DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who else lives in a perpetual loop of reading and re-reading the books?

Shawlee

So I was wondering this today:

Ever since I started reading the the books for the first time, way back when, I have been living in this perpetual loop of reading and re-reading and once the whole series is done going back to EoTW and staring all over again.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I read other books in between 😅, but I always have a WoT book going on the background. It feels like home to me. And it kinda soothes me to be in Robert's world.

Like at the moment I am reading and re-reading Path . 

Is there anyone else who is like me or am I just a psycho (as per my best friend who introduced me to RJs world)?

I really gotta know!

Edited by Shawlee
I can't spell apparently 😒

• Shawlee changed the title to Who else lives in a perpetual loop of reading and re-reading the books?
  • RP - PLAYER

I did read through the series generally once every time a new book came out, and read the first few sometimes without ever finishing, up til 2006, when I moved countries. Then I read possibly only a New Spring and then the Gathering Storm until this year when I started on the audiobooks again to finally finish the series, the watch the show just in time for the second series of the show. Now I have started listening again, though I should reread New Spring, and track down things like River of Souls and get the companion... 

Being on here makes you aware of so many different aspects of the story it is crazy to think you can look at some thing you have read so often from a different angle. 

Edit: so no, no more psycho than many of us. (about your reading habits anyway 🙂

Edited by HeavyHalfMoonBlade

Not any more - once upon a time.

I had move on from WoT, but the TV series brought back lots of nostalgia.

Dunno if I will ever re-read it. A few times I had re-read a book/series that I used to like a long time ago, and I find it falls short of my memory of it, and in some ways ruin the memory of it. 

I used to, went on a bit of a break after Brandon Sanderson finished the series, then came back to it about 4-5 years ago and have read back through it twice now, but I have read all the books out of any order multiple times. I don't know if I will ever read it again the most recent run throughs where more to see if all the flaws I now see in the series and the style of writing where just me in a bad mood on a read through or just me having taken that break and reading a ton of different stuff and getting older. The last 3 books especially, I always had a sense they where bad, now I find myself thinking they are possibly some of the worst fantasy I have ever read, I also keep finding myself wondering if I should just ignore eotw if I ever do another read through. 

So yeah, am in a bit of a hate love relationship at the moment, finding I prefer the story being told on TV so far in many ways more then the early books, kind of wish RJ had made some of the same creative choices and really wonder what story we would have got if he had known when he started EOTW he had 14 books to tell this story in and he didn't need to make a LOTR ripoff to get the first one published, I find myself more and more wanting to read that story. 

i re read the series 'every couple of years'...

takes me around a year to get through the 14 books.

i do have to say...once i start the 're read', im not one to have other books going. once i start, its WOT or nothing.

i have never done it, but i read someone on here went through the whole books just reading one characters arc (say, Rand) which i thought would be good.

when i finished my last complete re read,  i went back to when Mat 'captured' Tuon....as i love the whole courting of them two....and read (only)Mat through to the end of book 13....its actually not that easy to do

I'm a pretty big re-reader in general. Once I find a good series I can easily return to it every couple of years. Though I also want to keep at least some distance between re-reads so that I don't become bored or too familiar with the series. Admittedly, WoT was an outlier in the sense that I immediately started a re-read after finishing it for the first time. I just couldn't keep away from it and wanted to relive the journey and pick up the things I had missed on my first read. 

I'm not exactly sure how many times I've re-read it since that first time in 2014 but I'd guess three times. Latest was in the summer just before season 1 came out and it was just as good as I remembered. I'm currently about to finish Malazan for the first time but I've definitely felt a yearning for WoT even while reading other works, especially now that the tv-series keeps the discussion around it so lively. I think I'll get back to WoT after Malazan. Will be interesting to read it after two seasons of tv adaption and think about what I would have included from the books.           

now I reread all books once every 4-5 years I would say - it used to be way more frequent : each time a new book was published, I used to read it, then reread all books till the beginning and the newly published book. I guess I re-read some classic every few years also, like Lords of the Rings, Dune, Guy Gavriel Kay books, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finished a relisten of the full (audio) series and came onto Dragonmount to manage the melancholy of no more WOT.  I then came onto this thread. 

I started the series at the time book 6 was released.  I am forever grateful for Harriet and Brandon for completing the WOT story, after RJ passed away.   I respect Harriet's decision for no further entries or spinoffs into WOT world, however it is always difficult when such a vibrant story ends.  I have not reread/listened to anoter series other than WOT.

Like many, I also believe that RJ must have really enjoyed the Matt-Tuon arc, and for shorter reads I have compiled the relevant chapters, or parts, into one read without the intervening Perrin and Egwene distractions.  

Edited by Roman UK

I'm OG and had to wait in between books for the next in the series to be released. I think all of them. So I'd reread prior to release to catch myself up.

After AMoL, I didn't touch WoT for a very long time. Close to a decade. How foolish I've been. 😂🤣

Edited by Aan-Alone
Old man memory isn't very reliable with chronological events.