DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Dark is Rising (Strangely enough contains a mild Harry Potter spoiler)

dlan4327

This is a bit of topic but seeing how, on the old forums at least, there was always a thread asking for recommendations on what to read while waiting for AMOL I thought I'd do a bit of shameless advertising for The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. I only found out about the series when I saw the trailer for the movie, I know how embarrassing for a self proclaimed fantasy buff who prides himself on being so widely read, and I just finished the series and I have to say it's a great read. I mean yes there were little things that made me say oh he's a little too perfect or she's too whiny etc. On the whole though it''s a brilliant series that doesn't fall into the traps that many great series have like being too cliched or dragging on, not naming names... The one thing that made me truly love this series however is the ending. Without giving too much away lets just say Susan Cooper has guts and she gets the ending just right. It's definitely a bittersweet end to the series and if you're interested in the Harry Potter, no offense meant toward JK, sugary sweet ending where everything's all happy and bright and people all hold hands and get married ending you're in for a slight disappointment. If, however, you're interested in a series where the ending leaves you at once feeling satisfied yet still with a feeling of melancholy and a feeling of pity that you can't quite shake, and will never forget, then I heartily recommend The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper, listed below in order:

1. Over Sea, Under Stone

2. The Dark is Rising

3. Greenwitch

4. The Grey King

5. Silver on the Tree 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read the series, and yes it is a good read;however, I suggest not reading the first book of the series, because it is not very relevant to the other four books, and it is written in another style, not to mention it is not very entertaining. I'm sorry that I've been rambling and I know this sentence is grammatically incorrect, please forgive me.

I really did enjoy this series though I've never been able to re-read them... likely because of the first book, which is quite boring.

Did'nt know they were making a movie of them though... im betting it will be bad.

Yeah, I didn't like the way Harry Potter ended. It left me with a feeling that everything had resolved itself, that everyone lived happily ever after. It should've at least left some kind of question as to the future.

I mean, with Voldemort dead, it was like nothing mattered anymore. There isn't any great quest left, and no more death eaters, and basically everyone just gets to live their lives with no more problems.

She could have given us a cliffhanger or something, at least.

J.K.R has said she is thinking seriously about writing a enclypedia of the Potter world. She said it will answer the questions as to what happens after the fact to all the characters not mentioned in the epilogue. Also allow her to give back story to characters that she couldn't find room for in the narritive of the series.

Dath_Andrea

I first read The Dark is Rising 26 years ago at school, but couldn't remember what it was called until about three years ago and then re-read it. I have heard that the film is a load of rubbish - it's not even set in England and bears little relation to the books. If you like the books, I wouldn't bother seeing the film or you'll just end up enraged by it, as is sadly often the way.

J.K.R has said she is thinking seriously about writing a enclypedia of the Potter world. She said it will answer the questions as to what happens after the fact to all the characters not mentioned in the epilogue. Also allow her to give back story to characters that she couldn't find room for in the narritive of the series.

I know. That's one thing to be excited about, at least, while waiting for the sixth movie.

Hopefully she includes full-color maps of the basic scheme of hogwarts (even though she has said that the stairwells and other moving things would make a cartographer go mad), along with Hogsmead and Diagon Alley and other places.

And I would like it if she included locations of other wizarding schools.

A lot more info on the Peverells and the deathly hollows would be nice. And more on horcruxes and dark magic.

And at least a page of information on every character, past and future. I'd like to know what Hermione did to help House Elfs, and why she decided to get involved in Magical Law.

And family trees, extensive family trees.

And a lot of information on wands and wand cores.

And info on magical objects and everything.

I really hope it truly is a veritable encyclopedia.

Guest cwestervelt

And family trees, extensive family trees.

What, you want to know how far back it was that Hermione's family line merged with wizarding blood?  I found it kind of ironic how her post novel interview statements actually confirmed the Death Eater claim that all muggle born needed to have a wizard in the family somewhere.

Well, we already know this much:

(Sorry if it is hard to read, just go to here if you want to see a bigger image.)

peverell.jpg

But I wouldn't mind knowing at least a little more...perhaps the family trees of the immediate family of all the minor characters (though that would be more than a "little.")

Yeah, I didn't like the way Harry Potter ended. It left me with a feeling that everything had resolved itself, that everyone lived happily ever after. It should've at least left some kind of question as to the future.

I mean, with Voldemort dead, it was like nothing mattered anymore. There isn't any great quest left, and no more death eaters, and basically everyone just gets to live their lives with no more problems.

She could have given us a cliffhanger or something, at least.

of course there's a cliffhanger! what kinda car does ron have?

Theres alot of good books out there. Any person who liked the wheel of time should, and some probably already have read the sword of truth series, and i just started reading the Runelord series. They're pretty good. and umm most things by Raymond e feist. and well theres probly others but my brains turned off right now.

Guest cwestervelt

I read the first book of Sword of TruthWizard's First Rule I think it is called.  That was the first time I read a book that I considered to have been a pure rip-off of another series.  The whole sword of truth thing just reminded me of The Sword of Shannara.

Guest cwestervelt

The The Eye of the World simply had something that I found Wizard's First Rule lacked.  Just what it was, I don't know, I just know the end results.  The Eye of the World left me wanting more.  Wizard's First Rule just left me wanting to be done with it.

i stumbled on The Eye of the World when it was first released, i was literally reading through the genre at the time, my husband was overseas, and it kept me out of trouble ;D i truly loved the book on first read through, re-read it immediately and was hooked.up to that point i had already read through everything by eddings, donaldson, tolkein, rawn, williams, dragonlance, and even peirs xanthony (yes, i will admit it). i still seriously love the donaldson series the chronicles of thomas covenant, ive read the new one "runes of the earth".....oh, and harry potter of course :) i didnt mind the cheesy ending, although i didnt think it was neccessary.

I read the first book of Sword of TruthWizard's First Rule I think it is called.  That was the first time I read a book that I considered to have been a pure rip-off of another series.  The whole sword of truth thing just reminded me of The Sword of Shannara.

I read the Sword of Shannara a long time ago, and can't remember much about it, yet strangely, I found that the Sword of Truth series was more like The Wheel Of Time series, only minus the complexity of plot.

Specifically, if you read the next three books in the series, it will seem a lot like The Wheel of Time.

There is this female witch society similar to Aes Sedai, and they seek out male wizards and prophets like the red ajah, and they bind them with a metal collar like the Seanchan. Or something like that, though it's been a few months since I read the last book.

I'm like Ealder. The similarities between the Sword of Truth and the Wheel of Time left me gagging. Though to be fair i have no issues in believing that that hack stole from other series' as well. Later on he certainly rips off Ayn Rand. The worst thing about the series is the elemants he adds himself. Every single book the main plot is the same. Richard and Kahlan get seperated, Richard delivers speaches that characters much older and wiser than himself call him a fool over, Richard turns out to be right, saves Kahlan, the older and wiser characters all proceed to gratiuotously appologise for their abject foolishness in disagreeing with Richar, and go on about what a great hero he is. Only to do it again in the next book after sevetny pages of recaps.

Its so obvious that Goodkind thinks of Richard as himself, its disgusting.

Best comment ever, by RJ (paraphrased).

Q. There is a series called the Sword of Truth written by Terry Goodkind that some people think has a lot of similarities to the Wheel of Time.

A. I'm aware of Mr. Goodkind.

It's so ominous. Its awesome.

Incidently, Ealdur, the female witches are Sisters of the Light; there are also Sisters of the Dark and the a'dam crossover is called the rada'han.

Best comment ever, by RJ (paraphrased).

Q. There is a series called the Sword of Truth written by Terry Goodkind that some people think has a lot of similarities to the Wheel of Time.

A. I'm aware of Mr. Goodkind.

It's so ominous. Its awesome.

Indeed, best comment ever. I folled that chat live, and when this came up I laughed so much I almost fell off my chair.

Did I mention I'm not exactly a goofkind fan? ;D

Archived