DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is it just me...

trakand01

Or does Aviendha's refusal to let Rand touch her again annoy anyone else? He's obviously gagging for her, he cant stop looking at her, she flaunts herself infront of him (funny yes, if you're eventually going to give him what you're offering) and in the last few chapters there have been some very 'romantic' moments (I have read the series before, so know how this continues). For example when lifting her off his horse in Cairhein, when discovering that bale-firing Rahvin had erased Mat, Aviendha and Asmodean's death, and so on. But yet she refuses to let him near her other than aforesaid contact. It annoys me. I know she feels bad for Elayne, she feels she has 'toh to her, but still... I think her priorities are in the wrong order...

Am I being harsh?

Aviendha, at the time, already felt like she'd betrayed Elayne once, so why in the world would she sleep with Rand again? She doesn't see her behavior (like dressing in front of him) as flaunting, because the Aiel are used to seeing each other naked in non-sexual contexts.

Since the bonding, of course, I'm sure Aviendha realizes it's ok for them to sleep together again, but Rand left without seeing her, so that's hardly her fault.

Guest Fire Lord

I had never managed to understand Aviendha's behaviour as well, I honestly could not understand how she thought that he belonged to Elayne, it baffled me.

Now, behold, the answer is here (dramatic drums): she is a woman! That explains a lot, though I must confess I'm still in the dark as to the mechanism behind her reasoning.

I presume the ladies understood her better?

It's because she's a woman???!!!! Yes, why not throw in some gender stereotyping if you don't know the answer? That will really help answer trakand01's question (last sentence dripping with sarcasm...)

As Zardi said, it's because she's already got "toh" from the first time. Why would she then increase her "toh" by sleeping with him again? As she tells Elayne, she needs to discharge that obligation to her; once that's been done, then it's up to Elayne to decide if Aviendha and Rand can sleep together again. This is all to do with being Aiel - not with being a woman.

Hmph!

Basically it's this: she made a promise to Elayne to keep an eye on Rand, which due to the nature of their relationship, includes keeping other women away from him, and then she goes and breaks that promise by sleeping with him herself. Going against your word is a very big deal amongst honor-driven peoples like the Aiel, which was why she was so furious up to that point at seeing herself destined to do it. She screwed up big time because of her baser instincts and she's not about to risk doing it again until she can do it guilt-free. That's why she refused his touch after the fact. Though I'd like to know, if that's the case, where the anecdote came from that she shares with Elayne at the Kin farm about Rand liking nibble her neck/ears/something in that area, unless it were simply to gauge Elayne's response.

Oh, and *slaps RAW*

Hehehe ...

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the women in the crowd who made my point with casual violence.

Oh, and the nurse is down the hall, she'll see to your knuckles, ladies.

;D

(In all seriousness, though, why do women keep hitting a fella after they've seen all it will accomplish is hurting their hand?  I seriously don't know how many women have gotten mad at me because they hit me and it hurt them .... but its a fairly large number... )

She doesn't really like him.  She was directed to spy on him by her superiors (wise ones).  Just doing her job.  The bond helps.  HE chased HER through the gateway that she made while trying to get away...the snow was accidental, not planned.  She will definitely have his litter...Min said so and she's NEVER wrong about anything.  She's not already expecting, so they'll have to get together again.  She's Aiel.  She's a woman.  Yup.  That pretty well covers it.  Unless, you concider that she could be working for one of the Chosen?

HHHHhhMMMMmmmmm. :-\

Hehehe ...

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the women in the crowd who made my point with casual violence.

Oh, and the nurse is down the hall, she'll see to your knuckles, ladies.

;D

(In all seriousness, though, why do women keep hitting a fella after they've seen all it will accomplish is hurting their hand?  I seriously don't know how many women have gotten mad at me because they hit me and it hurt them .... but its a fairly large number... )

i would like it noted that i did not rise to the baited trap of RAW....

avienda....remember that avienda was a maiden of the spear, forced by the wise ones to go to rhuidean, become a wise one in training.she is resentful of this.also, she had of course, visited the circles in rhuidean and recieved some sort of vision concerning rand. rand really symbolises an end to her freedom (as she sees it) to her, and she is very young, it may seem that all her choices have been made for her.she falls in love with the man she professes to hate (like that never happened before) a man chosen by another woman that avienda conciders a friend. who is she likely to take it out on?

Archived