DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Setalle Anan Appreciation

Gary Again

Was just going through a reread and one character that I really adore the more I read the book is Setale Anan she is such an interesting character.

I like how she's an example of the risks of researching, she burns herself out but doesn't die or give up, doesn't have some massive quest just has a family and builds a life with them. The way she becomes protective of Mat is great she just kind of adopts him. How she stands up for Mat and feels like Elayne and Nynaeve are bad news. Drags Elayne and Nynaeve through the city and every tavern telling everyone how they were broke because they were trying to outspend each other to impress a man and needed help. Just kind of rolling with abducting the heir to the empress, breaking out a bunch of Damanae from a powerful invading force and joining the circus. Then she takes on the role of getting between Tuon, Aes Sedai, Sul'dam and manages to humanize everyone and get the respect of all of them. I also think she does the most to try and change Tuon's mind on things and it's through again treating her like a human being and having discussions with her instead of treating her like some kind of monster.

Really just love her character, what she stands for and how she goes about her business. Just kind of quietly making things better for the people around her without a lot of fanfare but just being decent to people. Seems like the more I read the series she becomes one of my favorite characters.

Edited by Gary Again

• Gary Again changed the title to Setalle Anan Appreciation
  • RP - PLAYER

She is very understated, the way she manages to operate at a level equivalent to Tuon, while also keeping the Aes Sedai in line is very cool. And she does not threaten to spank anyone. Does she? Well, she does not actually do it, at least.

I was sure that she was going to turn out to be one of the ex-Amyrlins that Siuan was always talking to Egwene about, so sure that it still feels a bit hollow now that I know that she isn't. And also, when was someone going to tell her that it can be healed? It makes me itch, and no one is helping me reach it. Looking at you, Mr. Sanderson.

The only downside is Mat's fascination with her breasts and cleavage. I think maybe the books made a bit too much of that. Though maybe that was meant to misdirect you from thinking she was an ex-Aes Sedai? I've blanked out Olver's creepiness with full grown women so I don't know if he joined in with the lechery. 

It's amazing how she gets things done without hitting people or treating them like idiots that need to be hearded. I almost think she was put in as a counterpoint to all of that, it's interesting she behaves opposite to most everyone in the books. I never thought of that but she would have been the perfect Amerlyn at the end. If you can keep the peace between Tuon, Aes Sedai and Sul'dam in a circus wagon and still have them all respect you at the end of it I think she would have done an amazing job with the sitters. I think she would also have some awe around her as the one woman that came back from being cut off the source and just went on with her life. She faced down the one thing they are all absolutely terrified of I feel like that would get her a lot of tower cred.

She would have continued Egwene's goal of being involved with other channelers because she was herself cast out of the tower so she would have empathy for them and also be willing to leave them alone if they wanted because she spent a good part of her life wanting the same thing. That's a tough balance for Aes Sedai it's either they cast women out and want nothing to do with them or basically want to drag them into the tower and not let them leave and it's basically all or nothing but I think Setalle would get it in a way other Aes Sedai would struggle to. 

Then politically she would be the best Amerlyn to deal with the Seanchan in a productive way even including Egwene. I really couldn't see Egwene ever creating peace with the Seanchan and I think she would always be too inflexible where eventually she would cause a war with them. Setalle's approach is really the approach I could see working with Tuon and you notice it in Tuon's POV how much she respects Setalle and she mentions that they have both changed each other's minds through their discussion over time. 

On 10/16/2023 at 5:13 PM, TravellingIsAGatewayDrug said:

I know it would largely invalidate a lot of what the character was about, but I was hoping that she would've been healed by Nynaeve and return as a user of the One power in some capacity.

Healed by Asha'man so that she'd be back at full power.

I'd expected her ter'angreal knowledge to come in handy. Plus, her reactions to advancements in ter'angreal knowledge would've been some good fan service.

Yeah I really wanted her and Leanne/Siuan to run into an Asha'man, she would have been really interested in what Elayne and Avihenda were up to and she really could have helped them out and would have been blown away by their capabilities. In a lot of ways Aviendha's talent to read things would have made research a lot safer for Setalle and her experience would temper Elayne a bit I think they would have made a great team and found some interesting things out. Also would have just been funny to see Mat's reaction to everyone he knows becoming an Aes Sedai lol. 

Overall I just really love how RJ brought that whole story out you hear of her as a cautionary tale to researching terangreal in an unrelated situation and then you meet her as a character and just over time see these clues to she has some past as an Aes Sedai and then when you put it together it's a beautiful arc.

havent got a lot to offer here, but yeah, shes one of my favorite characters as the books slowed down shes front and centre

i love the books, i flit in and out of alot of stories....currently enjoying the travelling show/Tuon/Mat arc ....

not sure if anyone here realises but she has ample bossom...not that mat would look

Edited by RextheDog