classes he slipped into Thera's room and gathered the laundry there as well. He avoided looking at Thera. She slept in little and would have been a distraction. He was almost out the door when he heard a whimper. He turned and looked back at her to make sure she was ok and was able to tell from her movements she was having another nightmare. Avoiding looking at her body he approached. He had shook her awake once and nearly got his throat cut by the dagger under her pillow. Now however he had waking Thera down to a science, a very good skill to have since often other mentors would come to the door in the middle of the night in emergencies, which there were plenty of.

Leaning down he gently took one hand. "Shhhh." His breath caressed her neck and chest. "Thera." She awoke. She always awoke to her name, must have been a trained response. He couldnt describe the look she always gave him. It always made his heart jump. But for a moment the gray eyes of a storm met the brown of nature. He gave her hand a small squeeze and she nodded slightly. He had woke her up like this before and she knew the reason. As he walked out he thought about when he asked her what she dreamed about. Something dark she had said. With this heat, maybe she was right, something dark was coming.

He did not sleep until he had finished the laundry and set out Thera's breakfast. He was not sure how she managed to dress and leave without waking him in the morning, but on occasion he would stir when he caught her scent, but she would already be gone. His last thoughts before he slipped off were of the kiss. He slept with a smile.