DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mysterious #3, Rand's dizziness, and the Rescuer

Pe Ell

In Winter's Heart, chapter 22 "Out of Thin Air" there is a part near the beginning where Lews Therin Telamon is speaking in Rand's head.  He says: "You destroyed them already.  Now you have someone else to destroy, and not beforetime.  How many will we three kill before the end, I wonder."  Lews Therin and Rand are obviously 2.  Who is the third?  Or is LTT so crazy he just can't count?

Also in Winter's Heart, lately when Rand siezes or releases the Souce he gets dizzy, but has also been seeing a mysterious face flash across his field of vision.  Who is that face?  Is this anything like Perrin and Mat seeing waves of colors at the thought of Rand?

Finally, in Crown of Swords, during the battle with Sammael Rand meets a male channeler in Shadar Logoth.  Who is he and why did he help Rand?

*I do not mind spoilers.  If you want to keep this thread safe for those that do, please PM me.  These questions are irritating the **** out of me!

The answers to all three of your questions are one and the same.

Moridin.

In A Crown of Swords, the Wanderer who helped Rand out of the pit (a bit of odd symbolism there) is none other than Moridin.  His motives are the subject of some speculation.  It seems obvious that he stands to gain something more by manipulating than he can gain by killing him outright; what that is and why is not totally clear.  (See his musings on the Fisher in TPoD, prologue)

After Moridin and Rand both weave balefire (Rand from the One Power, and Moridin from the True Power) and their streams of balefire touch, a link is formed between them.  Whether this is a function of balefiring balefire, or of the One Power touching the True Power, or a combination of the two, is unknown to me.  However, when either Rand or Moridin seizes saidin now, he experiences both nausea, and an awareness of the other.  Rand, of course, does not know who he is sensing.  Moridin is no doubt aware of Rand's identity.  The phenomenon is first noticed by Rand in TPoD, ch 13, which is the first POV we have of him after the incidents at Shadar Logoth.  The link has been increasing in strength, which has given rise to the bodyswap theory.

By Winter's Heart, chapter 22, the link is strong enough that Lews Therin is aware of it.  The three in "we three" are Rand, Lews Therin, and Moridin (although Lews Therin is not aware of the third person's identity either; Moridin does not look the same as Ishamael).

Wait I thought Moridin was the presence in the city  ???  Or was I mistaken? I'm up to book 11 now, just finished the prologue on that, and I still get confused on all the names/reincarnations......

Moridin has plenty to gain in aiding Rand, though he is the Nae'blis, he holds the position in leu of Rand, keeping Rand alive makes several things true, Rand kills more competitors and besides a direct confrontation with the Dragon is his doom, fate has spelled it out once already, when he crosses the dragon that is when the Dragon is destined to claim Nae'blis by killing him and taking the position, that is how the dark one wants it.  hence the longer he puts this off the longer he has to think of a way out of it.

Archived