DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moraine – Case Closed

Jeff from MI

Here is my not-so-crazy-if-I-say-so-myself opinion on the situation with Moraine.

1. Moraine obviously did not die when she and Lanfear went tumbling through the door frame. I think people assume this because the door melted and Lan’s bond was transferred to another Aes Sedi, however, this is why those theories are wrong.

a. Moraine had told Lan that she had made preparations for his bond to be transferred upon her death, and I believe even jokingly threatened to do it before her death, which is the important part.

b. Before Moraine tackled Lanfear and tumbled through the doorway with her, she channeled. Everyone assumes that she was doing something against Lanfear, but I think she was transferring Lan’s bond at that point.

2. Moraine will return as one of, if not the, strongest female channeler on the side of light

a. Jordan gives us a few hints across a few different books, but it boils down to this.

i. Lanfear was one of the strongest forsaken, just below Ishamel.

ii. She was not always that strong. She gained a large amount of strength while she was trapped with the aelfin and eilfin. (Ring a bell?) That is why the doorframe melted and only Lanfear died, because she had already used her one trip to the Aelfin (or was it Eilfin?).

iii. In book 11, it is mentioned that Graendahl told one of the male forsaken that Cindane could not possibly be Lanfear reincarnated because she was not as strong as Lanfear. I think that when the dark one reincarnated her, she went back to her original strength.

b. I think that Moraine will get the same “deal” that Lanfear got from the A&E in the age of legends, or possibly get Lanfear’s “extra strength” as a result of their trip through the doorway together.

3. Min, or was it Egwene, said that Rand needed “a dead woman’s” help to win the last battle.

a. I think that Moraine and Alvira (maybe Nyneve too) will “help Rand to die” but then bring him back. This may be necessary for Rand to separate himself from Lews Therin who will die fighting the Dark One. Then Rand will finish the job while Matt and Perrin take care of the Dark One’s minions and Logain takes care of the evil male channelers.

b. I think she gains this knowledge from the A&E and will control a circle to make it happen.

4. I believe that when Matt saves Moraine is when he will have to “give up half the light of the world to save the world.” I think this refers to something happening to Tuon but maybe not.

Those are SOME of my crazy theories. I will try to get book and page references when I have time.

P.S. Also, I like michelob’s idea of Tom channeling. It would explain his frustration with the Red Ajah not giving his nephew enough time to deal with it and also his survival from the Murdrahl in Whitebridge.

Here is my not-so-crazy-if-I-say-so-myself opinion on the situation with Moraine.

1. Moraine obviously did not die when she and Lanfear went tumbling through the door frame. I think people assume this because the door melted and Lan’s bond was transferred to another Aes Sedi, however, this is why those theories are wrong.

a. Moraine had told Lan that she had made preparations for his bond to be transferred upon her death, and I believe even jokingly threatened to do it before her death, which is the important part.

b. Before Moraine tackled Lanfear and tumbled through the doorway with her, she channeled. Everyone assumes that she was doing something against Lanfear, but I think she was transferring Lan’s bond at that point.

No-one assumes she died (any more) as we know she is still alive, we assume she was stilled. The bond transfers automatically upon death or stilling, i.e. the end of the previous bond. If M released Lan's bond, he wouldn't have suffered the death effect, which he did, so she didn't, and she didn't get a chance, so she couldn't even if she wanted to. WRONG

2. Moraine will return as one of, if not the, strongest female channeler on the side of light

a. Jordan gives us a few hints across a few different books, but it boils down to this.

i. Lanfear was one of the strongest forsaken, just below Isahmael.

ii. She was not always that strong. She gained a large amount of strength while she was trapped with the aelfinn and eelfinn. (Ring a bell?) That is why the doorframe melted and only Lanfear died, because she had already used her one trip to the Eelfin.

iii. In book 11, it is mentioned that Graendal told one of the male Chosen that Cyndane could not possibly be Lanfear reincarnated because she was not as strong as Lanfear. I think that when the dark one reincarnated her, she went back to her original strength.

Lanfear was strong. As far as we know, she was always that strong, and if you have any evidence otherwise, then post it. We know of no trip to the Eelfinn. The rest is invention, and unnecessary invention at that. The doorway melted because of the problems associated with channeling near ter'angreal, and how dangerous that is often said to be. WRONG

b. I think that Moraine will get the same “deal” that Lanfear got from the A&E in the age of legends, or possibly get Lanfear’s “extra strength” as a result of their trip through the doorway together.
She won't get a deal, she broke their doorway/trade route. Why would they give her anything? WRONG

3. Min said that Rand needed “a dead woman’s” help to win the last battle.

a. I think that Moiraine and Alivia (maybe Nynaeve too) will “help Rand to die” but then bring him back. This may be necessary for Rand to separate himself from Lews Therin who will die fighting the Dark One. Then Rand will finish the job while Mat and Perrin take care of the Dark One’s minions and Logain takes care of the evil male channelers.

b. I think she gains this knowledge from the A&E and will control a circle to make it happen.

How would that separate Rand from the voice in his head? That is a part of Rand, and dying and coming back probably won't help. As for info from the Finn, again, why would they give her anything? She's a prisoner. WRONG

4. I believe that when Matt saves Moraine is when he will have to “give up half the light of the world to save the world.” I think this refers to something happening to Tuon but maybe not.
Bloody hell! Considering that the usual theory is that Mat will lose an eye in the rescue attempt, if the usual theory is right, you are HALF RIGHT!!! How is Tuon half the light of the world though?

Those are SOME of my crazy theories braindead ramblings. I will try to get book and page references when I have time.

P.S. Also, I like michelob’s idea of Tom channeling. It would explain his frustration with the Red Ajah not giving his nephew enough time to deal with it and also his survival from the Myrddraal in Whitebridge.

Thom can't channel. If he could, he would be either a sparker, and thus long since gone mad and wasted away, and died, or a learner, in which case what started him channeling? It's not easy for a learner to self teach, and why would Thom go to the effort? In short, WRONG. Not a good total. Most of this stuff is flat out wrong. And other things can explain his survival, other than something which we have no evidence of.

As it is, you really need to do a bit more research. Keep trying though, and someday you might almost be a good poster. And I'm probably the least pleasant person here, so don't let me put you off staying here.

Concerning Thom and the myrddraal, when he deflected the myrddraal's blow with his knives, there was a blue flash similar to the one witnessed in Lan's sword fight with them near Shadar Logoth in tEotW, indicating that, like Lan's heron mark blade, Thom's knives may well be Power-wrought. That would go a long way toward explaining his survival.

She did so unconsciously or RJ deliberately didn't tell us what she did: it was from her point of view. She embraced the source, then tackled Lanfear while knocking the angreal out of Lanfear's hands.

moiraine did not need to transfer lan's bond in that moment, she had pre-arranged the bond tranfer with myrelle.

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure when an AS sets up for a Bond to transfer, the intended recipient of that Bond would have to be there. So unless Myrelle was hiding under the wagon, then I'm pretty sure that's ruled out.

Archived