DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 Episode 7: Daes Dae'Mar

SinisterDeath

14 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

I liked the episode. Definitely not the best of S2 on first watch but not bad in any way. I'm so glad Moiraine has her powers back. What did Verin say exactly to Leane? Moiraine mentioned that she was good with her words and I guess Verin didn't lie

she said something like... The Amyrlin needs your help at the foregate it is on fire... *which is true*

Go now.

That is an order.  *which her "go now" was an order just not from the Amyrlin*

or something close to that

Lan randomly finding out some secret info about saidin and of Logain's Talent out of his ass was very bizarre. It almost kind of suggested that he'd always known but "took this long to do his duty" because he was moping over his emotional damage. What a useless subplot that finally ended after 7 episodes. And what a relief that it's over.

Also did not enjoy Siuan really stupid decisions with regards to the Dragon Reborn. Her whole little secret with Moiraine is to find a way to support and guide Rand while holding back the larger Tower's impulse to try to fear and "cage" and dominate him. That's what made them interesting and clever and their little relationship so spicy. Them essentially "breaking up" now because of Siuan's change of heart (that had no build up because she was MIA for 5 episodes) was really weak.  

Really like Elayne and Nynaeve's dynamic and the Aiel, but other parts of this episode was mostly odd. I'm also not sure where they're going with Mat being born in the Darkness or whatever, it's been two whole seasons and it's gone nowhere.

If Lanfear could have just randomly yeeted Mat to Falme after knocking him out, why involve Min at all? If the Dark wants Moiraine dead now, why did Ishy only bother with stilling her to begin with?

Edited by ilovezam

3 hours ago, Finnssss22 said:

I highly doubt that Tea did anything other than put Mat to sleep. Everything after was Ishamael's doing in TAR.

You're wrong here.

I went to the X-Ray, and everything that happens with Mat after he drinks the tea is listed as occurring in Falme; were it occurring in Tela'ran'rhiod, it would've been labeled as such.

1 minute ago, DigificWriter said:

You're wrong here.

I went to the X-Ray, and everything that happens with Mat after he drinks the tea is listed as occurring in Falme; were it occurring in Tela'ran'rhiod, it would've been labeled as such.

You're wrong here.

You're wrong here.

Flicker flicker flicker?

I didn't mean to post the same thing thrice, if that's a what you're trying to allude to with this comment.

Anyway, additional thoughts on the episode:

1) I don't like that Rafe and his co-writer used what were borderline wedding vows from her to Siuan in order to force Moiraine into compliance

2) All of the people who predicted that Moiraine was Shielded ended up being right, but Rafe and his team still approached her story as if she'd been Stilled, which is, IMO, important to remember

3) I'm confused as to how collaring a sul'dahm is actually going to be of any help to Elayne and Nynaeve, but we'll see if Episode 8 clarifies anything

I am guessing that they will use the suldam as a fake damane and dress as a suldam themselves to enter the kennels to find Egwene. That is when they realize that a suldam should not be able to wear a collar, and the secret is exposed.

There were a few things to nitpick. Like someone above said, I thought it was poor writing to have Lan come out with the "I read some where that back in the age of legends they could tie off weaves".... just a silly thing to say. He could have said "Verin said she read some where..." and it would have made much more sense just by adding a few words.

I am really curious if Moiraine's sister will now expose Liandrin or if she will stay out of Aes Sedai business. Liandrin should be getting exposed really soon.

Edited by Rhaze

31 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

2) All of the people who predicted that Moiraine was Shielded ended up being right, but Rafe and his team still approached her story as if she'd been Stilled, which is, IMO, important to remember

I think most, if not all, of us were on the "Moiraine thinks she is stilled" boat. Not many of us actually thought she was stilled.

1 hour ago, DigificWriter said:

You're wrong here.

The X-ray cheat doesn't always work. In ep-3 it's pretty clear Ishamael visited with Perrin in the wagon in TAR and it didn't say TAR then either. 

Nor did it tell you Nyneave was still inside the Arches the 3rd trip of her testing.

There were other instances last season of purposefully not giving something away in the X-ray.

Only when it actually gives you some extra knowledge does it matter. You can't infer anything from it when it doesn't.

Edited by Finnssss22

14 minutes ago, Finnssss22 said:

In ep-3 it's pretty clear Ishamael visited with Perrin in the wagon in TAR

Except he didn't.

Every scene this season that has taken place in Tela'ran'rhiod has been consistently and explicitly labeled as such in the X-Ray.

Your belief that certain scenes took place in TAR doesn't mean that they actually did.

Also, the X-Ray providing location info is a completely new feature for Season 2, so your comment about things not being given away by the X-Ray in Season 1 makes no sense.

Edited by DigificWriter

2 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

Except he didn't.

Every scene this season that has taken place in Tela'ran'rhiod has been consistently and explicitly labeled as such in the X-Ray.

Your belief that certain scenes took place in TAR doesn't mean that they actually did.

Your belief that certain scenes didn't take place in TAR doesn't mean they didn't.

You believe what you want and I'll believe what I want.

Only time will tell whose belief was correct.

27 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

My comments about the X-Ray features and the locations of specific scenes are not opinions; they are statements of fact.

So what fact did it provide you when Nyneave was still in the Arches again?

And what are you even talking about? The X-ray didn't even provide location in s1.

Again, if it gives you something it's a fact. Absent of a fact doesn't make it a fact.

It took me all of 2 minutes to go back to s1e2 at the 19:40 mark when Rand coughs up the bat in TAR to see no X-ray location of being in TAR lol

According to your logic, he wasn't in TAR there cause the X-ray didn't say he was but it's crystal clear he absolutely was in TAR.

The X-ray didn't even name Ishamael in any of his scenes prior to e7.

They keep things out of the X-ray when needed, that's an actual fact.

Move on friend.

Edited by Finnssss22

Whilst I liked this episode it feels a bit.. off. Especially coming from the last three banger episodes.

Loved Lanfear, sporting her favourite colors having a guy ole time with some casual murdering. Just tickles me this is where we finally see her in white and silver.

Fun nod to Lanfears secret fast travel and how she's playing her own game putting a hit on Moraine.

"This a sex thing or a murder thing?"

Ishy turning around to consider gave me a chuckle - "neither unfortunately"

Eggys training was cool, Renna's facial acting is superb. I swear that girl doesn't know how to blink. Liked how she was trying to be patient and understanding and Eggy's all like - lol, im totally going to kill you 😇

While we're here, what's up with Eggy's capturers bathing her? I thought it was Elayne that has a thing for baths 😅

I still can't believe Moraine just left the Amyrlin Seat wounded on the ground before leaving town with the Dragon and a Forsaken! Why didn't she wait and use her new-found power to heal her lover of many years? She did the wrong thing, leaving her there. She is supposed to know right from wrong. The only way she might be able to redeem herself is to rescue all the Ais Sedai imprisoned in Farne.

5 hours ago, DigificWriter said:

All of the people who predicted that Moiraine was Shielded ended up being right, but Rafe and his team still approached her story as if she'd been Stilled, which is, IMO, important to remember

When you’re wrong, you’re wrong. And you should own it. Though, I do think that the writers are confusing non-readers like crazy randomly and quickly introducing things. When did Lan read stuff about the Age of Legends? Why wouldn’t Moiraine start reading about what Forsaken can do? Does anybody have an idea what the show’s rules are with people who have been stilled/gentled/shielded? Because apparently a gentled Logain still can train, but a shielded Moiraine is as worthless as 14 Aes Sedai that can only make it rain (rather than fight the Forsaken or go with to protect their Amylrin). 

5 hours ago, DigificWriter said:

I'm confused as to how collaring a sul'dahm is actually going to be of any help to Elayne and Nynaeve, but we'll see if Episode 8 clarifies anything

I think they’ll use her for info - how do you take it off, how do you get in, ect… 

and then, one of them, I’m thinking Nynaeve has to wear the collar to get in. That would be more interesting. 

Even though I didn’t particularly like a lot of choices in this episode. I’m pleased that A) it was entertaining/good Tv

B) I do think they are trying to course correct to get it on track to more closely follow the books - they’re making weird decisions to do that, but we’re inching closer. 

Now - I think it would have been a better choice to go the Harry Potter or GoT route - try to be as faithful to the books as possible early on, but then once you have momentum people are going to watch regardless, so then you can make changes. But … it might be a really good choice for WoT because books 4-6 were significantly better than 1-3 anyways. So we’ll have to see if this season is popular. I hope they give us season 4 and it gets approved at the conclusion of this season! 

Edited by DreadLord31

8 hours ago, Agitel said:

Gitara's delivery didn't exactly sell me either. Definitely did not have the gravity and momentum it did in the books.

Overall I think I liked the episode, though.

I agree that this was a big miss, they tried, but should have spent less time on Siuan and Moraine and talk of fishwives, and more on establishing who Gitara was, and giving that scene more time and giving the foretelling more of a poetic importance.