DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why didn't Moiraine see the channeling ability in the Two Rivers girls?

Guest silver89

Imo,she did see the ability in the others. She did noting about it because she was looking for the Dragon Reborn and not fresh blood for the novice books.

Bel-tine is March 24, 998.

Verin leaves the Amyrlin's party (between Fal Dara & Tar Valon) for the Two Rivers June 14, 998; and arrives June 17, 998.

The party arrives in Fal Dara (where Moiraine is by then) on June 9, 998.

And I've got a new question here: is this a mistake by Jordan, or does she already know about gateways/the Ways (and knows a place to enter them?)

Especially, since Rand & Mat only arrived in Caemlyn (about halfway) on May 2, and left on Bel-tine (with Moiraine)

Unless a person is an active channeler, or very very close to becoming an active channeler, an Aes Sedai cannot sense their ability without testing them. For women that test involves inciting an echo in the women by a process of forcing them to channel (much as we see Moiraine do with Egwene). Men do it by incitin a resonance in other men by getting that man to focuse on their own channeling.

Moiraine did not test anyone in the Two Rivers, and therefore had no way of knowing who could channel aside from those that were actively channeling, and those that were close to actively channeling. (Nynaeve and Egwene respectively).

Firsly, I would be careful with that chart. It is both not official, and from my cursory glance... generically wrong.

Beyond which your initial comment is wrong. Verin leaves the Amyrlin's party after the events at Fal Dara--she leaves during the trip back to Tar Valon. So, the timeline, though i think it is flawed, is not directly flawed in the way you mean.

i dont know that a specific timeline is all that relevant, really. i think moiraine passed on the info that the girls in the two rivers should be tested (possibly to suiane or verin) and it was something that was gotten around to. similar to rand sending taim to "round up" all the men in the two rivers.

Moiraine didnt even want to take Egwene. She was all set to go with Rand, Mat and Perrin when Egwene turned up with her own rations, demanding to go along. They had no choice but to take her. Nynaeve followed (tracked them) of her own accord.

Its more than likely that Moiraine DID see the potential but at the time all she was looking for was Rand (or Mat, or Perrin).

Archived