DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cadsuane Melaidhrin _ who is your headcanon casting?

Shawlee

Mine is, has has been for a while, well few years now : Shohreh Aghdashloo

image.png.3215ae50558032dfe11781f938b57ad3.png

Someone else used to be my fan cast back in early 2000, but honestly it's been so long i forget the actor 🤔

Although I heard a rumor recently, she is being cast as Elida, and I hate it 🤕 *runs and cries in a dark corner* 😨😭

Edited by Shawlee

• Shawlee changed the title to Cadsuane Melaidhrin _ who is your headcanon casting?
5 minutes ago, Elgee said:

*Goes to cry with Shawlee*

Don't get me wrong, she'll be excellent playing any character, but she's been such a fan-favourite for the role of Cads for so many years, to the point where she even approached Rafe about it. Why not just go with that flow??

I am sorry, Mother, but I have to say this: because he just doesn't care what the fans think. He has his own idea(interpretation) of the story, good for him, everyone does. And only his interpretation matters. Even something small like listening to the fan casting esp when even the actor is on board. It is because we reached out to her, we made so much noise about it that even Shohreh noticed, and reached out to Him. Not the other way around. That's all i will say.

Anyone can play Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan. I am of the belief that they should just merge Liandrin and Elaida together. Kate Fleetwood did such a good job with this character it would've been nice to see her raised to the Chair. They've already given her a story to fit it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

19 hours ago, Shawlee said:

Mine is, has has been for a while, well few years now : Shohreh Aghdashloo

image.png.3215ae50558032dfe11781f938b57ad3.png

Someone else used to be my fan cast back in early 2000, but honestly it's been so long i forget the actor 🤔

Although I heard a rumor recently, she is being cast as Elida, and I hate it 🤕 *runs and cries in a dark corner* 😨😭

Cadsuane is described as having solidly gray hair so many times that it’s a solid part of my mental image for her.  It really brings the gravitas and sense of experience to her character.  Of course, wigs and hair dye exist, so this shouldn’t be a barrier to casting anyone in particular.

49 minutes ago, Shawlee said:

@Samt Umm, Rosamund isn't a brunette... so, i don't understand? 

Anyhow, if hair is the issue, I think this fanart might help you picture her in this role.

Screenshot_20231111_220012_Google.jpg

Just my headcanon.  I wouldn't say that Rosamund looks particularly like the book description of Moiraine, but I find that less important to Moiraine anyways.  Cadsuane's hair is important to me because I feel like it's not just an incidental physical characteristic.  Gray hair represents age and usually wisdom and experience.  In a group where agelessness is a defining feature, the fact that Cadsuane looks old (though definitely not feeble or frail) is an important part of her description.  As I said, hair color is not so difficult to change anyways, so it isn't something that has to be a make or break criteria for the casting.  

44 minutes ago, Mirefox said:

Since they cast Shiriam as a woman with grey hair maybe the can make Cad a redhead?😂

Honestly with the actress who is playing it it would really hit harder than the book( it was already very hard for me), when the "thing" happens. It's like realizing your own grandma is a serial killer. 😅😅

Edited by Shawlee

On 11/11/2023 at 7:03 PM, Shawlee said:

I am sorry, Mother, but I have to say this: because he just doesn't care what the fans think. He has his own idea(interpretation) of the story, good for him, everyone does. And only his interpretation matters. Even something small like listening to the fan casting esp when even the actor is on board. It is because we reached out to her, we made so much noise about it that even Shohreh noticed, and reached out to Him. Not the other way around. That's all i will say.

Anyone can play Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan. I am of the belief that they should just merge Liandrin and Elaida together. Kate Fleetwood did such a good job with this character it would've been nice to see her raised to the Chair. They've already given her a story to fit it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I think it is because Cadusane has a far smaller role then Elaida in the books, and I can see, if he carries on his trend of writing deep villains for the show, Elaida in the show having some really meaty scenes to get her teeth into which is probably something that as an actor she will prefer. Yes, headcanon a lot of fans put her in a role I think she is far better suited for this role and it is actually better casting. 

I imagine he might have sat down with her and given her a choice behind the scenes, casting like this usually involves a lot of conversation and Rafe will have had some input but no where near as much as you might expect. I also think she might well have seen what he sketched out for Elaida and said, yes, I will have that instead please. I get the feeling that unlike the books her steps into madness will not be influenced by Fain at all and, much like Liandrin, will come from her past meaning that as an actor she can really get into that character plus, bad guys are always more fun to play then good.  

As for anyone can play Elaida and combining her with Liandrin, peolpe complain about Rafe ignoring the books but then want to make monumental changes such as this, a darkfriend on the seat makes no sense when it comes to the showdown with Egwene, the whole point of Elaida is to show that bad choices does not always = Bad people, and being so convinced you are right can make you blinkered to what is right and true in front of you. Elaida is one of the Key characters of the story and needs to exist pretty much as is in the books, just with the removal of the Daggers influence on her hopefully. One of my issues with that was RJ seemed to want a world where everyone is inherently good, except when they are darkfriends or touched by Shadar Logath, and all bad people are either darfriends or have been corrupted by said dagger. Rafe is showing much more shades of grey which I love. 

Liandrins arc should now continue away from the tower, possibly ending with her in stedding at the last battle, although following her path in the books would also be really interesting. 

Edited by Scarloc99

On 11/12/2023 at 3:55 AM, Samt said:

Just my headcanon.  I wouldn't say that Rosamund looks particularly like the book description of Moiraine, but I find that less important to Moiraine anyways.  Cadsuane's hair is important to me because I feel like it's not just an incidental physical characteristic.  Gray hair represents age and usually wisdom and experience.  In a group where agelessness is a defining feature, the fact that Cadsuane looks old (though definitely not feeble or frail) is an important part of her description.  As I said, hair color is not so difficult to change anyways, so it isn't something that has to be a make or break criteria for the casting.  

I mean if we are fantasy casting sorry Dame Judi Dench can't be beaten for me, can project that power and authority but also has that age and experience oozing from her naturally and I can see her chewing scenes with rand up, saying nothing with just a gaze and then a raise of an eyebrow. 

Gotta say my main fan cast for Cadsaune was Shohreh Aghdashloo after seeing the first season of the Expanse.  I do think she will make a wonder Elaida, certainly think she will love taking centre stage and chew the scenery that the role should hopefully involve.

Previous to Shohreh I flip flopped between Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith.

• 2 weeks later...

It was Shohreh, although now I'm interested to see her as a villain. Cadsuane would have pretty much been Chrisjen Avasarala 2.0, so I can see why she would go for something different.

I think they should tip their hat to DS9's women and use Nana Visitor or Terry Farrell. But I watched DS9 for the first time about the same time I read Eye of the World, so they're just merged in my head.

• 1 month later...

I so so wanted Shohreh, but I’m watching a show right now called ‘A place to call home’ and the main matriarch is played by Noni Hazlehurst and honestly, I think she would absolutely murder the role of Cadsuane. 

On 12/4/2023 at 1:01 PM, Spider Spence said:

It was Shohreh, although now I'm interested to see her as a villain. Cadsuane would have pretty much been Chrisjen Avasarala 2.0, so I can see why she would go for something different.

I'm in agreement with this. I don't see the role being played any different than Chrisjen or Commodore Paris in Star Trek. She's an outstanding actress but I feel like she ends up getting shoehorned into a very specific role. Seeing her as a villain would be a treat tho. 

• 2 weeks later...