DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT anime series?

siterock

Guest nephitess

I think it would be a fun idea. :) Not sure if it has been discussed before or not but lets move this thread over to the General Disscussion board.

*moved by Nephitess*

No. Period.

TWOT is way too great story to be turned into a damn cartoon.

QFT. Anime's terrible. Turning tWoT into an anime would be akin to turning the Bible into a risque Las Vegas musical.

Hmm...that might actually work. *runs to call Las Vegas*

Not that this hasn't been stated in the other forums about fifty-seven times already, but presenting a story in an animated format doesn't automatically make it a cartoon, and thusly as a medium it is neither suitable or unsuitable for WoT to be expressed in; it's just a medium. Assuming you're referring to the Rankin-Bass LotR, it was the stupid writing, overly light tone, and poor animation that ruined it, not simply the fact that it was animated. Well actually that applies to the Bakshi one as well, to an extent. Anyone who doubts the ability of animation to handle WoT or any similar series need look no further than the magnum opus that is Akira.

Guest nephitess

I totally agree Alys. The Animation has to be done well. The old LOTR anime sucked big time. I think the WOT could be done well and be enjoyable. this is not a book to anime example but i think it makes a good point....just look at Eragon!! *shakes head and sighs* that was a huge disappiontment.

I'm moderately astonished you could get away with Speed Racer *then*

Also, Roddy Macdowell's terrible performance as Sam didn't help any.

There are scads of really bleeping good anime, but only the hardcore anime fans are aware of it on the other continents; otherwise all people know is Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, stuff that only has like four frames per second, if that. No wonder there's such an opposition.

Wow, I didn't expect that kind of response.  As somebody pointed out earlier in this thread, there are some amazing anime out there in terms of quality.  You just have to look for it.  In Japan, anime is a very evolved art form.  Where we had Hollywood, they had animation.  The reasons I think WoT would fit nicely into the medium are 1) the WoT books have sold well in Japan and there is a japanese fanbase and 2)the serial format of most anime series is such that the story could be fully fleshed out over several seasons, avoiding the massive plot edits that are common in even a three-hour film or "cartoon".  You guys are seriously missing out if you think of anime as stupid cartoons.  Most are free for download because they haven't been licensed for sale in the US.  That also means that they aren't dubbed in english, but there are lots of fans who provide subtitles just because they can and they love it.  These 'fansubbers' often have their own Bit Torrent tracker set up to distribute their work.  In my humble opinion, they're better in Japanese anyway.  The english dubs are usually bad, and sometimes even give characters a completely different feel.  Check out www.anidb.info  It's a huge database of anime titles new and old.  There are many genres available, and lots of cross-genre stuff.  Even some fantasy, though not much frankly.  There are links to fansubbers from that site as well.  I hope this opens a few eyes.  Animation is not only for children.

Actually, I've seen some of these Japanese "high quality" thingies. Not impressed. Ok, the animation is awesome, but as movies they are still cartoons. In fact, I prefer old school crappy animation like Narnia, where they are not pretending to be realistic.

If a story like WOT should be turned into movie/tv-series, it should be done properly, real actors, live settings as far as possible etc.

Leave anime for goofkind and others like him.

Umm, japanime has been used with original English soundtracking.

Doing the books in any kind of film medium will alienate a good many people. No matter how good it is.

The fact that it would be dubbed in the first place is a problem, and producing an anime series would alienate a great many more people than other more recognized mediums. Anyway, what I was talking about when I referred to 'translation' was the change in tone certain events could have if the project was  headed by a Japanese studio. Culturally japan is very different from western countries, so their take on the story could end up feeling changed and unfamiliar to a western audience.

Also, whenever someone states we have seen and dislike anime, a fan always pops in to tell us how foolish we are, since there are apparently millions of much better films we don't have access to. But what are the chances WoT would get developed by one of those better, more obscure studios?

When did anime come to define animation as a whole, and not simply the Japanese kind?

Also, whenever someone states we have seen and dislike anime, a fan always pops in to tell us how foolish we are, since there are apparently millions of much better films we don't have access to. But what are the chances WoT would get developed by one of those better, more obscure studios?

Pretty good, if they get hired to do it  ::) and anyway, they're not so obscure over there.

3D animation would actually be a pretty interesting medium for WoT.

What they're doing with Beowulf could work, along those lines.

Hey, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.  I can relate to your point of view, however, because for the longest time anime just didn't appeal to me, however much my friends tried to turn my head.  I just wasn't interested in sitting through some in order to find out if I liked it or not.  I'd seen a few things, and that was plenty as far as I was concerned.  Then one day I just happened to have the grudgingly open enough mindset to ingest yet another of my friend's attempts and I was hooked.  It's the same with music for me.  I don't like to be turned on to things, frankly.  I like to have my own reason for enjoying something.  At any rate, I've found anime to be a very expressive medium that seems to be unfettered in many respects compared to american stuff in general.  I'm not hating on america, I've just found a fondness for japanese culture, especially anime.  The range of emotion, the care given to fleshing out characters and the depth of storytelling blows away anything else I can think of, save really well-written fiction by say...Robert Jordan, Frank Herbert, Stephen King or William Gibson. 

Another thing:  oftentimes in anime you'll have voice-over of the character's internal thoughts.  I think that would work really well with RJs writing.  Granted, it would be a massive undertaking and I really don't ever expect it to happen, but I will continue to dream of The Eye of The World made into roughly 26 episodes of goodness!

Just my 2 cents.  I was hoping for a little shared nerd love here.  I certainly didn't intend to start a flame war over it.  Sorry if i offended anybody.

Archived