DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Cancellation of Wheel Of Time need your support.

On 9/16/2024 at 10:06 AM, WheelofJuke said:

I haven't watched or kept tabs on the development or release of the LOTR scamazon series, but I read an articles that made it sound like it suffered from many of the issues plaguing WoT

Abandoning/altering source material being foremost. 

I don't think WoT's complete fail as a tv show has anything to do with the source material, I think it has to do with scamazon attempting to "buy" their way into a genre they have no actual love for; they're just a faceless corporation that wants to buy up IP rights to your favorite fantasy properties. 

Anyone who is competent at running a tv show should have been able to whittle the wealth of source material down, without feeling a need to add to it. 

It's 100% a botch job. No possible way the series is completed, just a reality check for anyone still clinging to the fantasy that this adaptation is a success. 

And that DOES NOT in ANY WAY preclude WOT from being picked up and adapted (hopefully more successfully) in the future. 

That’s only partly true.

They got LotR and WoT because Bezos is a massive Fantasy fan, especially LotR. But he left after buying the rights, so I doubt he influences them in any way.

he is a very avid reader, he did get started selling books online.

On 9/16/2024 at 3:31 AM, Frykka said:

Because you will NEVER get a remake that is better if you don't show support.  The 1980s Dune movie was ok, it got a new update because we all watched the old one a hundred times.

This is funny because Dune received 2 Syfy mini-series (Dune, Children of Dune) in the early 2000s and still had new movies made. The 80s Dune also became a cult classic with nerds from the 80s and 90s.

Of course, Dune, the book and series, has continued to remain popular with Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson making new content.

The current WoT show has zero bearing on whether we get future content. In fact, it is a great manual for what not to do for any future film or show.

The current show was also made in an environment that has cost Hollywood billions of dollars by alienating audiences. 

I am not going to support the show. I will not watch it and if people ask me about it, then I will refuse to recommend it. It is fine if you love it and I am happy for those few who really enjoy it and found something that they like. Your taste is not my taste even if we share a love of the books.

I love the books. I find the current interpretation by Amazon to be awful. They obviously refused to course correct and even refused to listen to people like Sanderson (who is far more popular and successful than they).

My only power is to not support them and I intend to wield it.

On 9/16/2024 at 8:06 AM, WheelofJuke said:

I haven't watched or kept tabs on the development or release of the LOTR scamazon series, but I read an articles that made it sound like it suffered from many of the issues plaguing WoT

Abandoning/altering source material being foremost. 

I don't think WoT's complete fail as a tv show has anything to do with the source material, I think it has to do with scamazon attempting to "buy" their way into a genre they have no actual love for; they're just a faceless corporation that wants to buy up IP rights to your favorite fantasy properties. 

Anyone who is competent at running a tv show should have been able to whittle the wealth of source material down, without feeling a need to add to it. 

It's 100% a botch job. No possible way the series is completed, just a reality check for anyone still clinging to the fantasy that this adaptation is a success. 

And that DOES NOT in ANY WAY preclude WOT from being picked up and adapted (hopefully more successfully) in the future. 

Rings of power had the opposite problem; they were forbidden to use a lot of the source material and anything from the movies by the Tolkien estate.  They developed the story by bridging Second Age references in the appendices with original material, in consultation with the estate and Tolkien lore experts.   They had to make a lot of stuff up and the Tolkien estate had to approve it.

8 hours ago, Sabio said:

Rings of power had the opposite problem; they were forbidden to use a lot of the source material and anything from the movies by the Tolkien estate.  They developed the story by bridging Second Age references in the appendices with original material, in consultation with the estate and Tolkien lore experts.   They had to make a lot of stuff up and the Tolkien estate had to approve it.

Seemed a bad deal from Amazon's side from the start.  All the money they spent with onerous restrictions seemed like a very one-sided deal.  Might as well make up your own fantasy story and spend the money on writers and production rather than on painfully restrictive rights.