DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Crown of Swords - Taim's Motives?

The Lost One

Again, I am doing a reread of the series and I am trying to figure out things I missed.

At the beginning of A Crown of Swords Taim keeps trying to insist that Rand keep some Asha'man (sp?) with him.  He would like to pick out the ones to leave with Rand.  Rand finally agrees on keeping one, but Taim is surprised and frustrated (I think) on who he picks (Dashiva). 

Why is Taim trying to leave certain ones with Rand?  to spy on him? or for other purposes?  Does anyone have any idea what Taim's goals for this are at this time?  Does Taim know who Dashiva is?

Please let me know your thoughts - don't worry about spoilers, I have read the entire series.  Thanks!

Well, it's generally agreed that Taim is a Darkfriend - probably a Dreadlord by now too. Taim has his own cronies (those who tried to kill Rand), so obviously he would prefer those to be around Rand as they can report back to him, and perhaps even kill him straight away. Dashiva is one of his cronies. However, from his reaction, and the fact that the Forsaken like to keep their identities secret, even from Darkfriends, it is unlikely that he knew who Dashiva really was. Dashiva was half mad, so perhaps Taim was disappointed because he didn't think Dashiva was up to spying on Rand - one of the others would have been preferable.

Whether Taim knew Osan'gar's true identity and status or not, I'm willing to bet that he was there as Taim's high-ranking contact, in much the same way as Aran'gar has been for Delana. He needed him close by, and not off swanning around with Rand.

it is far more likely that aginor was whispering in taim's ear than the other way around. i dont think it is likely that aginor "reported" to anyone but moridan at the time. now, what taim may have though might be a different story....

Osan'gar (Dashiva) may well have been sent to the Black Tower to continue Taim's education.  Taim wanted Rand to keep several of his cronies with him so he could keep tabs on Rand ... but obviously would have been surprised when Rand picked out Taim's Forsaken teacher (or at least, contact).  Naturally he had to wonder if Rand knew what was going on and picked Osan'gar on purpose, or if ta'veren merely struck again.  Obviously, we know it was just ta'veren-ness.

Taim's shock, however, is one indication that he (Taim) knew Dashiva's real identity.  If he didn't, his reaction would have been either irritation (that Rand didn't pick one of his cronies) or ambivalence.

I don't think Taim knew Dashiva's real identity or else he would have shown a lot more deference to him. Instead we see Taim looking at him in a very disrepectful and derisive way. No matter what status Taim thinks he had (especially at the time of Dumai Wells), he was still far below a Forsaken from the Age of Legends.

I think he saw Dashiva as a commoner who was slightly mad and who tries to rise above his station. Not as a rival.

Knowing what I know about Taim, I would think he would have been more likely to try to kill Dashiva if he knew who he was to try to move up in the status. That was how the Darkside progresses.

I don't think Taim knew Dashiva's real identity or else he would have shown a lot more deference to him.

Yeah ... except that Dashiva is supposed to be undercover.  ::)

Taim is ambitious, not stupid.  He's not going to be overbearing and dismissive to all the Asha'man except Dashiva, that would be like holding up a sign and saying "LOOK AT THIS GUY HE'S DIFFERENT!"  He already knows Rand expects one of the Forsaken to try to infiltrate the Asha'man ... its one of the first things Rand told him to look out for.

Archived