DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why is Robert Jordan unhappy with Red Eagle?

donstermu

ok, trying to figure out whats going on, from mr jordans most recent blog. He said he's unhappy with red eagle, and won't let them touch his name after that...soo....

1)why is he upset?what did they do?

2)is this the end of the comics?

3)what about the movie? is there going to be a movie? is it live action or animation? cgi?

just curious.

ps-i always thought the coolest visual representation would be a long term animation series. but thats just me. cgi would be better...but...not sure if easier to do.

My understanding (which may be flawed) is that Red Eagle were inexplicably unhappy with the work the Dabel Brothers (who are the market-leaders in fantasy novel-to-comic adaptions) were doing on the comics and tried to take the project off them and failed. RJ, I believe, was pretty happy with the work the Bros were doing. In addition Red Eagle made some fuss about getting a well-known director interested in the EotW movie and a husband-and-wife scripting team were supposed to be working on a script. However, that was 12-18 months ago and absolutely nothing has happened on the project to date, seemingly contradticting Red Eagle's statements.

There may be an element of RJ pondering what his rights management company is doing when very little in the way of spin-off projects have appeared compared to say George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (which has sold fewer copies) has quite a few side-projects generating a fairly impressive amount of publicity for the series (two versions of a roleplaying game, a minatures line, an artbook, a world guide book, a boardgame with expansions, a tactical wargame, tons of art, busts, a live-action adaption by HBO etc).

As for the comic, I think there's a rights dispute at the moment between Red Eagle and Dabel Brothers. Dabel should finish off the comic once the rights revert from Red Eagle to RJ.

Archived