DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time Books

I have read book one on kindle it was ok, but I really like the character Rand on the Tv Series they are filming book four I believe is The Shadow Rising book 4 worth buying on kindle, which is the best book to read with a lot of Rand in it.

• RP - PLAYER
21 hours ago, denise_42 said:

I have read book one on kindle it was ok, but I really like the character Rand on the Tv Series they are filming book four I believe is The Shadow Rising book 4 worth buying on kindle, which is the best book to read with a lot of Rand in it.

The books tell a continuous story so I am not sure how much sense it would make to read individual books by themselves. Rand's character goes through a lot during the story, and changes quite a bit too, so in any given part of the story he can be behaving quite differently. Of course, his core values don't change so much as his outlook.

Which book has the most Rand I really could not say, outside of the first one that is written completely from his point of view - the later books are spread over many different points of view. Perhaps somewhere there is a breakdown per book but honestly not sure of much value that would have.

• 1 month later...

If you really like Rand, then read ALL THE BOOKS!  That's the only way to truly understand the character you claim to "like".  Rand doesn't even understand himself until the end, how could you possibly?  It sounds to me as though you like the actor who plays Rand Althor.   Especially if you thought The Eye of the World was "ok".   Sounds to me like you would be better off Google imaging "Josha Stradowsi", the Dutch actor, than delving into one of the most nuanced and intricate fantasy stories of all time. 

Edited by MostOfTsushima
trying to be nice

• RP - PLAYER

Pictures do paint a thousand words. Or whatever the saying is, that sounds a bit odd. 

But as the story does revolve around Rand from beginning to end, there are no specific books about him, and without following his development, it may be difficult to empathize with him. 

But I hope you find whatever enjoyment you can, it may be that the books will not be to your taste and you will have to wait for the next series to come out. But I truly hope you do enjoy the books, they have been such a pleasure for me, it is something that is great to share.

If you ask for RECOMMENDATION, then read all books. I cannot recommend you anything else.

To my not-RECOMMENDATION now:

• Spoiler
    • Read book 2, it is still Rand centric a lot. There is more space for other character then it was in book 1, but Rand play main role. It has also a lot of book 1 Rand, human, fool and badass.
    • You can skip book 3, where is Rand presence mostly indirect and book is about Mat, Perrin and about Power Girls (Nyn, Egy, Elayne).
    • Book 4 (is shootet now) is fandom favorite, because we get to know aielts and aielts are awesome. Rand start to absorb this awsomnes during book 4 so he became more awesome as well. There are 2 other thread in book 4, Perrin and Nyn&Elayne.
    • Book 5 follow in same footsteps as book 4.

As you can see, as much as I wanted reduce books  for you from all books to some books. It is only 1 out of 5 I cut out so read all books :).

The best Rand book would be book 12. Which is also the best Egwene book, by the way. But yeah, like the others said, reading these books in random order will ruin things. The only book I'd say you're allowed to skim or only read the summary of, would be book 10. Book 10 is the bad one. The rest I'd rank ranging from decent all the way up to brilliant.

You've read book 1, which is flawed indeed, but if you consider it decent, I'd recommend you keep reading in order. Skip the prologue book New Spring for now. I currently recommend you read that after book 11, or after you finish the series. You don't need that one. Anyway, continuing onwards, book 2 improves upon a few flaws from book 1 (mainly pacing and a much better ending), and book 3 I loved so much that's where I decided to read the entire series. Fair warning though: book 3 is about Rand a lot, but we don't get a lot from his perspective. I do think this was a great idea though, as worrying about Rand works better if you're not sure what he's up to. Hard disagree with Elendir here. Don't skip this one! You don't want to miss out on the ending to book 3.

Continuing onwards, now you're in for a treat: book 4 is the best in the series, and books 5 and 6 are close behind. Those three I reckon probably make up the strongest bit of fantasy of all time. But.. book 6 has such an explosive and amazing ending that book 7 will probably feel a tad disappointing. It's not bad though. Perhaps take a little break before starting book 7. Book 8 feels rather episodic but is quite strong in its own right. Book 9 has a lot of Rand, but it's very slow. Great ending though. Book 10 I mentioned is the bad one. Almost no Rand, all setup and no payoff, and to make matters worse, it ends in a cliffhanger. Book 11 is really good again though.

And here we switch authors, which you'll notice by the pace going up twofold. And from a few other things. Book 12 is one of my favourites, but many disagree. But like I said, lots of Rand so you'll enjoy that one. Book 13 has amazing Rand moments, but focuses more on other characters. Still very good by the way. Book 14 everything blows up and you get the ending to the biggest fantasy series of all time. If you make it that far, you'll be interested to know how it ends. 😛 

So here's a sneak peek into the series. It's absolutely worth it. Don't quit after book 3, or you'll miss out on the best books.

Edited by Asthereal