DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

advanced healing

Orange Fescue

The thread about taking Rand to TAR in the flesh to heal his hand got me thinking. Well, to be honest, I've been thinking for a while, I'm just finally seeing if anyone else agrees. Do you think Nynaeve is going to come up with a way to heal/regenerate amputated limbs or old scars? I wonder in part because one of the forsaken commented to herself in a PoV that whichever male forsaken had the large facial scar could have had it removed at any time but intended on keeping it until he beat LTT. That and I want Rand to have a "happily ever after" end to the series.

Agreed, especially since we already know Healing old scars is possible.  (Sammael kept the scar on his face deliberately, planning to have it removed once he beat Lews Therin.)

Despite the potential foreshadowing (where Nynaeve equates Healing a cut off hand to the Healing of stilling) I would be dissapointed if she really did grow Rand's hand back.  She seems sure she can't.

The obvious difference is that with Stilling, there is actually something to heal, a missing limb is simply not there anymore. It might have been a different matter if the hand had been cut off, so the healing had been  a matter of reattaching it to the stump. but Rands hand literally went up in smoke.

But then, it doesn't matter since Rand will soon be very, very dead ;D

Given the advanced understanding of genetics that existed in the age of legends, I'm pretty sure they would have been able to clone you a new hand back then. That kind of thing is only a few decades down the road for us, though in the Age of Legends they likely used some kind of ter'angreal.

The obvious difference is that with Stilling, there is actually something to heal, a missing limb is simply not there anymore. It might have been a different matter if the hand had been cut off, so the healing had been  a matter of reattaching it to the stump. but Rands hand literally went up in smoke.

But then, it doesn't matter since Rand will soon be very, very dead ;D

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought when Nyn healed stilling, she basically created a bridge where there was a cut over a hole that seemed to be able to take anything she channeled into it.  That is at least what happened in my imagination.  I always thought it was like a bridge over a river and the bridge could not be crossed because it was broken.  Nyn then patched the bridge with the power. 

So I thought there was something missing, but she bridged over it using the power. 

She thinks, "It was not really a hole, more a feeling that what seemed continuous was not, that what seemed smooth and straight was really skirting around an absence."  Then, she compares it to "the feel of something cut".  Then, further along (I'm skipping through her internal narrative here) she thinks "Something about that cut ... If it was bridged with Fire and Spirit, so ..."  (LoC ch 29)

And bingo.

The difference between that, and Healing Rand's hand (aside from the whole physical vs. soul damage) is that when Healing stilling, there are still two ends to "bridge" together.  If Rand's hand had simply been cut off, she might have been able to stick the hand back on.  But the hand is just gone.  There is a big difference betwenn "bridging a gap" between an arm and a hand (surgeons can reattach severed fingers, toes, etc), and growing Rand a brand new hand.

Which is precisely what Maj already said.

Archived