DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How come nobody gets dead in WoT?

Despair

Beside bit players, how come nobody dies in WoT?  The Forsaken all get born again. Mat, Rand, and Perrin get stabbed, clobbered and even hung. Yet they dont die.  Just when you think it is safe to go back in the water, Moiraine will be coming back.  (If Cindane did...)

We've all read from beginning to end, or book 1 to 11, but not one main character has died.

I've finally read the Harry Potter books 1-6 and am on 7 now. I never read them because I thought they were childrens book.  They are written for young adults, right? No problem with getting rid of people.

I think RJ loves his characters way too much and cant let go.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think RJ loves his characters way too much and cant let go.

True. This way, the story lacks some kind of believability. The ta'veren can't die yet, okay, but it wouldn't have hurt to kill off Elayne, Egwene, or Siuan somewhere along the way.

Guest cwestervelt

The appropriate age group for "Harry Potter" is is one of the commonly debated subjects.  The theme of death that runs through the books has caused some groups to consider them completely unsuited for children.  I don't really agree with that, but I can see where they are coming from.  While not written specifically for adults, the later books were certainly written with an adult audience in mind.

I see HP as written for the age group to which Harry belongs in that year. It's meant to be bought one-a-year.

So true. Why else is Rowling the first billionaire writer..

My point is that in all of my favorite series, most characters die, or stay dead.  Dan Simmons, George Martin, and Tolkien can usually keep a dead character dead.

Well for the Darkfriends at least I can see that changing big time in AMoL...Although, I don't see RJ killing anybody from the Light off, maybe some Aiel or minor Generals but no more. Most of the 'disposable' characters have too many ties to things ie Egwene (New Amrylin), Elyne (Babies) etc...I really don't think RJ would leave orphans...

To be honest I understand killing off characters can be necessary for reality sake, but it doesn't mean I have to like it...I really would be pissed if Rand died.

But I don't think it will happen as Rand does have a cryptic clue as to how he can survive for the Snake peoples.

'Points' to Gandalf.  It isn't that RJ loves his characters too much, it is that they already have their places in Tarmon Gaidon.  Many will die in AMoL.  I can tell you that.  Plus, RJ makes up for all this by weaving one of the greatest epics of all time.

Sorry to be a spoil, but how is killing off characters an indication of realism? Why is it that if you have no further use of a character you HAVE to KILL her/him off? Why can't you have the character in question fade away from the story? In our reality, not all characters die. *boring*, I hear some--maybe most--say. Basically, if there's no large amount of deaths in a story, it becomes hard to stomach. It's only fiction, yet I can't help but wonder why death excites and fascinate men so much. Jeez, human beings are such drama queens/kings.

I do enjoy George Martin's work, but I get a headache when he's mentioned as an example of realism.

The thing is it is the Wheel of time. The main characters (Rand Mat and Perrin anyway) are too important. For Rand, its a case of a) he's LTT reborn, who was reborn himself and so on, the spirit of the Dragon will forever be reborn and b) he HAS to stay alive to fight TG. Its testament to his skill with a sword and the Power that he survives. For Mat, he's ta'veren which does have some purpose, plus he has sooooo much luck. He actually DID die, in Rhuidean when he was hung from the tree, but Rand revived him. He has the memories of dead men and I believe that rather than being the soul of one particular person (although isnt he supposed to be Hawkwing reborn?) he is fulfilling a role - every time this age comes around there is a general and Mat is this time round's general - he is imperative to Rand winning. Perrin... i'm not so sure. He's special, sure, he's ta'veren, and he's married to Faile who will keep him safe if its the last thing he does. He has a strong head on his shoulders and is probably the last of the three to attract notice, most of the time. Rand and Mat tend to end up in the middle of trouble.

Plus be honest if Mat, Perrin, Nynaeve and Egwene all died, would you keep reading?

The thing is it is the Wheel of time. The main characters (Rand Mat and Perrin anyway) are too important. For Rand, its a case of a) he's LTT reborn, who was reborn himself and so on, the spirit of the Dragon will forever be reborn and b) he HAS to stay alive to fight TG. Its testament to his skill with a sword and the Power that he survives. For Mat, he's ta'veren which does have some purpose, plus he has sooooo much luck. He actually DID die, in Rhuidean when he was hung from the tree, but Rand revived him. He has the memories of dead men and I believe that rather than being the soul of one particular person (although isnt he supposed to be Hawkwing reborn?) he is fulfilling a role - every time this age comes around there is a general and Mat is this time round's general - he is imperative to Rand winning. Perrin... i'm not so sure. He's special, sure, he's ta'veren, and he's married to Faile who will keep him safe if its the last thing he does. He has a strong head on his shoulders and is probably the last of the three to attract notice, most of the time. Rand and Mat tend to end up in the middle of trouble.

Plus be honest if Mat, Perrin, Nynaeve and Egwene all died, would you keep reading?

1. Mat did not die in Rhuidean. He died in caemlyn, but that death was reversed thanks to rand balefiring Rahvin.

2. The memories in Mats head are indeed not from his past incarnations, but from people visiting the finns before him.

3. Mat is definitly not Hawkwing reborn, since Hawkwing answered the Horn when Mat blew it in TGH.

4. Perrin is very much imperative to Rand winning, just look at what Mins viewings say about that.

But that main characters can't die before TG doesn't mean they can't die during TG...

Guest cwestervelt

Unless Saldea has an some abnormal laws of heredity concerning the Crown, Perrin can not be King.  He can only be Prince Consort to Queen Zarine.

Personally, I think the "Broken Crown" vision was probably fulfilled when Perrin married Faile.

Indeed..Rand brought him back from the brink of death..the whole dying and living thing refers to the Caemlyn.

As for characters dying I have to say I'd be rather upset if loads of the main characters kept getting killed off.In AMOL I do expect to see some deaths though..maybe Lan,Cadsuane,most of remaning forsaken.

Well its been discussed doign a work "10 years after" w/ Mat

but they may not happen now

Personally I want these people to die:

Rand- its been hinted at and promised to us since book 1. I want him to die to save the world, it would be fitting.

Min- So far because of the wonder girls Rand has started to not want to die anymore. I think if Min was to die Rand would finally be ready to die and stop wit his planning and get to the fighting (+ theres the whole warder thing).

Moraine- i think that she is going to speak with mat and whoever about something in the ael fin place, and maybe even leave it with them. But she's gonna die shortly after Rand's "need of her" that min's seen because Moraine said it herself "she doesn't see anything in her future after her tackling Lanfear except for 1 small thign that is of no importance (Mat coming andmaybe rands need).

I see Suian dying to someone to force egwene to grow up

I see Cadsuane dying and that forcing nyneave to grow up

I see Gawyn dying which forcing Elayne to grow up (and Egwene would live, since I'm one who believe that for them to love each other gawyn must die)

I see Taim dying and maybe Logain

all the forsaken except maybe ishydin (rand dies in ishydin's body maybe? the connection ishydin has to the dark one might allow rand direct connection to the dark one?)

I just flat out want Faile to die though I don't see how it would happen

Likely Davim Bashar will die which gives Perrin an even higher seat of power

I see Loial dying as the only ogier to support staying, and he does stay

we are going to see the aiel truly bleed at last hopfully

and that is my wish for the 12th book^^

now let the ground be washed in a stream of blood as the crows call over the corpses of men and women, to foolish to stand together against the eternal dark^^

first things first to address that.

Perrin Would Die if faile died, and i do not see that as being likely.

Taim will definitely die as to have the whole black tower behind rand he would need ot eliminate taim and his 'cronies' logain wont die as min's prophecy of his glory.

Min might die seems an appropriate way for rand to accept his death

Moiraine probably will

Cadsuane will probably die just before they get to tarmon gaidon seeing as how old she is or she will die at TG

i really cant see any of the rest dying it wouldnt make sense except maybe rand goes mad plugging up the hole in the DO's prison and does as Lews therin did

And one can't say Perrin or Mat will survive either, besides they must be at Rand's side or he will fail.

Well, actually it's guaranteed that Mat will survive, as RJ is planning a book 10 years after Tarmon Gai'don that stars Mat.

Also I think that Rand got his 'get out of TG alive card' from the Aelfinn answers about how to survive TG. Cryptic, but it shows that it's possible to survive...wether or not RJ lets him is another issue. :-\

Archived