DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Flavour of Rejection (attn: Sahra)

Arette

Leawen was resting in the shadows cast by one of the oaks growing in the yards. The grass had gone yellow some time ago with the sky not giving any rain for a few weeks. It was a hot, dusty day and nearly no wind was stirring. The dust came from the trainees practicing, and they did so even now, around lunchtime, when the sun stood up high. It did not get as hot here as he was used to from Altara, but it was enough heat to make him shake his head watching them fool exhaust themselves. And for what? To become an Aes Sedai slave a day or so sooner. No, he was in no rush. Humming a tune he did not dare to sing loud in Tar Valon, he continued to slowly work on sharpening his blade. It did not see much action, but it was not a good idea to be caught slacking, so that blade saw regular maintenance.

Glancing along it’s cutting edge, Leawen suddenly noticed a red headed girl he had not seen before in the yards. She did not make the impression of being new here. It was probably more likely that she had arrived in the months while he had been out and away with his mentor. Frowning he wondered what it was with these women. He really could not understand them. They had the choice between looking pretty and living an easy life and enduring hardship, and the decided to go for the hard route. It had to be so easy for a woman to make a man fulfil any of her dreams. In his experience all it took a woman was a flutter of her eyes. But not, they wanted to get dirty and sweaty. Why? Especially that redhead had the kind of body to make a man go wild. And while she was kind of tall, probably his height, she appeared to be well proportioned. Still, he was certain she would look prettier in a skirt then these breeches most female trainees wore in the yards.

A bell chiming announced the lunch break, and while all other trainees dropped their latches and went for the dining halls, the red head and another trainee girl did not stop. That was another thing he did not understand. Did these women think by training harder they could eventually master a man? He almost pitied them. Leawen had been beaten several times in combat by women, and yet his mind had odd reasons why he had lost, and those reasons had nothing to do with his opponent’s strength or skill.

Setting his blade aside he focussed on the pair. They had begun to combat each other in a training’s spar. He could not help but grin. There was something about girls battling that look funny. Maybe it was just the fact that they were protective of different regions then men, or the difference in their anatomy, in any case, it was amusing to watch. At least it was a neat fight. Blows were exchanging quickly. Latches clashed noisily.

Then it happened. Latches could be quite painful if they smashed against bare skin. A blow delivered with them could be enough to take a man off his feet or break bones if the angle was unlucky. It certainly took the red haired girl off her feet when her friend hit her much lower down then the other had anticipated. She had been just the fraction of a moment to slow, her defence had just been slightly too high. Stumbling, her arms were still holding onto the latches, she crashed down on some low wall she had come too close to. Even where Leawen sat he could hear her ribs brake when her torso hit the stone edge.

He had jumped up and was running to the pair before he realised he had even moved. The other girl was completely surprised and stood there in utter shock. Probably this was the first time she had injured someone and she had not intended it. Roaring, he took charge: “Get a yellow sister. Now! Run!” The girl raced off while he kneeled down next to the red haired young woman. Gently he helped her into a somewhat comfortable position and then even took his shirt off quickly so that she could rest her head on it. To his surprise she did not cry. Probably that was due to the shock.

There was blood seeping from where one of the broken ribs had punctured her skin. “That was bad luck if I have ever seen bad luck.” Leawen’s low voice mumbled and before he thought about what he was doing his hand had come to her hip and started to shift her shirt up. It was only when her belly button and hips came into sight that he remembered. To see the injury, he would not have to pull her cloths up much higher, and while the tricky parts like her body such as her bosom would stay hidden, some girls were very protective of their features. He had no interest in her calling the master afterwards and claim he had taken advantage.

“Not that I can do much, but can I take a look at your side? Maybe I can slow the bleeding or something.” The girl had gone pale, but still, she did not sob.

OOC: My apologies for the long wait. I will be faster in the future.

IC:

The whole world was comprised into the blinding agony in Sahra's side and she was spending her all willpower to stay conscious. She was faintly aware of the unknown man arriving and putting something under her head. He begun to lift her skirt and pressed something against her side. She cried out hoarsely and beads of cold sweat popped all over her face. She would have been thankful if she had gone under but after a moment the red haze parted and she could see the man hovering worried over her. She took his hand and squeezed it painfully and time seemed to crawl until her sparring partner Farah returned with a Yellow Sister in tow. Sahra recognized the woman and she would have groaned if it wouldn't have hurt too much. She was going to be lectured since this very same Aes Sedai had Healed her but few weeks ago. And neither times had been her fault but still many of the Yellows treated the Trainees like they had personally inflicted all damage on themselves.

Nyleen Sedai commanded Farah and the man to grab her hands and feet and hold her down and without further ados she laid the weave on her. Farah who held her hands had been unprepared to how violently Sahra arched up and lost her hold. Her skirt hitched up to her throat and exposed her well-formed breasts escaping from the bandages she used to tie them during training. Leawin also had a good view to her flesh and bones knitting together miraculously as the Yellow worked her Healing.

The bone seeping chill finally released Sahra and left her disoriented. The other trainee was white as a sheat and just sat there shivering so in the end Sahra herself pulled her shirt down. Nyleen Sedai took a charge. "You boy, take this child to the mess hall for a good lunch. She will be rapacious as a wolf after the Healing. You can both continue training once that is done. And girl, we don't want to see your face in the Infirmary in months." With that she dragged Farah away likely to drink some vile tasting potion and left the two of them to their own devices.

Sahra regarded the young man with a thoughtful frown and finally extended her hand. "I'm Sahra Covenry and I've been here for a while but I don't think that we have ever met before. Thank you for your quick reactions. Poor Farah might have otherwise stood there fixed for the rest of the day. She is quite fresh to the gauntlet."

Sahra Covenry

Tower Trainee

Mentee to Sana

For once, Leawen had not been consumed with side thoughts seeing the woman in pain. But as she shook with the effects of healing and as her garments shifted and two deliciously shaped parts of her body came into sight, globes girls usually kept hidden like some treasure, he knew his strains had been worth the effort. 

Pleased and grinning slightly too broad for a normal introduction, Leawen’s eyes were torn between considering her face as she talked and as politeness required, and watching her as she rearrange her garments. A woman getting dressed could be a pleasing sight as one undressing.

Leawen took the hand and shook it, but then brought the knuckles to his forehead, a greeting he considered to be from the borderlands and that he sometimes used for no particular reason at all.

“I am Leawen. And being close to a girl with your looks is the greatest thanks a man like me can receive.” For the hint of a second his eyes darted again from her face to the now well hidden curve of her bosom before his eyes were shooting back up. “A woman with a face like your and eyes as lovely, should have a dozen men at her hands to fight for her honour and not need to practice with weapons herself, if you want my thoughts. But on the other hand, I find your endeavour honourable. I admire women that know to fight for themselves.” The words left his lips smoothly. His low voice never wavered, not when he was telling the truth, in case of her looks, or when he lied. And his statement about women knowing to fight was a lie, had there ever been one. 

He did not mind a woman being a little aggressive when he tumbled with her under some sheets, but a woman holding a weapon, like the mockery of an able bodied man? Where would this lead? Armies composed of bloody women fighting for the control of the world? In his mind, the fact that all Aes Sedai were female balanced the fact that men knew to wield weapons. “As you may have guessed, I am Altaran and in my home country women are known to be fierce. In fact all carry knifes or daggers and know to use weapons.” He avoided to add that they hardly would get the idea to wield swords though.

Gesturing inside the dining halls he asked: "So Sahra, where are you from and what brought you to Tar Valon?"

Ha, he is a Borderlander, Sahra thought as the man gave her a greeting by touching his knuckles to his forehead. It changed into 'oh, another one of these' with his flattery. She accepted it with a gracious nod that turned into a frown when he suggested that it wasn't appropriate for women to wield weapons. He managed to redeem himself quickly and surely he wouldn't be staying in the Yards if he really belived so. But alas, he continued and she arched her eyebrows surprised. No, she really had not guessed that he was Altaran. Their women were fierce indeed so you would have thought him to have learned to be careful about voicing ideas that they should stay home like dainty damsels and wait for a strong man to attend them for their protection. Maybe that was exactly why he had left.

Following his gestures she begun to make her way to the dining halls and she definately could feel the effects of the Healing. She was ravenous enough that she could eat a double ratio. "I am born and bred Tar Valoner so I've lived and stayed here all my life. But if you mean why I came to the Yards, it is because I want to help to make some difference in the world be it fighting the Shadow or bringing peace with the sword. Having lived all my life in the home city of the Aes Sedai, it was pretty natural to see that serving the White Tower was the way."

"How about you, Leawen? What made you to leave the fierce women of Altara and come all the way up north?"

Sahra Covenry

Tower Trainee

Mentee of Ursana Sahn Takr

Fighting the shadow? Bringing piece with the sword? Young girls like her were so easily fooled by Aes Sedai. Another reason for Leawen to affirm his believe that girls had certain uses and were ill placed elsewhere. A few years back he would have been irritated to hear such a question from a woman, but in the mean time he had come up with various tales about his past and no matter what the question would be, he normally was able to answer. Besides, he had prompted that very questions himself by asking her about the very same thing.

Growing up in the Rahad, Leawen had been forced to rely for many years on lies to survive until he was strong enough to fight back. And in the Rahad, without parents or older brothers to look after you, you had to lie well to not end up with a slit throat in a narrow alley.

“I was a queen’s guard in Ebou Dar. And you are right about Ebou Dari women having quite a temper. See these?” Bending forward he pointed at two fading scars decorating his cheeks. “These and other scars are from the one woman I have truly loved. Whenever she thought my kissing lacked passion she used her knife to make me feel it. She was quite a woman. And trust me, her expectations were quite high. I have not been kissing since the weave cut her thread, but some woman claimed they had not thought kisses like that possible.” Lies blended well with truth and coming from his mouth it was hard to divide them apart. Leawen had even come to believe some of his own lies were true.  “But that is not what made me leave my beloved home. We wanted to marry. We wanted to have children. I used to take her out in the country, away of the milling city, so that we were alone. Just her and me. Well, that was a mistake.”

The memory of what really had happened was still strong enough in him to make his voice slightly quiver with emotion, no matter how often he had abused the real events already. “Robbers came. They overwhelmed me and did horrid things to her, before they killed her right before my eyes. They wanted to kill me too, but I managed to escape, and later I hunted them down one by one. The last one was hardest to get. He had run all the way to Tar Valon. And when I had my revenge, when I had avenged her, I did not know what to do. But the thought of returning home, the place where everything would remind me of her, was too much to bear. Then I heard the glorious white tower was looking for men to train as warders, and that sounded like an honourable thing to do. So, I am here.”

His backside! But hey, even to his ears this tale sounded pretty. Maybe one day he could turn this into a little tune. 

Suddenly bending forward he used the excuse of a little crumb sticking to her cheek to bring his finger to her face. Well, not just one finger really. Two held on tenderly to her jaw while his thumb carefully wiped the tiny piece of bread away. Her skin was just as smooth as he had imagined it. He imagined silk to feel like that.

Before she could say a thing he settled back into his chair opposite to her. “Would a fierce woman like you dance with me if I took her to some tavern or would you prefer to dance with drawn blades here in the warder’s yard?”

Leawen's description of his beloved was quite astonishing but Sahra had heard that that was how it really in Altara. A woman could kill a man simply because he displeased her. That was going a tad too far in her opinion and had caused many chains of vendetta but still it was pretty impressive. She definately would have liked to meet his woman. They had gotten their trays and food and taken seats while continued his story. She did her best to listen attentively but she was so hungry that she had to get some food in her belly even though it wasn't very polite.

When he got to the part of her horrible fate, she dropped the delicious roll she had been biting and was the epitome of sympathy. Light, she had never heard as gruesome story in her life and the poor man was telling it so stoically with only a slightest quiver in his voice. How he must have suffered. Sahra reached her hand over to lay it over his and squeezed it reassuringly. She had to blink a few times to keep her eyes from misting. It was so romantic and sad that he had stayed loyal to her and hadn't even kissed another woman since her death. To her great shame she had a weakness for stories and they touched her far more deeply than she would have liked to.

She smiled at him tenderly when he removed a crumb off the corner of her mouth even as he pulled back again. Growing serious again, she said "I am so sorry for your loss. Nothing in the world can replace her but time is a great healer." They were silent for a moment before she continued. "As for you offer, I'll gladly accept it, both of them. I love dancing and I would gladly join your company anytime. If you're up for a spar, that is welcome too." His step was so light that he had to be good on the dance floor. Just like Fior and Sana, even though she and Sana had danced together since the unfortune night she had met the sweet Dilora. How glad she was that everything had worked out and she and Fior were happy together. And her Dilly was in town too, she had gotten the message. She didn't realise that she regarded him with her lips parted on a dreamy smile that could be taken as a flirt.

Snapping back to reality, she shook her head ruefully. "But I doubt that my mentor will approve me going to dance now. The next free day maybe? That doesn't mean that we can't do something else together, though." She had just the thing in mind, she thought with a promising grin. She was certain that he would enjoy what she had in mind. "There are few hours of free time every evening and a friend of mine is visiting Tar Valon. I'm sure that you would enjoy meeting her too. Peddler extraordinaire Dilora Fashelle is one of the most fascinating people in the world I know."

Sahra Covenry

Tower Trainee

For the fraction of a moment Leawen felt sorry for this girl. Maybe she was just pretending. But he doubted that. It seemed she was accepting his lies readily. What would she say if she was to find out the girl he had loved had been killed by queen’s guards? What if she found out he had been an outlaw and not an honoured guard? It was an amusing thought. But the consideration was taken from his mind watching her. Sarah was still young and she was pretty, and for a moment her face took on an expression that made Leawen want to get up and kiss her passionately. In fact seeing her like that nearly made him forget himself. Light, the way her lips were slightly parted was a clear demand of her to be kissed, well, at least in his eyes. That moment he became determined to own her.

But the moment passed before he could have done anything and the woman before him talked on. However, what she said was a little surprise. Dilora? This had to be chance, but Leawen did know Dilora. In fact, he feared he knew her too well, and while his encounter with her had been tender in parts, he was keen to never see that particular peddler again. Ever! The problem was not that he knew Dilora. The problem was that Dilora knew him. And she knew him from the time before he had come to the tower. Leawen knew to little what the truth the other was aware of could cause. But he did not want to find out.

“It sounds like a lovely idea, Sahra, but in fact I have spent most my gold already of this month’s wages, and I wouldn’t really need anything from a peddler… unless of course I’d see something pretty to buy for you.” Peddler extraordinaire? He had the certain feeling the other could not possibly conceive how true her words were, yet in an utterly different meaning. 

Leawen shifted uncomfortable before he could stop himself. He was not inclined to deny a girl like this one any wish, but any encounter with Dilora could end with a drama for him. “Well, I guess we could still do something tonight if you are not too tired from the effects of healing. On the other hand, seeing you spar, I think I saw some tiny flaws. I could show you where you could improve. So maybe we do a dance with latches after lunch?” Maybe during that, he could pin her against something or so, of course, making it look it was chance that brought them that close.

He noticed something in her eyes. It could have been anything. But he was worried she might still contemplate visiting that cursed peddling woman. Quickly he threw something in to divert her attention: “But while we eat… since I have told you about half my life and my love, tell me, have you ever loved someone like I have loved this Altaran woman?”

He prayed that took her mind of a certain someone else. And of course, it would be interesting to learn more about her. This girl was old enough and had the looks to have experience. But somehow she seemed pleasantly innocent. Maybe she would give him a clue.

Leawen's praise of her idea made Sahra beam at him and she waved her hand dismissively at his protestation of not having any money. Dilora drove a hard bargain and hardly anyone could leave her wagon without buying anything but it still didn't mean that going there meant buying. And she could always borrow him money. His little flirt brought a smile to her lips and she was glad that he had clearly made some progress in getting over his loss. He did seem to be quite uncomfortable with the plan of going to see the peddler still but she allowed herself to be diverted for a moment. Dilly really was like no other wandering seller and he shouldn't miss the chance to meet her.

She pulled herself to sit even straighter at his suggestion that she might be too tired from the Healing and frowned thoughtfully at him mentioning her flaws. Hearing his instructions would be useful and most welcomed. Sana of course corrected her too but sometimes mentors could be blind to their student's mistakes if they resembled too much those of their own. Some masters even claimed that they could recognise who had taught who from the way they fought. Sana was the very best mentor there was but sparring with others and learning from their advice was always educating.

Oh Light, then he questioned her of her love life. The thought of Fior brought a touch of pink to her cheeks and she reminded herself that she shouldn't stay out too long after training since that time would be away from them. Of course they would sneak away to Aran's room after the curfew bells but the time before was precious too. They had to be quite careful to not snuggle too openly and it wasn't too difficult anymore since they knew that they could do it as much as they wanted later. She couldn't know how much Leawen had loved his lady but she definately had strong feelings for Fior and she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. Yes, she did love him even if she had never said it out loud yet. The moment would have to be just perfect.

Unbidden an image of herself dancing intimately with a man came to her mind and she sucked her breath in shock when she realised that it wasn't Fior. She hadn't had that kind of thoughts in a long time... no, it was a lie. The thought crossed her mind at least once every day when they trained but she always suppressed it quickly. A look, a laugh, a touch... anything could trigger it. But she and Sana were just friends and mentor and mentee now and that was how it was meant to be. It was best for everyone.

"Yes, I have loved someone", she confessed softly. She used deliberately the past tense since she couldn't divulge too much as it was forbidden. "But I am still a Trainee and that kind of things are not allowed until I am raised. Random trysts just aren't enough when you feel like that." She and Fior were lucky to be able to have a bit more. But Aran wouldn't be gone forever... no, she wouldn't think of it now.

Another track of pondering, dalliance, brought her back to the topic of Dilora. She refused to ever be ashamed of that since she had not done anything wrong. "We definately should spar after the lunch and I'd be greatful if you can point out my flaws. Every correction is a step toward perfection. But after that... are you certain that you will not come with me to meet Dilora?" She grinned. "I promise to keep you safe from the pressing urge to buy things. I will purchase a thing or two myself and I did get another idea... have you ever seen fireworks? Dark sky illuminated by colours, picnic in the Grove and good company... after meeting Dilora of course."

Sahra

Tower Trainee

This girl was cute. Leawen was not likely to ignore a slightly older woman for some girl a few years younger just because of her age. Women that had seen a few more winters usually were not as shy and not as difficult to seduce and often a tumble in the hay with them could be far more entertaining as with a girl that had no clue what to do or what a man found pleasing. But still, there was something about girls like her that enchanted him. He liked her naïve notions, her innocent blushes and barely broken youthful virtue. It was a heart warming delight to watch her blush.

But then he noticed something else in that girl’s eyes. There was a competitor, and clearly Sahra was taken with the foolish believe she actually loved that man. Leawen was certain that was going on in that pretty little head of hers, even before she said a single word. He had seen eyes with the same expression before. Not that he would give up because of that. Competition only made matters harder, but not impossible. Leawen had the feeling the man that held this girl’s heart would be prettier than him, but he doubted the other could give her pleasure like he could. There were just very few men that knew how to please a woman properly. Words could be deceiving, but he remembered enough startled eyes, filled with unknown ecstasy, to make him certain of that.

The mentioning of Dilora made him focus his attention on Sahra. Dilora was a sore point, and things did not improve with the girl constantly poking him where it hurt. But she seemed determined to visit that peddler. “All right, I tell you what. You want to see this Dilora? How about we turn this into a challenge? Say, I’ll show you some details, some tricks, to improve your fighting. I am not saying your mentor is not able to teach you, but I happen to know some things that might come in handy. After that we spar. And if you win, we will visit Dilora. You know what? I’ll even buy you something of your choice from Dilora’s wares. But if you loose…” He pretended to think of something suitable that he could require as award, while it was very clear to his mind what he wanted of her. Of course, he could not ask too much just yet. “… how about if you loose you will award me with a kiss?” Of course he expected her to kiss him on the lips. “Yes, a kiss is all I require…” he mused, trying to sound innocent and like he was asking for very little. “…the type of kiss you would give this boy that has stolen your heart? I am sure, if I close my eyes I can make myself imagine for a moment these lips belong to a special Altaran girl. A girl that is now only alive as a part of my imagination and that haunts my past.”

It was hard to not smile. There was no way he could loose against this girl. And he had solved the problem with Dilora and he would get to test her resolve for this man. With Leawen, kisses did have a tendency to grow longer then a girl might anticipate. He doubted he could make her melt within one kiss. But he would try. “And that idea with fireworks sounds lovely. A nightly picnic in the grove would be fantastic.”

Leawen had cleared his own plate by now, and in case she was done he would be happy to go outside to start helping her train.

Sahra nodded determinedly at his question about seeing Dilora. Yes, she wanted to meet her. The peddler didn't come to Tar Valon every day after all. The declaration of challenge made her frown and even though she could be a bit of daredevil from time to time, she could see a way for them both to win. But did she wish to kiss him? And this wouldn't be an innocent peck but Leawen wanted her to kiss him like she would kiss Fior. It was a sweet thought to help him get over the death of his beloved but it was someone else's place really. He might not feel like he was kissing her but Fior surely wouldn't see it that way.

"I'm glad that you like the idea of fireworks. We can't stay that long because of the curfew but luckily it is getting dark fairly early now. We just have to dress warmly." She didn't like late autumn when most of the leaves had fallen off and trees looked so abandoned and ghostly. And the autumn preceded the bitterly cold winter. The only good thing about that was their anniversary. They would have been a year together soon, she thought with an inner smile.

"I would really appreciate your teaching and the spar would be interesting but I am afraid that the challenge wouldn't be fair. I think that you are more advanced than I. And if you really are not interested to meet Dilora, you don't have to come along. We could meet in the Grove." She shrugged. "Of course there could be a way we both got what we wanted even without any contest. I'm just wondering why you would want to kiss me even if you kind of wouldn't be kissing me? Shouldn't you spare it for someone who isn't... well, emotionally occupied with someone else?"

He had already finished his food but she was feeling still hungry so while she waited for his response, she spooned away the rest of her soup in a speed that was most definately not lady-like but learned in the barracks.

Sahra

Gullible little Trainee

Rather clearly his first attempt had failed. But he was not yet willing to give up. And while a challenge was a childish way to earn a kiss, he thought it was rather fun. It kind of implied he had actually earned the kiss, rather than just stealing it. Fixing her face with his gaze he tried a different approach. Leawen’s voice was a little lower when he talked now, but it never broke up or sounded uncertain.

"Well, maybe the truth is I have a thing for you? Maybe the truth is that I have been watching you silently for a few days already? A few weeks? Maybe I know that I can never hope to get a kiss from you because I know your heart already belongs to someone else?” He allowed a moment’s silence to build, to add meaning to those words. The lines were questions. But the way he pronounced them made them sound like statements. Finally he went on. “Would it sound strange to you, if I said you somehow remind me of this Altaran girl? You surely do look different, but in the way you move, in the way you talk, you rouse all the love and affection I have felt for her."

He settled back on his bench, but his eyes did not leave her for a moment. “Call me a fool. But I would be a happy fool if I had the chance for that kiss." He signed. "Just one kiss." Bending back forward his thumb trailed over her lips so tenderly it had to feel like a butterfly's wing brushing against her skin. His voice was a mere whisper now. "I have dreamed of kissing you. And waking from that kiss was the first moment of happiness in my life." As if he only realized what he had done he drew his hand back. He did not blush, he could not force that at will, but he lowered his eyes in feigned embarrassment. "So, now you now the truth. And… besides… no one has to know. I don’t expect it right away. Besides. I have lost spars before when I struggled against women.” He did not add that those women had been blademasters. “So, you could well find yourself on a little shopping trip to Dilora with having nothing to give yourself. Especially once you have mastered those tricks I will show you.”

Lastly he added: “And no matter what happens, no matter how you win, you know I am Altaran, and I will be pleased to buy you whatever you wish. I have some savings. And you don’t need to have any reservations. Pleasing you will please me. And no matter the price, it will be a delight to fulfill your wish.” He smiled now softly. “Really, I think you have nothing to loose, and everything to win.”

He would actually honor that promise. He knew, this girl could never best him in one to one combat. Never, ever, not even with the dark one's luck.

She wanted to quiet him when he suggested that he might be attracted to her. He formed his words as questions but they sounded all too much like he actually meant it all. She could not take another triangle drama just when everything was so well. She felt very sorry for him when he said that she was alike his girl and that she brougth to the surface the feelings he had had for her. That confession made it easier to deal with it, he didn't have feelings for her really - and how could he have when they barely knew each others - but it was just rekindling old love for someone else.

As his finger touched her mouth, she tensed slightly but didn't stop him. She would if he went any further than that but he seemed to not have done it intentionally. Oh how well she knew what it was to have feelings for someone you shouldn't be. No one had to know... was he suggesting that they did something illicit and it was alright if no one found out? If they did something that they couldn't do in front of others, then it was wrong. And she knew that Fior would not appreciate her kissing others.

She still didn't see why they had to do the spar but he seemed to be a very competitive person. They could first go and do the teaching and then once she got some idea of his skill level, they would see about the spar. She liked to compete sometimes too but she also wanted to make sure she won when she did. There was nothing she disliked more than losing. But first she had to deal with what Leawen had said about his believed feelings for her.

"It's just a dream, Leawen", she said gently. "I am not that girl and instead of clinging on me and the past that I seem to represent, you should look forward and find someone else who is the right for you."

Time to divert him. She grinned challengingly. "It's not me because I doubt that despite everything you've said, you couldn't handle your girl handing your ass to you." She wasn't actually able to do it with Fior either. Not yet since he had a six month lead on her on training but she was determined that she would best him sooner or later. "Lets head to the Yard then, shall we and see who is the king of the hill."

Sahra

Tower Trainee

Was he growing old? Was his talent fading? Maybe his heart was no longer fully with pure desire. Whatever the reason was, Leawen was sure, just a year ago it had not been as hard to seduce girls. He remembered it clearly, just a few words, just a few caresses, and they were melting like snowflakes against his skin. Or had he just misjudged this girl? He was certain she had readily believed his lies, in fact he had seen the sorrow in her eyes of hearing his tale. Maybe she was right in one point, maybe it was time to stop wasting his time with meaningless adventures. Maybe it was time to settle down with one girl…

He nearly chocked. He had to be getting old to have such disgusting thoughts. Settle down? Limit life to just one girl? That was like saying one would only eat one dish for the rest of ones life. Next, he’d grin if someone asked him to get bonded or married. Him settling down? Never!  The momentary sensation of disappointment changed into something akin to amusement.

“All right, lets train some.” Rising he smiled down at her. “But don’t think I will give up that easily. Maybe you are right… Maybe I should not focus so much on you. But you are still a lovely girl, and I don’t think the desire to be with you can be quenched so easily. But, don’t worry, I will have myself under control.”

This girl wanted to play hard to get? She was shy? She thought a kiss was too meaningful to share for fun? He would try some more, but if it got too hard, there were plenty of other girls around. Her denial was no reason to get irritated about. It was like a spar, but not identical. He could manage to loose this game, but he could not bear the thought to loose a spar against a woman.

Leading her to a slightly secluded part of the yards, somewhere where they would not be the main focus of the mentors, he handed her some latches. “Maybe I should explain something… Sahra. What I will show you now, I did not learn here in the yards. In fact, there might some mentors and warders that might… disapprove.” He suppressed a slight grin. “Back when I was a guard in Altara, I saw a number of outlaws use this trick. The basic idea is quite simple, really. First, you deliver a quite obvious blow, just like that:” Leawen showed her a slow version to demonstrate how the blade was to curve upwards. “No, most people will have an easy time to parade that strike. And that is exactly what we want. The blade will bounce back. But you will not withdraw as you have been taught. Instead you will leap forward a step or two.” This time he did not care to hide the grin playing on his face. He remembered using this on a guard or two, and their surprised faces. They had laughed seeing him as if he was dirt they could trample. Well, after that the certainly had no longer looked down on him.

“It will not be a lethal blow in most cases. Often you will just scare the unlucky fellow facing you. Most time all that will happen is that your sword’s tip will slice his pants into shreds. Sometimes the tip will draw some blood, or slice into the skin of his lower belly. It is unlikely you will actually cut something meaningful off, but, I tell you, the shock will be enough to buy you some time, and usually, especially when you are facing men, they will be so shocked, you should be able to land one blow unhindered.”

Yes, usually that scared the life out of men.

“Shall we give this a go?”

Of course, he would stuff something into his pants… Just in case. Latches could be just as painful as an actual blade if they hit something sensitive.

Responding Leawen's smile when he suggested training was easy but the happy expression dimmed when he said he wasn't going to give up on her. But she could live with it if he indeed controlled himself. She really had no desire for another love triangle and as nice as Leawen was and his past sad, the only man in her mind now was Fior. And Sana of course but not like that anymore. She was glad that they had been able to return to being mentor and mentee with ease and they were still good friends. The only worry in her life was what would happen when Aran came back and she and Fior would have to find some other place to meet... or even worse, really spend time together only on free days. Now they were able to stay nights together and she would miss that dearly. But only a year left of training before she would hopefully be ready.

She received the lathe Leawen gave her and nodded to him in thanks. She prefered to train with real blade and she had persuaded Sana to practice with her with steel at slow pace because wood had entirely different feel. Lathes just didn't work like real blades and she wanted to prepare for real fighting. But for spars they were a must since she wasn't good enough to practice with steel at full speed yet.

Being little further from the main Yards was a good idea since she didn't want Sana's supervision now. She paid careful attention as Leawen showed her his trick. It connected with earlier teachings; Sana had shown her similar attacks, feint and then change the line of the attack. Usually you ended up with the tip of your blade through the opponent's belly... or aim a little lower and catch the groin. Leawen's way had a bit more flourish and required two attacks instead of the one. Sahra prefered effectiveness and ending battles as soon as possible to save her strenght but this might be insight on how Leawen fought.

They went through some basic attacks and defences, the usual flow drills, to gauge each others' skills but after few forms she signaled that she was ready for the spar. "Shall we end it after three touches?" It would be a fairly quick spar but they could always practice more before their short free time begun. Leawen said that he accepted and returned the greeting, bringing the pommel to the level of his jaw tip up and they assumed guard stances. Sahra chose the iron door defense, a slightly lowered stance and blade held low at her groin level, the tip pointing to the ground. Leawen begun with Boar Rushes Downhill and she countered with window defense, hands on the left side of her head and the blade protecting her horizontally. She proceeded to a pommel strike but he neatly sidestepped it.

They were back at guard stances, pacing around each others and this time she took the initiative launching Dandelion in the Wind, a horizontal blow aiming at his throat and one that she always had difficulties parrying in a free spar.

Sahra Covenry

Taking every spar seriously