DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Cancellation of Wheel Of Time need your support.

I am calling all The Wheel of Time fans whether you are just fans of the books or fans of the TV show when season 3 comes out next year we really have to watch the tv show and keep the viewing figures up or we will not get a 4th season, I KNOW fans of the books don’t really like the Tv show but if its cancelled you won’t get a better version of this story further down the line other companies won’t do it.  It’s the only Wheel of Time you are going to get so make the most of it and support the programme or you won’t have any season 4, they will cancel it.

I know we do need longer episodes and more of them instead of 8 we could do with 12 and the wait 2 years in between doesn’t help the show because the fans forget about it.

So when season 3 comes out please watch it and support the programme we need to keep the viewing figures up.

we can bombard Twitter with pleas for longer and more episodes and less time apart would be beneficial.

Edited by denise_42

• denise_42 changed the title to The Cancellation of Wheel Of Time need your support.

I tried watching Season 2 with a clean slate and not comparing it to the books.  I found that I just wasn't interested.  I didn't care about the characters and wasn't curious about what was going to happen next.  I never explicitly decided that I wasn't going to watch it, but just never felt motivated to finish it.  Maybe I'll eventually watch it, but the prospect of a show that I don't actively want to watch being cancelled is not going to motivate me to watch it.  

i believe they are going to cancel the show after season 3 regardless.

too much time. too little hype.

they can't possibly hope to finish the whole series in 8 season by making one every 2 years.

maybe if season 3 does well they will try to finish with the 4th season. i don't want to know what they will have to cut in that case.

but wot reaching its natural end? extremely unlikely at this point.

19 hours ago, denise_42 said:

I am calling all The Wheel of Time fans whether you are just fans of the books or fans of the TV show when season 3 comes out next year we really have to watch the tv show and keep the viewing figures up or we will not get a 4th season, I KNOW fans of the books don’t really like the Tv show but if its cancelled you won’t get a better version of this story further down the line other companies won’t do it.  It’s the only Wheel of Time you are going to get so make the most of it and support the programme or you won’t have any season 4, they will cancel it.

I know we do need longer episodes and more of them instead of 8 we could do with 12 and the wait 2 years in between doesn’t help the show because the fans forget about it.

So when season 3 comes out please watch it and support the programme we need to keep the viewing figures up.

we can bombard Twitter with pleas for longer and more episodes and less time apart would be beneficial.

I feel the opposite the sooner that they get this terrible show cancelled the greater the chance that someone with true skill and a desire to bring the books to life on the screen could emerge. The longer this lame duck drags on the smaller the chance.

This show is not better than nothing at all, nothing would have been far preferable.

I think we will get a season 4 but it will be a wrap up season. Possibly even only 5 or 6 episodes.

6 hours ago, Mailman said:

I feel the opposite the sooner that they get this terrible show cancelled the greater the chance that someone with true skill and a desire to bring the books to life on the screen could emerge. The longer this lame duck drags on the smaller the chance.

the more time passes from the end of the books, the less people will be interested. the best time to start a tv show is when the book fandom is going strong, as shown by got.

so no, i do not think we will ever get another shot at a wot show for several decades.

in several decades, i fully expect that the ai will have become so good, you could just give it the books, and it will produce a tv show without any human involvment. then it will cost a pittance to produce wottv, and someone will do it. even just a random fan on the internet.

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

the more time passes from the end of the books, the less people will be interested. the best time to start a tv show is when the book fandom is going strong, as shown by got.

so no, i do not think we will ever get another shot at a wot show for several decades.

in several decades, i fully expect that the ai will have become so good, you could just give it the books, and it will produce a tv show without any human involvment. then it will cost a pittance to produce wottv, and someone will do it. even just a random fan on the internet.

In fairness, there are lots of counterexamples of old books getting adapted to the screen with great success.  

4 hours ago, Samt said:

In fairness, there are lots of counterexamples of old books getting adapted to the screen with great success.  

yes, cult classics.
is wot enough of a cult classic? is it widely known as much as dune?

frankly, i don't know. everyone in my circle knows wot because i talked of it, which invalidates the sample.

10 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

yes, cult classics.

frankly, i don't know. everyone in my circle knows wot because i talked of it, which invalidates the sample.

I suppose there is no way of knowing how popular WoT will remain as time passes.  Successful fantasy adaptations like LOTR, Dune, Alice in Wonderland, and the Wizard of Oz generally build interest in the books rather than relying on interest in the books.  

On 7/30/2024 at 6:28 AM, denise_42 said:

I KNOW fans of the books don’t really like the Tv show but if its cancelled you won’t get a better version of this story further down the line other companies won’t do it.  It’s the only Wheel of Time you are going to get so make the most of it and support the programme or you won’t have any season 4, they will cancel it.

All good, more time to read...

True to the memory of Jordan's release of this great series, we have to wait years for the next release. As someone who read the entire series as each book was released this waiting does bring back the fond memories. I hope that each book is made into a series but will settle for what is given. I did hear a rumor that a animated series of each book and each chapter in them being done. I am not much for animated films but the idea of the whole series being done exactly as Jordan wrote them does please me. May the Light make it so.

Way too long between seasons, really kills any momentum and people start to forget about it.   2 years between season, you're looking at 12 years if the show would run 6 seasons.  I will watch season 3 but I won't do anything to keep numbers up simply to keep it on.  I really can't see it going past season 4.

Edited by Sabio

12 hours ago, LambellaJules said:

I’d like to see a decent adaptation of the Terry Brookes or Terry Goodkind books. Why do these telly execs take fantastic books then change the storylines? Grrr.

I have a complicated relationship with Goodkind i enjoyed the books initially when i was younger but the fact that he is a Ayn Rand devotee has coloured my re reading of the books as i have got older. Saying that the TV show was utter garbage. 

I never read the books but like this type of film so really thought it was gonna be good. Unfortunately it just never hooked me, I figured I would watch season 2 thinking it would get better but feel it got worse! I will watch season three just because good shows are hard to find but I’m not getting my hopes up and fear it will end after that… 

Reading the books is a long  commitment , but well worth it. So much better than the show. Still watching the show but they could have done better. I have no problems with shows changing from the books to make it work for a movie or tv show, but they seems to add things that didn't add anything to the story. My main issue with the show, besides some bad special affects is the lack of proper growth of the main characters. For me the main point of the books was none of them could win the fight without working together. In the books you could see how the characters learn this lesson, hopefully season three will get back on track to the main story of the book. 

8 hours ago, BookMattBetterThanShow said:

My main issue with the show is the lack of proper growth of the main characters

that's one of the major problem when adapting a book for a movie. Proper character growth, to be believable, needs to happen slowly and gradually. which requires time, which tv doesn't have.

On 7/31/2024 at 5:05 PM, king of nowhere said:

yes, cult classics.

To answer this question:

Dune has sold ~20 million copies.  The Wheel of Time has sold over 100 million copies.  Yes, it's much more known than Dune.  

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

that's one of the major problem when adapting a book for a movie. Proper character growth, to be believable, needs to happen slowly and gradually. which requires time, which tv doesn't have.

Highly disagree about the end of your sentence.  The TV show has eight to ten hours per season, times maybe eight seasons.  The entire LOTR trilogy is ten hours.  If the characters can't be developed in eight times the length of the LOTR trilogy, the same length of time as 40+ movies stacked together, that is damning evidence against the competence of the writers of the show.  

6 hours ago, Darthe said:

The TV show has eight to ten hours per season, times maybe eight seasons

the episodes are 50 minutes once you remove the intro, and the show is likely going to be canceled after the third season.

regardless, a page of conversation takes several minutes on the screen. a page of worldbuilding explanation would take many many minutes on screen. even under your very optimistic assumptions, every page of the book would have to translate to 20 seconds on tv.

and you have to fill half that time with battles anyway.

it's just not a good medium to have people talking.

this is not a defence of wottv. i'm not a big expert on shows, but i don't recall ever seeing charcter development done well.

Edited by king of nowhere

13 hours ago, Darthe said:

Highly disagree about the end of your sentence.  The TV show has eight to ten hours per season, times maybe eight seasons.  The entire LOTR trilogy is ten hours.  If the characters can't be developed in eight times the length of the LOTR trilogy, the same length of time as 40+ movies stacked together, that is damning evidence against the competence of the writers of the show.  

6 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

the episodes are 50 minutes once you remove the intro, and the show is likely going to be canceled after the third season.

regardless, a page of conversation takes several minutes on the screen. a page of worldbuilding explanation would take many many minutes on screen. even under your very optimistic assumptions, every page of the book would have to translate to 20 seconds on tv.

and you have to fill half that time with battles anyway.

it's just not a good medium to have people talking.

this is not a defence of wottv. i'm not a big expert on shows, but i don't recall ever seeing charcter development done well.

I think LOTR is a great example.  The LOTR trilogy has roughly the same screen time as the first season of WOT (and significantly less screen time than the first two seasons put together).  Yet by the end of LOTR, you feel like you know, like, and empathize with the main characters.  WOT characters remain poorly developed after two seasons.  

On 8/8/2024 at 3:59 AM, Mailman said:

I have a complicated relationship with Goodkind i enjoyed the books initially when i was younger but the fact that he is a Ayn Rand devotee has coloured my re reading of the books as i have got older. Saying that the TV show was utter garbage. 

Goodkind "borrowed"  So much from the WOT and RJ.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 2:04 PM, Samt said:

I tried watching Season 2 with a clean slate and not comparing it to the books.  I found that I just wasn't interested.  I didn't care about the characters and wasn't curious about what was going to happen next.  I never explicitly decided that I wasn't going to watch it, but just never felt motivated to finish it.  Maybe I'll eventually watch it, but the prospect of a show that I don't actively want to watch being cancelled is not going to motivate me to watch it.  

Not even Moghedien?  Don't want to see the Aeil in their full numbers?  C'mon man!  We need to get at least through to Callendor and the Car-a carn.