DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Eye of the World

Luckers

Again, already discussed, but i ran accross it in search of the aMoL thread, and thought i would post it.

My question is this. Did Ishamael send Aginor and Balthemel, and whether he did or not, did he seek to sabotage their attempt to gain control of the eye?

Ok, firstly, we know that he sent Jain Farstrider to the Ogier with a warning. Addtionally it seems likely that it was he that ensured that the Maidens discovered their snippet of information, and ensured one of them survived long enough to speak it; no group of humans would survive three times their number in trollocs in open ground no matter how accomplished they are as fighters.

So it seems almost as if Ishamael wanted some of the light to be there. Ostensibly it could have been a trap for Rand, yet how would Ishamael have known that Rand would have been in a position to react to that information, or even gain it, at the time that he sent it south--the same argument goes for the need for the taint of shadar logoth to be present in order for the forsaken to find it; Ishamael had no way of predicting that, even with his veiled comments.

So that raises the question of who was the trap for? If it was for Aginor and Balthemel... well, it doesn't make much sense. As Nae'blis they represent a tool to him--a potentially dangerous one, but a tool nonetheless.

It occurs to me that the trap was not the intention, but rather that the Eye be destroyed. He knew that Aginor and Balthemel would keep it for themselves, and that this would be a massive card in their deck, so he sent information south in order that their be a contingent of Aes Sedai there waiting for them. The idea was not that they die, but that they drain they Eye in fighting the Aes Sedai before the Dragon could possible use it. The appearence of Rand was an added bonus making it even more likely the eye would be drained.

Still, im not sure. What do you all think?

Guest cwestervelt

Based on Ishamael's comments to Rand, I would say it was simply Aginor's greed that drew him to the Eye.  Ishamael may have guessed that Aginor would go there, but I don't think he did anything to prod him on.

Based on Ishamael's comments to Rand, I would say it was simply Aginor's greed that drew him to the Eye.  Ishamael may have guessed that Aginor would go there, but I don't think he did anything to prod him on.

I'm with cwestervelt on this one.  Considering Aginor's comments, and considering how surprised Ishy was to see Rand after his fun in Tarwin's Gap, I'd say Ishy was unaware of the events that were transpiring until Rand arrived.

If that was Ishamael's plan, it was a pretty crappy one ...

Why would Aginor and/or Balthamel drain the Eye to fight the Aes Sedai?  They could just crisp them with normally filtered saidin, and keep the Eye for later.  Aginor only drew on the Eye at all because there was someone else there who could use it: Rand al'Thor.

So unless Ishamael expected this "Aes Sedai contingent" to bring a male channeler to challenge Aginor and Balthamel, why would he expect Aginor and Balthamel to use the Eye?

Also, how did he expect Aginor and Balthamel to find the Eye?  They followed Mat there, not Moiraine or even Rand, by Aginor's admission.  Did Ishamael anticipate the "Aes Sedai contingent" would bring something from Shadar Logoth?

Ishamael certainly wasn't surprised that Aginor and Balthamel took the opportunity that arose, but I doubt he planned it that way.

Considering that Ishy is the forsaken most loyal to the DO, why would he possibly want Aginor and Balthamel to get possession of a pool of pure Saidin, which would make it possible for them to channel without using the filter protecting them against the taint?

Archived