DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The THIRD most important question on this website!!!!!!!

spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually hoping that Rand and the DO would be pushing daisies. It would be boring if Rand did not die and maybe take random people along with him (as long as it is not Mat!)  If the DO on the other hand does not snuff it, the book would have been a colossal waste of time

The DO can't "snuff it". With out the DO, the world would be throne into worse chaos that if he won. The Pattern must be balanced in all things. The Light and the Dark, The Creator and The Dark One. Were it not so, the Creator would have just offed the DO to begin with. So in order to remove the DO, one must also remove the Creator. If both are removed, then life itself is meaningless, as there is no conflict.

I really didn't mean to go all philosophical on you, but the idea that they can just kill the DO and have it done with really annoys me.

I don't think it's any of the above.  Lewis Therin will die but not Rand.  Make any sense?  I am rereading the books so when I find the quotes to explain it better I'll be back.  I agree with Nelal Hurcran the DO can't be snuffed out, but he will probably be sent back in some form or another.

The DO can't "snuff it". With out the DO, the world would be throne into worse chaos that if he won. The Pattern must be balanced in all things. The Light and the Dark, The Creator and The Dark One. Were it not so, the Creator would have just offed the DO to begin with. So in order to remove the DO, one must also remove the Creator. If both are removed, then life itself is meaningless, as there is no conflict.

I really didn't mean to go all philosophical on you, but the idea that they can just kill the DO and have it done with really annoys me.

I also agree that it is unlikely that the Dark One will die, however i disagree with your reasoning. The Wheel must exist in balance, but it has its own machinisms for that (and indeed does quite well in the periods where the Dark One has absolutely no influence on ta'maral'ailen at all).

The Dark One is an external variable, not an instrument or position on the balance of the weave of the Ages.

Additionally, your idea that without such a state that the Creator would simply have killed the Dark One is unsupported by the texts. We have no indications that the Creator has the power to kill the Dark One, or even win in a confrontation with him. For full details one what we do know of the Creator check out the 'Nature of the Creator' thread.

Following that point, your claim that life would have no meaning lacking the Creator and the Dark One is equally fallacious. In terms of the text, peoples meanings are formed by the age-lace and ta'maral'ailen, or if they step outside the weave of the pattern, by their own choice. The Creator and the Dark One serve no purpose in the establishment of natural life cycles within the weaving of the wheel. The Dark One sometimes influences it, sure, but the claim that he, or the Creator in some way imbue it is simply unsupported.

Personally, I have never been a big fan of the Rand-Moridin body switch. I have never been convinced that Min's viewing is that literal - take the whole Falcon/Hawk fighting over Perrin viewing - did an actual falcoln and hawk fight for him, no - but he probably would have been better off had that been the case.

As for Rand himself, I personally think he will live but there may be consequences, unless Aviendha becomes pregnant with 6 children simultaneously - there is no way he can die - plus Min has not had any children yet and she viewed all 3 of Rand's gals with his future dependants, throw the whole state of body away completely and focus on the fact the this guy is gonna need to hold down 10 jobs to support all those ankle-biters. I think the DO will be defeated - but I am leaving the whole hypothetical ending blank in my mind because I can not honestly see how RJ will close the series.

maybe lews therin dies after TG

Um actually Lewis is an alter ego of Rand (I think that is how you explain it ;)) . Lewis is as much a part of Rand As his Hand (Well technically his hand is not attached but you get the point). So technically if Lewis dies Part of Rand dies.

My theory is after his long strenuous fight with the DO, Rand lives; Lewis is still there, so our smart sheepherder decides to rid himself of the guy. He Gathered Nyve his lovers and co. and they do this huge fancy show with a lot of sweating, screaming and Weaving and Lewis is finally gone! Suddenly Rand’s Eyes get large he turns to his three lovers And children, says some famous last words and dies a pointless un-heroic senseless unnecessary death! ;D

In the middle of this massive last battle, Rand faces off with Shai'tan and smites him, only to lose control of the source to Lews Therin and start killing everyone off, and Perrin, Mat, Lan, and all those Aes Sedai, and Asha'man have to destroy him or be destroyed, with the final blow going to that chick that Min said would help him die... or something like that.

Archived