DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So how do you think that cleansing Saidin will effect the ways?

dmanmiller34

That would be like having lung cancer disappear by quitting smoking.

I doubt it.

Anything is possible in the world of fantasy, but my gut tells me the Ways are gone forever.  The only hope is that they might be regrown some day (by the Ogier?).

No. No, no, no.

Rand is a living thing. Yet, per RJ, even with saidin cleansed, the person will have to deal with the madness already arisen, as it will not go away.

The ways stay infected, at least until they get cleansed by someone during the Fourth Age (unless the cleaning of the Ways is next on Rand's to-do list, though I doubt it :( ).

Someone had a question about Machin Shin in the Ways. Since it seems to absorb the creatures that pass through there. Could you regard them as a servant of the dark one or perhaps almost as a forsaken?

RJ: It’s not a servant of the Dark One. It will kill Trollocs or anything else. You can say its a parasite that grew in the Ways because of the Taint and the one power that was used to initially create the Ways. The talisman of growing that was used to extend the Ways.

So it’s not a servant of the Dark One, but it’s definitely on the evil side.

Would it be cleaned with the Cleansing of Saidin.

RJ: No. It’s like a bacteria breed. Just by cleaning up the chemicals that caused the bacteria to come into existence, unless it’s feeding on that, those chemicals, you are not going to destroy the bacteria. You simply cut off what helped to create it.

http://p079.ezboard.com/First-dragon-con-report/ftheorylandfrm30.showMessage?topicID=3.topic

It won't effect them since Saidin's taint isn't what caused the ways to go bad, the Aes Sedai just think that's the cause.

We haven't seen anything else made with Saidin go bad because of the taint. I think the Ways were a living thing corrupted by Mashadar that seeped into them through the Aridhol waygate. The fact that Fain managed to travel through ways, and Machin Shin left him alone because of the kinship it felt with him, strongly suggests this.

Guest cwestervelt

It won't effect them since Saidin's taint isn't what caused the ways to go bad, the Aes Sedai just think that's the cause.

We haven't seen anything else made with Saidin go bad because of the taint. I think the Ways were a living thing corrupted by Mashadar that seeped into them through the Aridhol waygate. The fact that Fain managed to travel through ways, and Machin Shin left him alone because of the kinship it felt with him, strongly suggests this.

Reread the quote Majsju posted.  Machin Shin is a result of the Ways being created with Tainted Saidin.  Other major works are exempt because they were done before Saidin was Tainted. 

Reread the quote Majsju posted.  Machin Shin is a result of the Ways being created with Tainted Saidin.  Other major works are exempt because they were done before Saidin was Tainted. 

To reread, I would have had to read it before. I stand corrected.

Archived