1. 1. Maffia Scoreboard idea

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Other (post what ever this is?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Majsju

KOD put me in a positive mood. AMOL will be the final book, 2000 pages of awesomeness that will blow us away, and set a new standard for how fantasy is written. 2 hours after it's release Goodkind announces that he quits writing and returns to his old job at the gas station :lol:

The most amazing ending to a fantasy series was The Grand Crusade, the final book in Michael A. Stackpole's DragonCrown War Cycle series. I was completely blown away. That is the standard by which I will judge Memory of Light... and I hope it leaves me trembling.

Guest Egwene

Hi Bob!! Where have you been??? It's been quiet on these new boards without you......you pessimist you...:D

The final book, whatever shape it takes, is going to be stupendous!!!! There will be answers to so many questions.....though I am guessing one particular question is going to be left open....lol

We will finally see some cooperation between some of the main characters. People will turn out to be on the side of the shadow that we haven't even considered yet! I am sure the RJ has a suprise or two lined up for us.

Hey....how many other authors have you read more than twice, discussed the books for years with total strangers online and would happily pay double if you were offered the option of 'buy it now'...?

It'll be looooong' date=' and it'll be lame.

Nothing could live up to 11 books worth of build-up. Jordan has simply taken too long to get to the payoff. :([/quote']

Oh ye of little faith, Bob. I disagree entirely.

All the dominos are set up and all RJ has to do is flick the first one and they'll all come crashing down in sequence.

I can't wait!

Guest cwestervelt
KOD put me in a positive mood. AMOL will be the final book' date=' 2000 pages of awesomeness that will blow us away, and set a new standard for how fantasy is written. 2 hours after it's release Goodkind announces that he quits writing and returns to his old job at the gas station :lol:[/quote']

I actually made it through The Sword of Truth. I swore of the rest of his books afterwards. For years I kept seeing stuff putting Goodkind's writing on the same level as The Wheel of Time. Maybe it was something in the ones I couldn't get myself to read.

I hope the book is a good long one. I could easily handle reading that 2000 pages myself.

Hi Bob!! Where have you been??? It's been quiet on these new boards without you......you pessimist you...:D

Hi' date=' sweetheart. Glad to see you got things started off right over here with the Asmo thread :D

I think if it were possible to read [i']A Memory of Light[/i] as a standalone, we'd all consider it a pretty good book. But, after eleven volumes of buildup, I just can't envision anything that won't seem like an anti-climax. Jordan has simply built up too great a level of frustration with the glacial pace.

I mean, think about it... eleven volumes and the only two bad guys we can be certain won't show up for the big dance are Bel'al and Rahvin.

Guest Egwene

hmmm.....you must have done something wrong, Bob.....my level of exitement is just right... :lol: :wink:

my biggest worry is where do I order the book. My brother got his copy 2 weeks before me and I read somewhere on the temporary board that someone else got theirs 2 weeks prior to release date. WHERE?????

Hi' date=' sweetheart. Glad to see you got things started off right over here with the Asmo thread :D

I think if it were possible to read [i']A Memory of Light[/i] as a standalone, we'd all consider it a pretty good book. But, after eleven volumes of buildup, I just can't envision anything that won't seem like an anti-climax. Jordan has simply built up too great a level of frustration with the glacial pace.

I mean, think about it... eleven volumes and the only two bad guys we can be certain won't show up for the big dance are Bel'al and Rahvin.

Really? You think Asmodean will get a jersey? Can't see that happening.

More to the point, what's wrong with knowing the Foresaken will be there? I for one am not at all "frustrated with the glacial pace." In fact, I've been more than happy with every book. It's rare these days that an author takes some time to tell a story the way he wants to.

Whether it takes a year or two or three, I'll wait with baited breath until I read AMoL. I've never looked forward to a literary treat like this before and I doubt I will ever again.

Simply put, RJ has built up his climax just nicely. AMoL is going to be a kicker!

Guest Egwene

couldn't agree more Leafburner!

When I think how totally over the moon I was when I got my hands on KoD.... You may have read this elsewhere...but...I was on holiday at my brother's - he had the book (2 weeks before release!) - and I read every spare minute and all through the night......my brother and his wife thought me (put words of you choice here..lol)

I made my husband swear he wouldn't tell my parents why I attended the family party with bags the size of Africa under my eyes....

It was like Christmas and Birthday rolled in one....and I would forgo those for the rest of my life if you said 'have aMoL now in exchange'!

Guest cwestervelt

Places really don't want it getting around if they are doing early releases of books. They can get in some serious trouble doing so as they are supposed to be bound by there agreements with publishers and distributors. You hear of a few stores getting in trouble doing that every new Harry Potter book that comes out.

Guest Egwene

In fairness, my brother ordered his copy a couple of months before I ordered mine...but when I was accross there (Germany) even the shop said yeah, if you're still here we can get it for you in three days...... so I don't know whether to bother pre-ordering it again...

Guest cwestervelt

What I usually do is pre-order at the local bookstore and then pick it up the day it comes out. That way I know that I will get a copy without in the event that it sells out. Having pre-ordered the book from a place that ships it to you isn't supposed to get you it early. Places that take orders are supposed to be making sure delivery doesn't occur until on or after the official release date. As a result, they will often not even ship the book until that day meaning you may actually get it later than if you hadn't pre-ordered but just went to the store to get it. If they ship early, they are supposed to use a service that will deliver it on, or after the official release date. Obviously though, not all book sellers abide by the rules.

Guest Egwene

So now I check once a week on the UK site for a publishing date at which point I might put my order in through the german site...lol

...anyway...got to go now...take care everyone..

Whether its one book or two for the end I'm still going to find it quite sad.

When i have enjoyed books before (which hasn't been as much as WoT ) I feel really sad when they end...its like saying goodbye to a good friend and you don't know if you ever going to see them again.... :( Oh well I'll just have to go back and read them all over again..... :lol:

As for Amazon....I preordered my KOD quite a bit before it was due to come out and it took them nearly two weeks before I got it through the post...next time I will go and do it through a local book store and pick it up that day just as Cwestervelt did....at least you know you will get it when you are supposed to.

My fear is it will be large but the publisher will decide it's too large, split it for twice the revenue. I suppose this depends on how sway RJ has with his publisher.

I certainly found preordering KOD thru Amazon US paid off for me. I got it a week before i went to Australia for a holiday. Wasn't in the stores at home but they had it in Aussie. Was going to wait to read it till I got back home but I couldn't wait and had it read in four days.

Guest cwestervelt

Has anyone heard anything about Amazon.com getting in trouble with Tor about all these early shippings? I know people who own a bookstore, and when popular books come out, the release date guidelines can be pretty strictly enforced.

Guest Egwene

I haven't heard that...but when in Germany what rubbed salt on my wound was the fact that the regular bookshop said they could get it in a couple of days. That was still a couple of weeks prior to release date.

...and having waited for ages, Leafburner...no way am I waiting a moment longer than possible... :D

i'm of the firm opinion that it won't be the last book, jordan's emphatic statements to the contrary notwithstanding. precedents count, man.

and if it isn't (and i'm sure it will), i fear it will be a botched job, unless he does the 2000 page thing, which i don't think works from a publisher's standpoint. which means it will be 2 volumes at $40 canadian each. this translates into dude-lingo as "royal screw job." actually, that's dummed down dude-lingo. the words i would use in person would make andrew dice clay wince.

Archived