DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Being Turned Against Your Will

Lune

So we know that with 13 channellers and 13 Fades, you can turn another channeller to the Dark against their will. But what does it entail? Is it just some sort of permanent compulsion? Does that mean that that person will suddenly act evil and DF-ish, or is it something more like Fain's 'remaking' where they can still think but it torments them, their body doesn't quite submit to their will and drives them mad.

Week 15 Question: When a channeler is forcibly turned to the Dark, is his/her former personality lost to eternity? Are they in a permanent state of mindless Compulsion? Furthermore, can a channeler forcibly turned to the Dark return to the Light unaided?

Robert Jordan Answers: They are not in a mindless state of Compulsion. Their former personality is twisted, the darker elements that everyone has to some degree elevated while what might be called the good elements are largely suppressed. I don't mean things like courage, which is useful even to villains, but they are unlikely to be very charitable, for example, and forget any altruistic impulses. Call it being turned into a mirror image of yourself in many ways. It is very unlikely that a channeler forcibly turned to the Shadow could find a way back to the Light unaided. For one reason, by virtue of the twisting he or she had undergone, it is very unlikely that he or she would have any desire to do so.

http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=152

naw it wouldn't be ogier, cause they're like the equivalent of Trolloc's. It would have to be 1-up from ogier, like whatever the green man was, i forgot what they were called.

the green man was a Nym

it would be intresting but at the moment as far as the story is concerned the last nym has died i beleive

ogiers are not the equivalent of trollocs at least not in WOT - they are very intelligent, intellectual, historians and architects, artists when it comes to wood and singing... maybe the Gardeners have been turned fighting machines but the Rand land ogiers are not like that - yes they can fight we saw that in KOD but is not their nature.

I don't think turning someone against their will to the light is possible - its a contradiction in it self - how can you force some one to be good? Goodness needs to come form conviction or inner motive not compulsion.

As for Sheriam - it would be interesting to read over her parts with that definition form RJ - does it fit has she lost her good side, is it suppressed etc.. needs some research.

Question, I have only gotten through the first 4 books so this is why I am confused. But it sounds like you all are saying that Sheriam (Mistress of Novices) was turned to the shadow. I was to understand that Egwene made her the keeper of chronicals...so When did this happen which book.

Darth_Andrea

I don't think Sheriam was turned against her will.

Mostly, when would this have happened, Sheriam has only been bullied by a Sitter, not taken anywhere that we know of and forced into the Shadow.

This probably happened in the War of Power, or when Dreadlords were around, but again it probably didn't happen very often because of how difficult it is to do...but since it's known that it CAN be done, it probably WAS done enough to make mention of it.

As it stands, even the Black Ajah would have to work out which weaves to use and how to channel them, and who is strong enough...because the Black Ajah didn't know all the Age of Legend weaves (Alviarin was taught to Travel by Messaana only recently so it wasn't like they got special priviledge weaves or anything just because they worked for the Shadow) I'm guessing that no one presently has been forced.

I think that made sense.

naw it wouldn't be ogier, cause they're like the equivalent of Trolloc's. It would have to be 1-up from ogier, like whatever the green man was, i forgot what they were called.

Not realy. Think about it. Mydrall (sp?) inspire fear. Ogier try and create peace. Mydrall are quick and take awile to accept death. Ogier are slow, thoughtful and take whatever comes in stride. Two exact oppists.

No, the biggest problem with this theory is:

I don't think turning someone against their will to the light is possible - its a contradiction in it self - how can you force some one to be good? Goodness needs to come form conviction or inner motive not compulsion.

But it still makes for an interesting conversation point.

Archived