DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Knife of Darkness and the vomiting of Beetles at Farmhouses

Jedimuppet

Ok, what's up with that? You know the part where Perrin witnesses the clerk throw up beetles and get eaten from the inside?

They brush it off as no big deal (sort of). Perrin crushes them underfoot, apparently unconcerned. Nobody wonders how they got in his body? I'd be afraid of crushing them and causing eggsacs to go airborne. I'd be afraid it was contagious, but Perrin is very stupid about it, IMO. I know it's probably just a plot element that won't be revisited, but that's a pretty crazy event.

What do you guys think?

J

what a name for a topic' date=' btw. Yes, part of the whole scheme for the DO to come out in the open. Maybe that's why Rand is sick, too?[/quote']

Lol...i always accidentally refer to KoD as knife of darkness, when it should be dreams. Oh well.

I know it's the DO coming out, but I couldn't believe no one considered it might be contagious, that those beetles should be burned before they coudl reproduce, that maybe they weren't as "natural" as they appeared.

I kind of hope that decision comes back to haunt Perrin.

J

He had a singular event in his mind, get faile back. its just one more manifestation of the DO, he realises the last battle is coming, and beetles erupting from someone should be the least of his worries for there will be darker things than that happen in the last battle. IIRC they do note that the beetles were just ordinarly run of the mill wood beetles. Mind you that was pretty nasty.

He had a singular event in his mind' date=' get faile back. its just one more manifestation of the DO, he realises the last battle is coming, and beetles erupting from someone should be the least of his worries for there will be darker things than that happen in the last battle. IIRC they do note that the beetles were just ordinarly run of the mill wood beetles. Mind you that was pretty nasty.[/quote']

As I recall, though, rats spying for the DO look like regular rats. I wouldn't be surprised if those "regular" beetles had the power to infect someone like the poor clerk...

I get what you're saying about Faile, though, but if Perrin has any flaws, it's his singlemindedness when it comes to Faile. He's going to get himself killed only looking straight ahead when he should be keeping an eye behind him.

It just seemed the even was way more important than the treatment RJ gave it.

J

The beetles were nothing more then ordinary beetles. Even if they were created by unorthodox means, they were still ordinary beetles. Even the rats that serve as the Dark One's eyes are still ordinary rats. But it's because they are carrion eaters that they serve the Dark One. They feed off of the power of the Dark One, namely, death.

some beetles are also carrion feeders

(though i think that these were wood eating ones)

i was also under thi impression that his insides turned to beetles, dont forget that perrin is taveren, and the 'bubbles of darkness' are attracted to them

this was most likely a not so subtle remider to watch out for them, the peddler sinking into the road is another example of this, imo

some beetles are also carrion feeders

(though i think that these were wood eating ones)

i was also under thi impression that his insides turned to beetles' date=' dont forget that perrin is taveren, and the 'bubbles of darkness' are attracted to them

this was most likely a not so subtle remider to watch out for them, the peddler sinking into the road is another example of this, imo[/quote']

I agree, I took it as Perrin being like "oh great, yet another annoying bubble of darkness, at least this time nothing is attacking anyone...moving on." I think by this point they are all pretty used to weird stuff happening, and think about it, in the situation, most people would rather not look into something obviously started by the DO, better to just deal with it and move on.

Archived