DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What does it take to channel?

Kura

Well, I have a theory on exactly what it takes to channel, though some parts of it are at best sketchy, but most of those are unimportant to the whole anyways. Without further pause, another crackpot theory by Kura. (I seem to have a lot of those today. >_>)

Well, to start what does it take to channel? Is it an ability of the soul, or the body? Personally, I think its both. Using the ever useful example of a lock and key. The larger portion, but no more important, is the soul's ability, like a lock contains most of the mechanisms. The actual power of the channeler is in the soul, along with the connection to either saidin or saidar, which shall be explained in a bit, while the body is the key to unlocking it.

I feel safe in assuming this, because of the scene where Ny healed logain. She felt something when she was probing with the power. A hypothetical bridge, that had been destroyed. She spanned this bridge with saidar, and he could channel again. Now the main reason I say that this bridge originated in the body, was because I have seen no evidence to support the fact that the OP can effect the soul, I believe that that is more of the TP's power(though thats really for a different thread). If someone had the direct quoting from the book, that'd either make or break this theory.

Now elaborating on an earlier point, specifically that the strength and which piece of the OP is within the soul. Quite simply, the transmigration of the Forsaken. In none of the POVs that I remember does it mention any of them being reduced in power, with the obvious exception of Cyndaine/Lanfear. That can be explained as her being stilled by the Finn though, and I put a lot of faith in that. (Thanks Luckers for all your information on the subject.)Which peice you channel also seems to be in the soul, by the same example. Aran'gar. Female who channels the male half of the source. I believe that the body that was taken had the ability to channel, and when the new soul was placed within, the bridge simply led to a different place, to put it simply.

To further support this last point, look at Rand and LTT. LTT died by way overdosing on Saidin, and when you do such a thing another side effect occurs, being severed/stilled/gentled. Rand can obviously channel, and so its safe to assume that it was LTT's body that would have been burnt out, and not his soul. Of course this particular argument relies upon the timing of the loss of ability to channel. Did he summon the OP and it just flew out of him uncontrollably severing him and then creating dragonmount? Though honestly I feel that this is all of little importance of if his body was actually severed, as the fact remains that he, himself, can actually channel as shown in the battle against the trollocs when he seizes Saidin. We also know that he is not someone created by Rand's exposure to the taint persay, but the actual LTT in his head from Semiharge in KoD.

I know there are probably other ways to support or destroy this theory that I simply can't recall at this moment in time, but please feel free to support or deny my idea as you will. Any direct quotes from the book would greatly be appreciated, I admit that it has been a while since I've read them, and small children managed to get in my room when I was in Germany, so I can't go through and do a reread. -.-;

I feel safe in assuming this, because of the scene where Ny healed logain. She felt something when she was probing with the power. A hypothetical bridge, that had been destroyed. She spanned this bridge with saidar, and he could channel again. Now the main reason I say that this bridge originated in the body, was because I have seen no evidence to support the fact that the OP can effect the soul, I believe that that is more of the TP's power(though thats really for a different thread). If someone had the direct quoting from the book, that'd either make or break this theory.

We have seen the One Power directly effect the soul in the form of the various dream ter'angreal that enable the soul to enter TAR, and the hedgehog which completely removes the soul all together.

Archived