DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A quick question regarding verin in book2

Surreall

Hey people,

This has puzzled me for a while, and was hoping people could put some light into it.

After Rand and ingtar go after the horn, the sisters go cross country to the river for tar valon

Moraine and Verin leave at the same point, verin to find rand and co. and morraine to arafael.

Now when Verin catches up with Perrin and Ingtar, she says "Morraine sent me"

I am pretty damn sure that morraine says in arafael that she doesnt send verin? Am i wrong, cause if

i am not then this makes Verin a darkfriend, and i dont want her to be!!

Hi,

I agree, I seem to remember Moiraine saying that she did not send Verin, but I do not believe her to be a darkfriend. I think that perhaps the 'twist in the truth' is on Moiraine's side, rather than Verins. I cant remember the circumstances but I'm sure there's a logical explanation that several people will come and throw at me like very hard bricks.

Guest cwestervelt

This gets argued and debated regularly.  Later PoVs of Verin are quite conclusive that she is still bound by the 3 Oaths so she couldn't have been lying.  And we have plenty of evidence to indicate that Moiraine is not Black.  So where does that leave us?

Some argue that Verin never actually says when or where Moiraine sent Verin, and what Moiraine sent her to do.  They also bring in Verin's satisfied smile, as a mental pat on the back.  I see the smile more as Verin taking some pleasure in the implied rebuke Mat receives from Ingtar because of his disrespect.  Rand specifically accused Moiraine of sending When Moiraine denied sending Verin, she may have silently omitted ",to keep tabs on you."  After all, Rand was specific in stating a reason why Verin was sent.  He left her an opening and Moiraine decided to take it.  The truth an Aes Sedai tells you isn't always the truth you think you heard.

I don't think we can overlook Liandrin's presenc here either.  It wasn't that much later that we find out she is a Black Ajah.  In fact, we had indications of it already in Fal Dara with the way she dealth with Agelmar's wife.  She likely wanted to drive a wedge between Moiraine and Rand.  She could lie, cheat and steal, though at the time, everyone, Verin included, thought her bound by the normal three Oaths.  She could have "relayed" a message from Moiraine to Verin in the hopes of undermining what confidence and trust Rand had left.

My belief is that the comment was directly intended to cause a division between Rand and Moiraine for the purpose of stopping him from relying on Aes Sedai, who Verin holds to be imperfect. For full details read the 'Verin's 70 year plan' thread.

As to how she achieved it... i honestly don't know. There is definate evidence that Verin is bound by the oaths, and yet the comment seems to blunt to be a distortion of the truth.

Archived