DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

DejaVu: a type of foretelling? Or dreamwalking?

GrandpaG

I've experienced it.  It's almost spooky.  You know exactly what is going to happen.  It's like you've dreamed it or actually lived it before.  You know every word that will be spoken.  And, when you change the scene by saying something different, you avoid a fight or some kind of trouble.  Or, in one case, I knew that if I didn't slow down that when I turned a familiar curve in the road a deer would be standing there and I would swerve going into the ditch and my sleeping cousin would not wake up...when I slowed to make the curve, I saw the tail of the deer flashing into the woods just beyond my headlights.  :o

Anyway, this isn't exactly what Elaida does.  It's not exactly what Egwene does.  But, it must be in the same family of events.  If we can experience DejaVu, maybe TR is real, too?  Anyone out there have Min's gift?  Or really foretell (not the con-artist type...I mean real)?  Or maybe you'd better not say...you'll have people wanting you to tell their fortunes!  :)

Its great to think like this, I myself can get serious vertigo from deja vu,  but I would never base any of my actions off of anything like this. It could be real, it might not be, as it is, most of the world gets by acting without much serious thought "the supernatural", so I just want to say (I don't know how old you are) but don't get the idea that if you believe someone can predict the future, and they say, "you'll fly if you jump off that cliff" that you will actually fly.

It's a little off topic, but I had to make sure that everyone heard(read) this, I kinda got a bad feeling from the last post...

well, it depends how you think flying is defined. flying? or falling with style?

that happens to me all the time gramps. im just daydreaming and it pops up in my mind. it is usually short for me, and nothing important, like walking in a room and talking to my friends. one time, i was saying something, and i stopped. i imagined it like a month or two ago. and it was creepy. i wonder why the mind does that. its strange, and in somecases like yours, saved a deer.

...and your cousin.

it happens to me too! (I dunno which it is dreaming r foretelling i think perhaps its a bit of both!!!)  It freaks me out tho and i don't like it.

Does anyone ever hav dreams that r so vivid you are convinvced they are real even when u wake up and despite the evidence u cant get rid of the feeling that they really happened? i

• Community Administrator

Deja Vu? Get that every now and again. Not the 'foretelling kind' but the 'omg, i've been here before...

Look at it this way, I had a dream I wasin a class room, with a bunch of unfamiliar people, with a tv in the corner, watching some show, and a few other mundane details... that would take up far to much time to elaborate on.. Anyways, a few years later, I was recalling this 'dream thing' and then I noticed, I was in that exact same room, on that exact same day, with that exact same show on the tv. "Didn't help that the teacher in the dream, and the teacher I had, both had the same style of mustach/beard." :P

Other then that, I've occasionally had 'dreams' so to speak, of places or events that happen a few years later, with no real detail, but enough detail that in a few years, that memory strikes a cord and I get that sense of Deja'vu....

As for that 'waking up feeling like your falling'. I hate when that happens... I don't know why, but occasionally i'll wake up in the middle of the night, and 'flop' like i've just fallen onto the bed....

I think the Tooth Fairy is messing with me at night?!

For some science:

A deja vu is a misfunctioning in the brains. You see/know/discover/hear/... everything unconsciously before you do so consciously. That way, by the time you know you see/know/discover/hear/... it, it looks like you already knew. It's just a matter of microseconds, really.

it happens to me too! (I dunno which it is dreaming r foretelling i think perhaps its a bit of both!!!)  It freaks me out tho and i don't like it.

Does anyone ever hav dreams that r so vivid you are convinvced they are real even when u wake up and despite the evidence u cant get rid of the feeling that they really happened? i

I had about a 2 second dream that my mom bought a cereal that she never does, and then i thought  huh,. It was really fake, but when i woke up i was convinced she had bought the cereal, and asked very loudly, "where did you hide it?".

And according to thorum my brain disfunctions fairly often.

Its not so much a malfunction as a split second delay between absorbing the information, and becoming conciously aware of it. The split second allows for the information to already be in your memory, so when you do become concious of it it feels like you have a memory of it happening another time.

Its not so much a malfunction as a split second delay between absorbing the information, and becoming conciously aware of it. The split second allows for the information to already be in your memory, so when you do become concious of it it feels like you have a memory of it happening another time.

And what's the difference with my explanation? It is a malfunction, however much you turn it around.

I know the scientific explanations and having worked in neurology for a while think they are true but also maybe not the whole truth - I have had dejaVu  that I was very sure I had seen month before - of course it could be just some short circuit in my brain, but it could be something else.

The "falling on your bed" thing is also really weird but I never considered that that might be something different then just an odd dream.

I also have had very real dreams like ones every 2 years or so, when at most nights I can't remember anything at all, it is really scary and I wanted to start writing them down for a while but haven’t gotten around to it.

Dreams, prophesies etc.. are a round in almost every culture, and tradition so I'm sure there is "more between heaven and earth" then brain malfunctions :-)

Dreams do have forecasting abilities. I've seen (in lessons) enough proof of this, proof that it is not coincidence.

deja-vus on the other hand, are totally explained and there's never anything mysterious about them (scientifically). You know you've done/seen/... everything you do previously. I've even got some that I could say "it was on that holiday so many years ago in that hotel ...". But that is because the first perception is placed in the part of your memory where that recolection is stored. Not any other reason.

The most striking examples are people who dream someone is gonna die at that time at that place in this way, and it happens often (this can be checked by letting people write down their dreams). Same with trains derailing, airplane crashes (f.e. the one in the Andes with the football (?) team), etc.

The most striking examples are people who dream someone is gonna die at that time at that place in this way, and it happens often (this can be checked by letting people write down their dreams). Same with trains derailing, airplane crashes (f.e. the one in the Andes with the football (?) team), etc.

never heard of these examples before. Guess I'm a little young/naive.

Anything happen to you?

When RJ describes Hopper flying around in the Wolf Dream reminds me of dreams that I have had many times.  I fly above the tree tops, mainly.  Must be afraid to go too high.  Sometimes I crash.  Sometimes I just enjoy the view.

The black area where Egwene sees the white orbs seems somehow familiar, too.  Can't say that I've popped into TR other than what is described in the books where people sit on the throne then disappear, etc.

The part that eats at me is the Portal Stone worlds that Rand and company visit on the way to Falme from Carhein.  This has to be the same place that the AS visit when they get raised Accepted and AS, wouldn't you think?  Some people never return.  As far as I know, I've never been to those worlds.  I do wonder, though, if there are an infinite number of other possible "me" people living different lives someplace that could have been mine had I made different choices growing up.  Maybe one of me is a wineo on some beach some where?  Maybe one of me is a lawyer? (OMG, NO!)  Maybe one of me married an old girlfriend and has a dozen kids?  Maybe one of me got waxed in Viet Nam?  I don't visit those worlds in my sleep very often that I remember...they do put up in daydreams, though.  Rand, Loial, and Hurin went to one of those possibility worlds together...must have been different somehow from the many possibilities worlds?  Or maybe it was a common possibility for all of them plus the drop-dead-gorgeous Selene?  Am I rambling on?  ::)

y'are, but its fun to read, =]

Can't say that I've popped into TR other than what is described in the books where people sit on the throne then disappear

When people disapear in my dreams, and i remember them, its more like ive just turned away from them and in the corner of my vision they just, cease to exist. Sometimes i can call them back when i look again, sometimes im left wondering where they went.

Whenever I fly, there is always fear, and power. I have to jump into my flights, always, if i start off on the ground. Once im in the air, my flights can either require myself straining to jump as im in the air (somehow) or moving my arms like I am pushing the air down, and myself up. It is never easy, except i cover ground much easier, and I have a surprising amount of control at times.

I never remember my dreams (except once, when I had just hugged a baby to death when I woke up)

you must like babies.

y'are, but its fun to read, =]

Whenever I fly, there is always fear, and power. I have to jump into my flights, always, if i start off on the ground. Once im in the air, my flights can either require myself straining to jump as im in the air (somehow) or moving my arms like I am pushing the air down, and myself up. It is never easy, except i cover ground much easier, and I have a surprising amount of control at times.

Can you levitate, too?  There's a street magician on TV who lifts himself off the ground while standing right next to the people watching him.  I dream every now and then that I can do that.  Not very far.  Maybe a couple of inches.  It is a great strain.  I somehow use anti-gravity.  Long, memorable dream.

It's starting to look like I should have had this post over in the General Discussion area.

When I posted, I expected it to lead more toward a discussion of the randland stuff.  Not that I'm complaining...just thinking out loud.

MOD: is there a way to move it?  Thanks.

Archived