DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will the handful of Malkieri Aes Sedai left follow the Golden Crane?

Charlz Guybon

Most of the Malkieri Aes Sedai went off and got themselves killed after Malkier fell, so my guess is those that survived are those that never felt any real connection to their homeland... so no, they probably wont follow the Golden Crane.

Guest cwestervelt

I highly doubt it. It's said several times in the books that Aes Sedei foresake all ties to their homeland and put the Tower first.

It's also been noted that, while the official line is that they foresake all ties, few Aes Sedai truly do.  Most of them still show attachments to the areas they are from.  Even Liandrin still came off as Taraboner.

Well, it's one thing to keep to the cultural norms you were raised with when they don't conflict with your new alliegance, but it's another to go running off against the needs and requirements of that new alliegance to join up with the old. A sister can still be entirely culturally the same, but still put the needs of the Tower (or the BA, in Liandrin's case) first. I always took the "forsake all ties" to mean there was nothing left in the old you to prevent you from doing the work necessary for the Tower, not that you had to come up with a new hairstyle, speech pattern, or food preference.

Guest cwestervelt

Well, it's one thing to keep to the cultural norms you were raised with when they don't conflict with your new alliegance, but it's another to go running off against the needs and requirements of that new alliegance to join up with the old. A sister can still be entirely culturally the same, but still put the needs of the Tower (or the BA, in Liandrin's case) first. I always took the "forsake all ties" to mean there was nothing left in the old you to prevent you from doing the work necessary for the Tower, not that you had to come up with a new hairstyle, speech pattern, or food preference.

That is the White Tower's intent yes.  It has been noted that many, if not most, Aes Sedai harbor nationalistic feelings towards where they came from.

Keep in mind though, no group of Illianer Sisters marched off to take down Sammael when it was learned he ruled there.  And considering the arrogance of most Aes Sedei, I doubt they held off because they thought Sammael would be able to beat them down like insects. No, I think it has more to do with the fact that they place the goals of the White Tower ahead of whatever they might feel toward their homeland. So although an Aes Sedei might well have certain feelings about things happening to their old home, or involving it, I doubt they'd go running off to fight and forget about the Tower.

Keep in mind though, no group of Illianer Sisters marched off to take down Sammael when it was learned he ruled there.  And considering the arrogance of most Aes Sedei, I doubt they held off because they thought Sammael would be able to beat them down like insects. No, I think it has more to do with the fact that they place the goals of the White Tower ahead of whatever they might feel toward their homeland. So although an Aes Sedei might well have certain feelings about things happening to their old home, or involving it, I doubt they'd go running off to fight and forget about the Tower.

Who besides Moraine and Rand knew that Sammael was ruling Illian? Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne perhaps?

All of the Rebels were aware by book six, and many were looking to Rand to deal with the situation.

The idea that aes sedai have completely forsaken the lands of their birth is rather inadequate... the conversation with Min during LoC revels just how many Aes Sedai still look to the birthlands with a high amounts of loyalty, however they try to hide it.

I would suggest, however, that this doesn't hold with the Malkieri Aes Sedai. Those that had such nationilistic fervour got themselves killed soon after the fall of Malkier. So yeah...

Archived