DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A new addition to my family!

GrandpaG

I'm so excited!

For months now I've been drueling over the Peavey ValveKing tube amp.  I took both of my good electric guitars to the music store and tried them in the display models.  Both sounded good through the 2 - 12" speaker model and through the head with 4 - 12" speakers "half stack".  I had just about decided to keep saving cigarette money until I had the $1000 for the half stack.  Until this weekend.

The 212 amp usually runs just under $600 to just over that depending on the sale.  Then shipping kicks it up some more.  That's why I was thinking that the $1000 counting tax would be worth the wait.  Well, Saturday I stopped in to the music store and there it was.  One year old.  Some dirt and scratches.  A 212 for $475.  Tried it out.  Sound was perfect.  Dirt and scratches weren't that bad.  Told me I could have it for $450.  And a brand new $70 adjustable amp stand for $50.  $30 tax.  $4 fleece throw for a cover.  Only $20 cigarette money left.

That (plus some) will go when the foot switch comes in.

Why did I do it?  Why do some big boys buy motorcycles?  Or boats?  Or snowmobiles for crying out loud?  Fishing gear?  Deer rifles?  Shot guns?  Camo clothes?  Or high speed internet?  Playstation 3?  Big screen TV?  A pickup when you live in the suburbs?  An SUV when you live where it never snows?  I wanted it.  Didn't need it.  Could have gotten by without it.  But, I WANTED it!  And, I'm GLAD I spent the money!  Almost six months of not smoking...it was worth it.

My wife can't tell the difference between this amp and the little 1 -12" that I have been using.  I used to play it on volume setting 1 or 2 out of 10.  It made adequate noise.  It had some nice features.  It weighs about half as much as the 212.  I'll still use it if I have to play outside my room.  But, the 212 has..."character"...is the only word I can think of.  Richer, fuller, tone.  I set the volume just above zero and that's plenty.  OOOOOooo...and the DIRTY channel!!!!  That's downright EVIL!  icon_twisted.gif

As if that's not enough, the wife took me to WalMart from the music store and bought me a shiny new mountain bike so I can get some exercise!  Talk about a kid living out his fantasy!  And I didn't have to spend cigarette money for the bike.  Good weekend.  :)

I going to spend the $91 I got for my birthday on books.(In case somebody asks, I'm not 91 yrs old, I'm only 16.)

You are acting far too responsibly for someone your age.  You should throw caution to the wind and spend the entire amount on something unreasonable that your elders will totally object to...a wild hair style, maybe?  Enjoy the freedom while you can...shortly, a few years from now, you might have to get concurrence from your "better half" before you spend $91 on ANYTHING! (not trying to scare you...you get used to it with time...kinda like having scars from rolling through barbed wire)  Then, one day you'll be old and have to give up the small pleasures of life.  Don't forget to demand a monetary reward when that day comes.  Then, you can have the amp you want after only half a year or so of saving.  ;D

Congrats on your bundle of joy, Grampy. Now if only actual kids had volume controls too ...

And the $91 ... yeah, I can understand in theory how spending it on provoking parents would produce much gratification, but you can't beat a good book or six. I would have spent it the same  :P

Archived