DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's up with Selucia

Jonn_2

Tuon's Shadow...We keep getting hints that there's something strange and...menacing about her. Thom apparently has seen what it is in the hell sequence, but we don't.

Tuon almost reigns her in when she approaches Mat with her bare hands open, as if Tuon were concerned that she might kill Mat.

What is the secret?

My guess is that she's a gholam.

Guest cwestervelt

If I remember right Selucia is Tuon's personal body guard. Let me get Winter's Heart to check for a minute....

I don't really think she is hiding anything. Our introduction to both her and Tuon in "What a Viel Hides" implies that she is a very protective and effective body guard. And not just of Tuon's physical well being, but of Tuon's dignity as well. It is also indicated that her being Tuon's body guard is not something that is advertised but is a secret itself.

If I remember right Selucia is Tuon's personal body guard. Let me get Winter's Heart to check for a minute....

I don't really think she is hiding anything. Our introduction to both her and Tuon in "What a Viel Hides" implies that she is a very protective and effective body guard. And not just of Tuon's physical well being' date=' but of Tuon's dignity as well. It is also indicated that her being Tuon's body guard is not something that is advertised but is a secret itself.[/quote']

I know she's her bodyguard, but we keep getting hints from Tuon's actions that Selucia is very dangerous. I'm wondering just how dangerous she really is. I know her cover is to appear to be very busty and pretty, if a bit cold. The scenes that interest me is whenever Selucia actually seems fearful is when she approaches someone with bare hands as if pleading with them to not make her do whatever she's about to do. It's Tuon who bails her out by commanding her to stand down.

In the hell sequence, Thom is injured slightly from the fight but he looks askance at Selucia as if she did much of the fighting. This shouldn't really phase Thom that much because he is good at reading things and it wouldn't surprise him if Selucia were simply very good at fighting. There was something more to his reaction though, as if he saw something that he knows he shouldn't speak about.

I think there is something more suprising about Selucia than simply being a bodyguard.

Guest Majsju

I'm quite certain it is as simple as Selucia being Tuon's bodyguard, and extremely skilled in some very effective martial arts. However, she is just supposed to be seen as Tuon's servant, who can do no such thing as fighting. If people knew about Selucia, the first thing they would do would be to take her out, and a dead bodyguard is a quite useless bodyguard.

Thom, being the very experienced and skilled person he is, realizes this, and flat out tells Selucia that "Your secret is safe with me".

I'm quite certain it is as simple as Selucia being Tuon's bodyguard' date=' and extremely skilled in some very effective martial arts. However, she is just supposed to be seen as Tuon's servant, who can do no such thing as fighting. If people knew about Selucia, the first thing they would do would be to take her out, and a dead bodyguard is a quite useless bodyguard.

Thom, being the very experienced and skilled person he is, realizes this, and flat out tells Selucia that "Your secret is safe with me".[/quote']

You have nailed it! Selucia simply is one of the baddest fighters anywhere! She has to be because she has trained her entire life to be the last line of defense for a person who may be Empress. Think about it! No one knows that she is anything other than a maid for Tuon, but she is quite capable of killing almost anyone with her bare hands, is my take on it.

• 2 months later...
I know she's her bodyguard' date=' but we keep getting hints from Tuon's actions that Selucia is very dangerous. I'm wondering just how dangerous she really is.[/quote']

It says in Winters Heart that the first 25 years of Selucias life were spent in training to be both a lady's maid and a bodyguard. If you had spent 25 years training in various forms of fighting, you'd be pretty dangerous as well.

I'm not certain. Sulin is a warrior, she's a bodyguard, its a different style of fighting. In many ways in duels bodyguards are the better player, and seanchan culture being what it is i suspect Selucia is something of an expert in martial arts.

Exactly. Battle is very different to one-on-one combat. However, don't forget that the Aiel have their own brand of martial arts that is pretty "effective" as well. Still, I think Selucia is probably one hell of a fighter. Surprised the more, um... enthusiastic ... Walkers in the Light haven't named her Darkfriend yet, although the evidence and clues all point to some other secret (since when has that deterred the Questioners at heart?). Is it up to me, then? :)

I still think Sulin would win. Selucia grew up being groomed for Seanchan court. Sulin had to train and practice to survive in the Three Fold Land. And Sulin has played bodyguard for Rand, and we have seen her in a one on one fight of honor, and she kicked Nadra's(?) a$$. She also been fighting for longer then Selucia, being that she's older.

And when channeling isn't an issue, I always choose the Aiel.

Selucia can't channel, and Selucia is not a darkfriend. There is nothing more to her than the fact that she is a crazy badass bodyguard/shadow for Tuon. The secret is just that nobody knows she is a bodyguard, except Tuon and obviously Thom after KoD. ("In my old age I see things that can't be" or whatever he says, I can't remember the exact wording).

Selucia was never a part of court. She was a maid, amongst other things, which would have been a part of her training. But dont underestimate that the rest of her training would have been very extensive. It was focused specifically on her purpose, whereas Sulin learnt as a warrior amongst other warriors. Her stint as Rands bodyguard didn't involve specific training.

the other possibility is that it was Tuon channeling that Thom was keeping secret. She was completely free of any scratches after all.

She was also being protected by three other people. Selucia would have been a human shield for her, because that was what she was born to do. Mat would because she was a woman. And Thom, well becuase he's Thom.

Guest Majsju

Mat would have jumped out of his clothes if he had felt anyone channeling around him where there shouldn't be anyone able to.

Besides we know that Tuon is herself a formidable hand to hand fighter. She's not a weakling so there would have been no cause for her to channel at that fight. Truth is Thom turned around to take out the other guys and was surprised to find them on the ground. It shocked him because he didnt expect that from Selucia. He likes to categorize people and figure them out. In this instance he was wrong.

Archived