DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hey All - New To WOT

Stevzor

Hey Folks,

New to these forums and to the Wheel of Time universe, I just finished binge watching Season 2 and loved it so thought about buying the books to get stuck into those since it's no doubt going to be another 1.5-2 years for season 3 to release. 

So this post is mainly to just say hi to everyone and if you have any tips for reading the books let me know 🙂

Thanks,

Steven

• RP - PLAYER

Hi Steven, welcome to the forums 🙂 

Glad you enjoyed the show. For reading tips there are not many to give really. Don't start with the prequel, New Spring, the Eye of the World is the introduction to the book world. NS should be read after book three at the earliest I think is the collective wisdom.

Remember the first three books were written more as a stand alone book, and then trilogy, be prepared for the story evolving, and the first two books having somewhat arbitrary endings. I loved the first book and the start in general, others really don't like it. You might find it a bit slow going as it will tease things you already know from the show.

But most of all enjoy them 🙂 They are great books

13 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

Hi Steven, welcome to the forums 🙂 

Glad you enjoyed the show. For reading tips there are not many to give really. Don't start with the prequel, New Spring, the Eye of the World is the introduction to the book world. NS should be read after book three at the earliest I think is the collective wisdom.

Remember the first three books were written more as a stand alone book, and then trilogy, be prepared for the story evolving, and the first two books having somewhat arbitrary endings. I loved the first book and the start in general, others really don't like it. You might find it a bit slow going as it will tease things you already know from the show.

But most of all enjoy them 🙂 They are great books

Hey Heavy,

Thanks good to know regarding New Spring! gonna get the first few ordered off Amazon shortly and get stuck in, looking forward to it! 

Welcome to the WoT world, Stevzor 🙂

Heavy's put it quite nicely, so I'll just add that if you don't want to read Spoilers for the show, maybe stick to the 1st 3 books and New Spring?

Also, be prepared for it to differ quite a bit the show.

18 hours ago, Elgee said:

Welcome to the WoT world, Stevzor 🙂

Heavy's put it quite nicely, so I'll just add that if you don't want to read Spoilers for the show, maybe stick to the 1st 3 books and New Spring?

Also, be prepared for it to differ quite a bit the show.

Hey Elgee thanks! I've ordered all 15 books today haha so should have them all within 3 days for delivery 🙂

If I end up hooked on the books I don't think I will be able to hold off moving onto the next book haha

• RP - PLAYER
4 hours ago, Stevzor said:

Hey Elgee thanks! I've ordered all 15 books today haha so should have them all within 3 days for delivery 🙂

If I end up hooked on the books I don't think I will be able to hold off moving onto the next book haha

Good luck 🙂

On 11/5/2023 at 10:50 PM, Stevzor said:

Hey Heavy,

Thanks good to know regarding New Spring! gonna get the first few ordered off Amazon shortly and get stuck in, looking forward to it! 

Seconded. Definitely don't start with New Spring. Maybe upon reread, but TEotW is the perfect introduction to this world. I was recommended to read New Spring after book 5, which was an okay moment, but perhaps not ideal. It might be better to read it in written order, so between books 10 and 11, or alternatively after book 11 as a bridge between Jordan and Sanderson. Also I've seen it recommended as dessert after finishing the series, but that seems weird to me.

I personally think reading New Spring either after book 10 or after book 11 would work best, depending on whether you can stomach taking time off after book 10, which ends in a bit of a cliffhanger (I could not 😉 ). What are other people's thoughts on this?

Edited by Asthereal

• RP - PLAYER

I don't know. I have a terrible confession to make. Starting another re-read, I realised I very often over-look New Spring, so after The Great Hunt went back to and I've never read it all.

It has been sitting on my desk for years, my books are all over the place after moving countries so it just sat there by itself after I found it second hand and apparently has sat their quite alone and lonely as I have never picked it up. 

So not really qualified to answer, lol.

1 hour ago, RextheDog said:

i almost envy you.

imagine getting the read this epic for the first time 'again'....

its one of those questions isnt it....like hearing the beatles for the first time, and knowing the hype....

I totally know the feeling, same when I've binged a great series and I see someone saying they are just starting it, I always think you are so lucky lol. 

45 minutes ago, Asthereal said:

Seconded. Definitely don't start with New Spring. Maybe upon reread, but TEotW is the perfect introduction to this world. I was recommended to read New Spring after book 5, which was an okay moment, but perhaps not ideal. It might be better to read it in written order, so between books 10 and 11, or alternatively after book 11 as a bridge between Jordan and Sanderson. Also I've seen it recommended as dessert after finishing the series, but that seems weird to me.

I personally think reading New Spring either after book 10 or after book 11 would work best, depending on whether you can stomach taking time off after book 10, which ends in a bit of a cliffhanger (I could not 😉 ). What are other people's thoughts on this?

Some have mentioned reading NS after books 3-4, so you think after 10 or 11 is the best time to read it? 

13 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

I don't know. I have a terrible confession to make. Starting another re-read, I realised I very often over-look New Spring, so after The Great Hunt went back to and I've never read it all.

It has been sitting on my desk for years, my books are all over the place after moving countries so it just sat there by itself after I found it second hand and apparently has sat their quite alone and lonely as I have never picked it up. 

Hahahaha

What country did you move to? 

On 11/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, Stevzor said:

Some have mentioned reading NS after books 3-4, so you think after 10 or 11 is the best time to read it? 

I don't think I mentioned reading New Spring after book 3 or 4. Those are bad moments for sure. 🙂 

I was recommended by YTer Daniel Greene to read NS after book 5, but that was an older video, and he now recommends something else. I did it, so I can attest it's an okay moment but not ideal. It yanks you out of a certain storyline that I at least didn't want to get pulled out of, but it does give us something extra about a character you'll be interested in reading more about after book 5 ends, so there's that.

Reading NS after the whole series is done will make it feel silly and inconsequential, so I'd be against that.

So the final recommendations I read - reading it in order of release (so after book 10) or after the final Jordan book (so after 11) , make the most sense to me. Since book 10 ends in a cliffhanger of sorts, one could argue that's a bad moment, so my vote would go to after book 11 and before you dive into the Sanderverse.

(PS. Don't worry about the author switch. Sanderson wrote good stuff and most people have some of his books among their WoT favorites. I have The Gathering Storm in my top 3, for instance.)

Edited by Asthereal

Can't recommend when to read NS - at least not an ideal.  But as I re-read the series, NS always comes first.

@Stevzor Welcome to the books (and a new addiction)!  My favorite series - all time.  As @Elgee said, there are very obvious differences between show and books.  Be interested to hear if you like one version better than the other after reading the first couple books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 6:59 AM, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

I think you were incredibly lucky to find new WoT material...an entire Novella...after all these years.

• RP - PLAYER
1 hour ago, Aan-Alone said:

I think you were incredibly lucky to find new WoT material...an entire Novella...after all these years.

I am enjoying it. Ickle Moraine and Suian are very cute. But for some reason I cannot concentrate on the audiobook, so I'm making way very slowly through the physical book. Don't feel any need to rush it. 

Hello Figs & Mice! 

I also just love your name! But Mother Elgee and I have shared a brain for a while now, so no surprise there! I agree Juilin always did get half a story, what a Warder he'd have made! 

I also read NS really far along, after 4-5 rereads? It was great for context, and I liked seeing how it all started! Seeing how everyone set their course and putting it back in the storyline was great for me, but it did read to me like a quick dip back into my favorite world. 

Please come down and visit the social side when you get the chance. I say down because we are at the bottom of the boards, but a great place to make friends and have fun. It's a bit like if rl landed in Randland! 

On 11/6/2023 at 4:01 PM, Stevzor said:

I like your style haha and good call….im relatively new enough that I never had to wait to read on to the next book. I often wonder how the OG fans managed the wait between books. Although maybe I have some idea as a fan of ASOIAF lol. Welcome!