DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Character Purposes

trakand01

OK so i know that the entire series is based on Norse mythology, and I know that each character has a part to play in TG but which bit of the jigsaw do you think each of them make up? I was reading the thread about 'A Bit Like a Family' and I thought you know, its true. Each group / team has people who are strong at some things and weak at others, but alltogether they complement each other.

I see the main characters as a team;

Rand

Mat

Perrin

Egwene

Nynaeve

Moiraine (regardless of her going through the door with Lanfear)

Lan

Elayne

Min

Aviendha

Verin

and they're all working towards the same thing (TG) but what is their role within the team? My initial thoughts are like this;

Rand - the keystone. He's the one they all need or everything will fall apart. If the story were a company, he'd be the CEO, with the Board being everyone that he has to please / compromise with along the way.

Mat - The begrudging ally. There's one in every team. They moan, they sulk, but eventually they do it, and when they do, they do it right. Normally end up doing it better than most people. Pretend to be non-plussed and lazy but in actual fact are somewhat of a perfectionist in getting things done, right.

Perrin - The dependable one. Knows his responsibilities, knows what he has to do and does it regardless of his own thoughts. Could be considered as somewhat of a pushover, but shouldnt be pushed too far - has an inner strength greater than that of some more outwardly confident people.

Egwene - Little miss priss. There's one in every group. She's a goody-two-shoes, but is very likeable. Rises above others quite quickly due to her intelligence and ability to DO things. Makes things happen. In times of need however she overcomes the chip on her shoulder to really pull through, carries the weight of others and doesnt complain.

Nynaeve - The maternal one. Again even at work there's always one. Always has painkillers in her bag, gives advice whether its required or not. Often comes across as aloof and over-mature but underneath it all is incredibly caring. Only wants the best for everyone and often ends up doing things she doesnt want to do, in order to make life easier / better for someone else.

Moiraine - The teacher and a little bit of the maternal one. Again every group has someone who is always on hand to offer an explanation, teach a principle or guide you in the right direction. Initial impressions are that she is detached, thinks a lot of herself but a growing fondness is inevitible (remember your teachers at school?!)

Lan - The father one. Tries to protect everyone at once, apart from himself. Remember when you were little and crossed a busy road, your father always put himself on the car-side so that if anything hit, it hit him first, not you? Can be quite arrogant but only through a desire to see everyone safe. naturally ties in with the maternal one. Again in the office this is the one who takes the rap for mistakes, regardless of fault.

Elayne - the surprise. Has reason to be over-aloof and look down her nose at everyone, but doesnt. Helps out wherever she can and is very intelligent. Whilst makes an excellent team with Little Miss Priss and they will inevitably have a good friendship, often comes to blows due to their similarities.

Min - The down to earth one. Every team has one - the one who laughs at all the lewd jokes, says the comments that no-one else dares say, and conducts her responsibilities because they need to be conducted. No airs or graces, intelligent but this is often overlooked - because of this not to be crossed.

Aviendha - The feisty one. Again there's one in every team. Argues about everything, disagrees with everything. Has an opinion on everything but somehow manages to make friends wherever she goes.

Am i completely off the mark? They're all strong at different things and complement each other perfectly for example;

Perrin is excellent at showing his affection for his wife, and taking advice, but is not a natural born killer. Very good at it, but doesnt like it.

LAN on the other hand had a sword in his hand whilst he was still in his blankets, but struggles to show his love for Nynaeve.

Rand has incredible amounts of pressure placed on him to do the right thing, save the world. Not very good at letting himself go, quite uptight but excellent at negotiation, fighting etc.

Min has very few responsibilities, very little direct pressure. Excellent at enjoying herself, keeps rand's feet on the ground and HELPS to keep him human.

Does anyone agree?

Guest cwestervelt

Min has very few responsibilities, very little direct pressure. Excellent at enjoying herself, keeps rand's feet on the ground and HELPS to keep him human.

That might end up being the most important, and most difficult assignment.

Archived