DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

From Minas Tirith to Tar Valon

Greetings to one and all!

I, just like everyone here, am a fantasy enthusiast. I am also a PhD research scholar working on mythopoeia- Tolkien, to be specific. Well, I was at least. And then I chanced upon Jordan's The Wheel of Time. Will probably have to adjust my work to fit in Jordan now...

When the trailer to the Amazon series came out in 2021 amid reports of their attempt to counter HBO's The Game of Thrones, I was very sceptical of the narrative and didn't really find it engrossing enough. In my mind, none could surpass Tolkien's work. A week back, when I came across a WoT reference, I finally took a dive into Jordan's world and to say that I was mistaken in my presumptions would be an understatement. WoT, from whatever I have gathered so far, seems like a rich and well-constructed mythopoeia with deep philosophical undertones. Since the books I ordered haven't arrived yet, I watched the first season and now it seems that I have 14 new books to read. ASAP. I'm loving every bit of it!

Looking forward to interacting with the members of this community, learning more about that fantastic world and contributing in whatever way I can! 

Love and regards,

SalazarElessar

• RP - PLAYER

Welcome to Dragonmount 🙂

The books are definitely deep, with a lot of influences and parallels. I wish you well on your Journey through the Third Age, look forward to seeing about on the forums.

May you always find shade and water 🙂

Welcome and what Mother, said! But the social groups are less spoiler filled than other places around DM. It's all a magnificent ride though! I wish I was reading the books for the first time.... 😁

Welcome!

What a cool field of study for Phd - It will be great to have your thoughts, perspectives and findings on the forums - hopefully you enjoy the read and can avoid spoilers for a bit while you're waiting for your books to arrive!

(And if the wait gets tough, hang in there, try Season 2 if the show, and remember to pity all of us 'oldies' who started way back when for the YEARS of waiting that there was between instalments!)

If you like writing fiction yourself also,  the Roleplay side here can be great fun when it's active (and maybe a good escape/distraction from the 'task' of the Phd??) Feel free to ask questions and join in there too at any point if you're keen 🙂

(Caution for some likely spoilers there too  though- the stories aren't all true to Canon timeline, but the 'Legacy' section has been going for nearly 20 years in various iterations, and 'New Age' is in the worldbuilding/beginning stages of a new hypothetical setting,  based 25 years after the book events... )

Edited by Cass