DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene's Journey to Salidar

trakand01

Hi,

I've read the series several times but this time around, as its' re-read #5 i'm discovering that i'm picking up on small things that i didnt notice before, whilst i was still taking in the overall storyline. One of these things is that to travel to Salidar from outside Caemlyn where she was camped, Egwene enters Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh... how does she do that?

She comments later that it's a slight modification to the traveling weave. This is confirmed later in one of her meetings with Moggy, "Never assume that I don't already know the answer." IIRC, she creates a T'a'R doorway and then modifies it into a gateway.

Hi,

I've read the series several times but this time around, as its' re-read #5 i'm discovering that i'm picking up on small things that i didnt notice before, whilst i was still taking in the overall storyline. One of these things is that to travel to Salidar from outside Caemlyn where she was camped, Egwene enters Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh... how does she do that?

With a Gateway, the weave of which she has just discovered, and that later forms the basis for her rediscovery of how to Travel.

Indeed. The method of her discovery was that she had an understanding of both the real world and the Dream World. For women, travelling involves creating a similarity between to places, which is how she stumbled into the method of making a gateway into tel'aran'rhiod. Later she adapts this understanding to make a travelling gateway.

Firstly, she is being forced to drink forkroot tea and cannot channel very strongly. But secondly, and most importantly, she wants to stay in the Tower to aid the dissention already happening there in order to bring down Elaida, re-unite the Tower and get herself recognised as the rightful Amyrlin. The best way to change something is from within, not from without.

it is not the tea at all. egwene meets with her rebel council in Tel, who suggest storming the castle by gateway, but egwene declines this offer. she wants to stay, she is working on getting the AS in the tower to note the differences between herself and elaida, it will make it easier for them (the AS) to accept egewne.

Egwene entered TAR in the flesh.  In other places there are references to the danger and risk to the soul of doing that, although I don't recall the books/chapters.  I think Hopper (the wolf) was one of those who warned about it, and I think that there are other references. 

But what is the harm?  Egwene has done it once.  Rand did it several times, and Luc/Isam does it (do it?) all the time, and has anybody noticed a problem with them? 

Should I just quit there and see who bites?  Hook, line, and sinker?

hopper did warn perrin of the danger, the wise ones told egwene that it was an "evil" thing not taught or done.

i think the danger lies in the vulnerability of the individual to do this. if egwene were to encounter lanfear or mog in Tel, in the flesh, the forsaken, who have been utilizing the dreamworld far longer than eqwene has been alive, would certainly have the extreme advantage. egwene would be toast, or at least a bagal with cream cheese.

it is not the tea at all. egwene meets with her rebel council in Tel, who suggest storming the castle by gateway, but egwene declines this offer. she wants to stay, she is working on getting the AS in the tower to note the differences between herself and elaida, it will make it easier for them (the AS) to accept egewne.

The fact that Egwene orders that no one rescue her does not make her capable of weaving a gateway to TAR. We know that gateways work based on strength, and at Egwene's strength she would be no more capable of creating a gateway than Sorilea.

hopper did warn perrin of the danger, the wise ones told egwene that it was an "evil" thing not taught or done.

Hopper warned that too much or Perrin's soul had entered the dream, and thus left his body. That state would lead to the severing of the soul from the body (as Annoura makes clear, indeed nearly happened). This threat does not apply to those who enter in the flesh, and is not what the Wise Ones speak of when they refer to the threat of such. Beyond that the Wise Ones claim is unsubstaintiated, and results from the knowledge that the Shadow used that method for evil in the War of Power. As such the claim is inherently suspect, and given the evidence we have from characters actually entering the Dream in the flesh, we have no support for the idea that it in any way harms the channeler.

what was meant by this, was that egwene certainly could have left at any time she chose, but she chose to stay. it had nothing to do with the tea, that only left egewene incapable of channeling a gateway, but she has other options open to her.

Archived