DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Costume appreciation thread.

LightHelpMe

What were your favorite costumes this season? There was so much to like!. But my favorites have to be Moiraine's blouse in episode 8, and Alanna's dress in Ep 1 when she is teaching the novices. The way the front was designed was reminiscent of the way women tucked scarves into their bodices in the 18th century, and I love the puffy sleeves as well. I also love Perrin's vest, and surprisingly Verin's dresses. Simple, but with some nice touches.

11 hours ago, Yamezt said:

Rand in his red jacket. 

I quite like Suroth's outfit - It is like a very westernized Hanfu/Hanbok/Kimono 

I loved Rand's red coat to. I liked how it had a layered look to it.

Have you seen the IG reel that the head costume designer posted about it? She explains the inspiration and everything that went into constructing it. Sharon_gilham_costume_design

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx2cK1YImKC/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Edited by LightHelpMe

2 hours ago, Mirefox said:

I liked the Suldam costumes and the Whiteckoaks were better than in past episodes.  I personally don’t (subjectively) like the look of the Seanchan but I think the design is objectively good.

I was very impressed with the Whitecloaks armor, and the way they used it to show differences in rank. Geofram's has gold in it, while Dain's had silver. Couldn't get a good look at Valda's since he was being savaged by bestest boy Hopper.

1 hour ago, LightHelpMe said:

Have you seen the IG reel that the head costume designer posted about it? She explains the inspiration and everything that went into constructing it. Sharon_gilham_costume_design

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx2cK1YImKC/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Thanks for that!

It was really interesting.

They mentioned that the Suroth's outfit was inspired by Imperial Chinese and Mesopotamia. Then later described the outer coat as Kimono (so maybe some japanese influence  - though it could be they didn't know the Chinese term for the outer coat and used the term most commonly known in the West).

I am not familiar with Mesopotamia's outfits so wouldn't have been able to pick that up.

I like that they had the reptilain print on the Suroth's "Kimono"/outer coat. They said they were trying to go for "alien" but it is a nice link to the Imperial Chinese influence that they drew their inspiration from as the ancient Chinese Emperors wore Dragon Robes (Longpao), and the Dragon is reptilain. 

When I first saw Suroth's outfit on TV, I actually thought the patterns were smudgey Dragons because I thought they were trying to replicate the Dragon Robe, but since they cannot use the Dragon motiffs (since that obviously belongs to Rand). So the only choice they had was to smudge the Dragons haha. Not sure if that was in their consideration when they picked the reptilain pattern.

I never noticed the under garment for the Seanchan Soldiers till this video. I really like it too. It makes me think of a Duan Da. Wonder if there are Mesopotamian influence in that as well.

Edited by Yamezt